1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI Window / Door Handle / Speaker / Door

Old May 2nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI Window / Door Handle / Speaker / Door

I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI. I just repaired the driver's side
front window since it was going up crooked. The clip was broken. I
couldn't get the broken clip off so with some Gorilla glue and clamps,
I was able to glue the broken piece back on and it seems to work fine.
Chrysler really makes me mad because they knew this was a problem and
didn't fix it.

Since I had to take the window off - that led to more problems...

While I was repairing that, I apparently broke part of the door handle
that attaches to this metal bar so that you can get out of the car. I
have tried to use Gorilla glue and crazy glue to repair this small
plastic piece from the door handle but it keeps breaking when I put the
metal piece back into it from the door. How much is somthing like this
going to cost for the parts? Also, how hard is this to do since it
seems like there are clips or fasteners of some type and not screws.
Do I need to buy the whole part with the wood trim or can I just buy
the moving part?

Since I was in the door anyways, I thought i would replace the speaker
that sounds blown. As I understand, this is another item that has a
service bulletin on it since it need an amplifier. Can they get
anything right? I just unplugged the speaker and wrapped electrical
tape around the end. Any other suggestions or will a new speaker have
the same problem? How do you get that speaker out?

Final problem is with the door panel. Not the metal part but the part
with the handle and window and lock buttons. I obviously didn't have
the door panel back on right since it kept sticking and was hard to get
out of the car. All of the 3 screw holes on the bottom of the door
panel have broken off. Is there anyway to repair this or am I just
better getting a new panel and that will fix the handle and the bottom
of the door problem? What will a new door panel cost installed?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Old May 2nd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"vegascyclist" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI. I just repaired the driver's side
> front window since it was going up crooked. The clip was broken. I
> couldn't get the broken clip off so with some Gorilla glue and clamps,
> I was able to glue the broken piece back on and it seems to work fine.
> Chrysler really makes me mad because they knew this was a problem and
> didn't fix it.
>
> Since I had to take the window off - that led to more problems...
>
> While I was repairing that, I apparently broke part of the door handle
> that attaches to this metal bar so that you can get out of the car. I
> have tried to use Gorilla glue and crazy glue to repair this small
> plastic piece from the door handle but it keeps breaking when I put the
> metal piece back into it from the door. How much is somthing like this
> going to cost for the parts? Also, how hard is this to do since it
> seems like there are clips or fasteners of some type and not screws.
> Do I need to buy the whole part with the wood trim or can I just buy
> the moving part?
>
> Since I was in the door anyways, I thought i would replace the speaker
> that sounds blown. As I understand, this is another item that has a
> service bulletin on it since it need an amplifier. Can they get
> anything right? I just unplugged the speaker and wrapped electrical
> tape around the end. Any other suggestions or will a new speaker have
> the same problem? How do you get that speaker out?
>
> Final problem is with the door panel. Not the metal part but the part
> with the handle and window and lock buttons. I obviously didn't have
> the door panel back on right since it kept sticking and was hard to get
> out of the car. All of the 3 screw holes on the bottom of the door
> panel have broken off. Is there anyway to repair this or am I just
> better getting a new panel and that will fix the handle and the bottom
> of the door problem? What will a new door panel cost installed?
>
> Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Gorilla glue and duct tape wont work, why not fix the problem the correct
way, If you put heat on the window lift plate it will come right off and
Chrysler sells the part for about $10. And now that you broke the door
handle and duct tape isn't available you gonna have to call your local
dealer and give them the last 8 of your vin and they will give you the part
number and price of the handle.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old May 2nd 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I used a hairdryer on the plate for almost 15 minutes and the plate
would not come off. The window is fine now. My next goal is to get
the interior door handle off. Does anybody have any instructions for
that? I called the Chrysler dealer and they want $100 for the handle.
Does that sound right? Is the Dodge Intrepid handle the same? Is it
easy to put on? Once the handle is fixed then I will move on to
putting the door back on properly.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

vegascyclist wrote:

> I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI. I just repaired the driver's side
> front window since it was going up crooked. The clip was broken. I
> couldn't get the broken clip off so with some Gorilla glue and clamps,
> I was able to glue the broken piece back on and it seems to work fine.
> Chrysler really makes me mad because they knew this was a problem and
> didn't fix it.

I'll be surprised if the Gorilla glue holds it for very long, but I
could be wrong. The clip comes off with blow dryer heat and pliers:
Once the glue is hot and soft, pry the clip off the glass with pliers -
pry off of one side of the glass, and then pull it free from the other side.

> ...All of the 3 screw holes on the bottom of the door
> panel have broken off. Is there anyway to repair this...

Read my post (4th post), complete with pictures, in this thread on the
300M Club forums: http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10560

There is a TSB on the problem, and DC came out with some special washers
to cover the holes and hold the door panel on. Take the part number for
the washers for your interior color to the dealer and have them order
them. You ought to get enough to do all of your doors - they all will
eventually break without these washers - the washers will prevent them
breaking.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old May 2nd 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

vegascyclist wrote:

> I used a hairdryer on the plate for almost 15 minutes and the plate
> would not come off.

It doesn't just fall off. You have to pry (bend) one side of the clip
loose from the glass with a pair of pliers after heating, and then heat
the other side and pull it loose. Any glue residue would be scraped
with a razor blade and wiped clean with rubbing alcohol before gluing on
a new clip.

> The window is fine now.

Might have been more accurate to say "The window is fine for now".

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old May 3rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Old May 3rd 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

What is the going price for a driver's side front left handle? They
want a 100 here for the part. Any good sources for used parts?

Old May 3rd 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

vegascyclist wrote:

> What is the going price for a driver's side front left handle? They
> want a 100 here for the part. Any good sources for used parts?
> Bill Putney wrote:

I've never had to replace one so I don't know the answer to that, but
from reading LH car forums, it's my understanding that you used to have
to buy the whole door panel, but that they later made just the handle
available.

Get the part number, then go to an on-line discount dealer like
www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and plug the part number into their parts
price look-up. Whatever the going price is at your run of the mill list
or list plus 20% local dealer, you will save quite a bit even after
shipping cost.

For used, you might try www.car-part.com - they will present you with
contact info. and pricing for local junk yards that have the part. You
would not find the handle itself, but may score an entire panel for a
good price. Might be a little risky ensuring that the panel matches
your interior unless your intent is to salvage just the handle from it.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old May 3rd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Even if I do salvage just the handle, how do I attach it since it is
not attached with screws but some type of fasteners.

Old May 3rd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> vegascyclist wrote:
>
> > What is the going price for a driver's side front left handle? They
> > want a 100 here for the part. Any good sources for used parts?
> > Bill Putney wrote:

> I've never had to replace one so I don't know the answer to that, but
> from reading LH car forums, it's my understanding that you used to have
> to buy the whole door panel, but that they later made just the handle
> available.
>
> Get the part number, then go to an on-line discount dealer like
> www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and plug the part number into their parts
> price look-up. Whatever the going price is at your run of the mill list
> or list plus 20% local dealer, you will save quite a bit even after
> shipping cost.
>
> For used, you might try www.car-part.com - they will present you with
> contact info. and pricing for local junk yards that have the part. You
> would not find the handle itself, but may score an entire panel for a
> good price. Might be a little risky ensuring that the panel matches
> your interior unless your intent is to salvage just the handle from it.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

There is now a TSB that list all the handles by color code (it comes with
the bezel) and you are right, the door panel does not have to be replaced
anymore.
Just give the dealer the last 8 of the vin and they can give you the part
number.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech