VW brain fart

Old February 12th 05, 02:34 AM
ihatespam

Default VW brain fart

It's probably just me, but the upcoming Jetta (most recent auto mags have
pics) has to be one of the WORST VW designs to come down the pike in a long
time. I mean, styling inspiration via Corolla? How more mundane and boring
can a car get than that? I'm not much of a fan of the newest Golf (somehow
reminds me of the current dopey Honda Civic SI hatchback, but with more
lumps), but the Jetta is as dog-butt dull-looking as they come.

The March '05 issue of Automobile Magazine reports the U.S. price creep for
the new Jetta will be approaching $30k, depending on options and variants.
Boy, for that sort of money there are plenty of alternatives out there.
Infiniti G35 sedan? A base A4? Add 4 or 5 thou more, and I'm into a WRX
STI, or an Acura TL. Yeah, like I really would want a made-in-Mexico,
probably-still-loaded-with-QC-issues Jetta instead.

Good going, Volkswagen.

Old February 12th 05, 05:21 AM
Harvey DiddleSquat

Yup, it looks like a Jap car now alright.
HD

Old February 12th 05, 08:00 AM
Matt B.

"ihatespam" > wrote in message
> It's probably just me, but the upcoming Jetta (most recent auto mags have
> pics) has to be one of the WORST VW designs to come down the pike in a
> long
> time. I mean, styling inspiration via Corolla? How more mundane and
> boring
> can a car get than that?

I'd have to see it in the metal to really see but I do agree it's very
Corolla.

> I'm not much of a fan of the newest Golf (somehow reminds me of the
> current dopey Honda Civic SI hatchback, but with more lumps)

the 4 door Golf V is nice but the 2 door I do agree looks like a honda
product because of the shape of the rear side windows (that's what looks
very Honda about it).

>but the Jetta is as dog-butt dull-looking as they come.

I don't think it's dull, but it's mostly like a more expensive looking
Corolla. At least it doesn't look cheap though.

Old February 12th 05, 10:09 AM
transfixed

ihatespam wrote:
> It's probably just me,

no, other people have remarkes similarly (although I don't agree)

but the upcoming Jetta (most recent auto mags have
> pics) has to be one of the WORST VW designs to come down the pike in a long
> time. I mean, styling inspiration via Corolla? How more mundane and boring
> can a car get than that?

Unfortunately, that styling sells in the US.

> The March '05 issue of Automobile Magazine reports the U.S. price creep for
> the new Jetta will be approaching $30k, depending on options and variants.

And I have an island off the CA cost to sell to you. I would suggest
looking at the US VW web site, where you can see that the Jetta V starts
at $20K and is quite nicely equipped at $25K MSRP (probably -$2000
actual sales price or so in 6 months). Also, about the same price as
previous version, except safer, larger, and more powerful base engine.

> Boy, for that sort of money there are plenty of alternatives out there.
> Infiniti G35 sedan? A base A4? Add 4 or 5 thou more, and I'm into a WRX
> STI, or an Acura TL.

Not for $20K, any of the above.

> Yeah, like I really would want a made-in-Mexico,

Any racial undertones, here? My 13-year old Mexican-assembled Golf has
been almost flawless, incredibly low cost of ownership.

> probably-still-loaded-with-QC-issues Jetta instead.

perhaps, although reliability is relative (i.e., for some people, having
twice as many issues in a given amount of time is not an issue).

> Good going, Volkswagen.

Agree, except for some of the styling.

Old February 12th 05, 11:39 AM
ihatespam

> Unfortunately, that styling sells in the US.

Not exactly...that styling sells for Toyota and partially for its sibling
Lexus, specifically. Toyota has this weird aura powerful enought that it
seems they could make their cars look like piles of dog crap and the
faithful will still line up for the things, madly waving fists of cash and
willing to get on waiting lists. Oh what a feeling.

> And I have an island off the CA cost to sell to you. I would suggest
> looking at the US VW web site, where you can see that the Jetta V starts
> at $20K and is quite nicely equipped at $25K MSRP (probably -$2000 actual
> sales price or so in 6 months). Also, about the same price as previous
> version, except safer, larger, and more powerful base engine.

Cali's gonna slip into the Pacific, taking said primo island and all.
Better to invest in oceanside property in Nevada.

I only repeat what the automotive press chooses to call facts. Automobile
Magazine quotes a price range of $18k to $28k, though they do preface it as
an estimate. But in the hopes of humoring you, I spent several minutes
visiting the Jetta pages on vw.com, and straight away I saw that they don't
list one of the upcoming engines for the new Jetta, a 197hp turbo 2.0L;
Automobile took that motor into account in their estimate. Given that the
GLI with the 1.8T bases at just over $25k US according to VW, and the two
listed factory options add nearly a grand to that price. For the bigger
2.0T, I don't see it as much of a stretch that the Jetta in that
configuration will be around $28k (which to me qualifies as closing in on
$30k, just like the mag describes), especially if VW chooses to add even
more goodies into the car to go with the 17 additional ponies, which most
manufacturers always seem to do to capitalize on the ($$$) profit. $28k for
197 horsies...be still my achin' heart.

>> Boy, for that sort of money there are plenty of alternatives out there.
>> Infiniti G35 sedan? A base A4? Add 4 or 5 thou more, and I'm into a
>> WRX
>> STI, or an Acura TL.

> Not for $20K, any of the above.

But at $28k, or maybe higher...yes, we the automobile public are into G35 /
A4 territory. And with creative financing or blowing off some of Google
stock in one's portfolio...smack dab into WRX STI range.

Even if we head towards the lower end of the pricing range, there's still
some mighty intriguing alternatives. The regular WRX is in there, the
sharp-looking Mazda 6 is as well, as is the new 'Roo Legacy (which,
according to the guy who owns the Focus I'm about to tell you about below,
is a hoot to drive). Somewhere in the middle there, the old standby
Altima's lurking around (with 260hp, at that), and of course there's the
Jetta's original styling inspirations, the Corolla and Camry, and their butt
boring-looking cousins, the Civic and Accord. And I haven't even begun to
discuss the possible domestic alternatives.

>> Yeah, like I really would want a made-in-Mexico,

> Any racial undertones, here? My 13-year old Mexican-assembled Golf has
> been almost flawless, incredibly low cost of ownership.

My neighbor's '00 Jetta has been a horror story; gave up on it and bought
some sort flavor of Focus. Hard to imagine a FORD doing better than
anything else (recall, anyone?), but he's had a lot less problems to talk
about with that car. A co-worker's '01 has been almost as bad. As for
myself, I can't say from personal experience, since I only own a '98 B5
Passat, which has been nearly as nightmarish collection of electrical
gremlins itself, but I can only blame Germany--and maybe some eastern
European subcontractor or three--on that. My wife's best friend's New
Beetle (don't know what year...think it's a '99 or '00) had been hell on
wheels, and we ain't talkin' about it as if the concept was some sort of
good thing. After she had her fill of reliving her Flower Power years, she
gave the car to her kid and bought herself a 3-series convert. That's what
I call a cruel parent.

Over the years, I've talked with other Jetta owners (as well as owners of
other types) while at the dealer for service...I'd say a clear majority
describe their cars as good to great, but it certainly seemed a greater than
usual number (to me) say there's too many things going wrong with their cars
at seemingly regular intervals, even with some of these so-called "good"
cars. I sure don't recall that being the case when we owned Hondas a decade
and a half or so ago. I certainly don't see that level of flaws with our
ancient Maxima (which hasn't been perfect itself, but a hell of a lot more
problem-free than our Passat has been, with nearly TWICE the number of years
in the books), or with my 993 (now you want to talk expensive to fix and
maintain? Good thing Porsche got my particular one right, knock wood).

> perhaps, although reliability is relative (i.e., for some people, having
> twice as many issues in a given amount of time is not an issue).

Glad to hear that 'some' people are more forgiving and tolerant. For the
rest of us, we'd just like the damn things to work RIGHT, with as little
fuss as possible.

>> Good going, Volkswagen.

> Agree, except for some of the styling.

Gee, I'm glad you appreciate unabashed, obtuse sarcasm.

After it's all said and done, the new Jetta's STILL FUGLY. But in a very
Toyota sort of way, which must make all those suits in Toyota City immensely
happy and smug.

Old February 12th 05, 05:19 PM
Rob Guenther

Well from the looks of it, for the Canadian market (where our dollar didn't
fluctuate and sink as low as the American dollar compared to the Euro) the
pricing is about the same as it was, maybe a little more money (for a bigger
car tho with more standard equipment... no one buys the top end GLI Jetta
around here, i've never seen one on the roads, but leather lined TDI GLS's
are quite common).

It looks like a Corolla only when you remember what a corolla looks like and
then have a look at the Jetta picture. I was reading a car and driver in
traffic (I was not driving, don't worry... one of my co-workers was) and a
Corolla drove by, they are "similar" but the Corolla looks more rounded,
cheap, taller, uglier... the Jetta still seems to have that solid German
look to it. I even convinced the one other guy who was in the car that it
looked like the Accord from the front and the Corollar from the back that
it, at least, doesn't really look too Corolla-ish from the back... The car
really looks like the new Audi's, so does the new Passat.

Don't look at the pics of that gold Jetta, they look the ugliest, look for
pictures of the silver one, from the front and back - looks a lot better -
tho why are they using those 10 spoke alloy wheels, they are the same as on
the Honda Accord...

I'll be going to the Toronto Auto show in about 9-10 days, I will get
pictures of the Jetta there, and of the Corolla, they are quite different in
appearance, i'm sure. (maybe i'll make some sort of comparing website... who
knows)

Plus you sit INSIDE the car - the interior looks great (from pictures) - and
apparantly the car has the best electric assist steering on the market, and
it drives really nicely too (the reviews from people who have drove it, and
from magazines say so, at least) - can't wait till I can test drive the new
inline 5 model, and TDI model (99hp and 184 lb-ft torque now - with 6spd
DSG!!).

Old February 13th 05, 12:26 AM
Woodchuck

VW must be trying to please it's owners... from years of hearing

My Honda doesn't do that
My Honda never breaks
My Honda never been in the shop in 200K miles
My Honda doesn't use oil-(see above)

I'm heading to "V" class early next month and may take some close-up shots
to post.

news

Old February 13th 05, 09:13 PM

Go to the VWoA web site: <http://www.vw.com/jetta/a5/#>

$20-25 Thousand, not $28K creeping to thirty as you seem to keep pressing.

Yes, VW wants to go upscale, no they don't yet have an entry level unit
sold in the US; Lupo/Polo.

Yes, the thing is funky in a styling that begs for larger wheels to
balance the look, and no- most people haven't yet seen it in real life yet.

Still, I'll agree there is room for a more expensive model at the top of
the range, but its a Twenty something Thousand dollar car.

TBerk
I'd rather have an Audi 3 Door A3.
Old February 14th 05, 02:45 AM
Tom Levigne

One of you is talking Canadian $ and the other U.S. $

Old February 15th 05, 08:45 AM
ihatespam

What's not to understand???

The $25k version at vw.com is NOT the 197hp 2.0T that Automobile Magazine
reported AND drove in the March '05 issue, which is the $28k (est) version
I'm referring to. VoA's website (at the time of my original post and
follow-up) does not include this bigger, more powerful engine.

So, are you claiming VW would plan on putting out a larger engine and not
raise prices?