Gm Delco alternator question

Old May 2nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Gm Delco alternator question

I have an alternator that has been checked out at the local Autozone,
it passed...it's good.
But I installed it in my car, A 1987 Firebird formula, and it doesn't
charge. I disconnected the battery output and used a test light on the
output, and nothing. There are 3 wires plugging into the alternator, I
know the first wire is power, the second goes to an idiot light, where
does the third wire go??

Old May 2nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Right around that year, GM decided for some strange reason to flip the
alternators plug's pins. One is the excite wire that 'turns on' the
alternator. I would swap pin one and two in the white plug to see if
that turns it on.

I have seen this happen a few times.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 2nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

CGBear wrote:
> I have an alternator that has been checked out at the local Autozone,
> it passed...it's good.
> But I installed it in my car, A 1987 Firebird formula, and it doesn't
> charge. I disconnected the battery output and used a test light on the
> output, and nothing. There are 3 wires plugging into the alternator, I
> know the first wire is power, the second goes to an idiot light, where
> does the third wire go??

I'm assuming that this is a 10SI, the third wire parallels the battery
wire, it is there for remote voltage sensing. it should have +12V on
it even when disconnected from the alt.

nate

Old May 2nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old May 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Should the alternator still charge even if the wires aren't hooked to
the regulator? Or do you have to have one wire with power going to the
regulator?

Old May 2nd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You need all 3 wires hooked up. That is the reason they put 3 wires on
it.

One feeds the battery power, one senses voltage level and one 'excites'
or turns on the alternator's magnetic field.

Folks can make pretty good trail arc welders by bypassing the regulator
on those alternators..... I sure wouldn't want that feeding my battery
or electronics.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 4th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I got a wiring schematic from a buddy that has the Alldata programs.
It rained a bit today so I'll hopefully get it figured out tomorow
morning. Thank you for your input.

Old May 4th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Just remember they switched pin one and pin two on the smaller plastic
plug in the mid 80's. Hooking it wrong won't hurt anything, it just
won't charge.

You can even see the pin numbers stamped on the case and on the plug.

Mike