Typical response from SUV driver

Old June 21st 05, 08:40 PM
JohnH

> Her: "I am trying to find my 6 kids that I am usualy driving around"

Six kids, eh? And you think a puny SUV will use a lot of energy in it's
lifetime?

If you really want to save the planet, kill yourself!

Old June 21st 05, 10:44 PM
Roy Shroyer

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Roy Shroyer > wrote:
>>
>>As a country, we are extremely wasteful of energy. Not just in what we
>>choose to drive, but in what we eat, and how we live in general. How many
>>posters on this group could get by without a personal automobile for more
>>than a few days? Not many I would bet.

> That we USE a lot of energy is undeniable. That we waste it is quite
> debatable, unless you're an ascetic who considers all luxury to be
> waste.
>
> I could "get by" without a personal automobile indefinitely. But
> that's just what it would be, "getting by".
>
>>Once gas prices start creeping up past $4, lower to middle income people
>>will start to either curb their use of fuel, or dump the gas hogs for more
>>efficient vehicles, similar to what happened in the 70's and early 80's.

> You said that about $2.
> --

No, I didn't. At least a google search I did didn't find it.

It doesn't hurt to know that an economic meltdown is coming in this country,
whether its due to oil prices or a collapsing real estate bubble or
government insolvency.

There, you've been warned.

Peace.

Old June 21st 05, 10:57 PM
Roy Shroyer

> Transportation yes, but this includes trains, planes, and trucks (18
> wheelers). Actual personal automobiles is under 5%

Please provide a cite if you don't mind.

Here is one:
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/..._OilDemand.pdf

and another
http://www.webofcreation.org/greenin...transport.html

" US cars and light trucks alone consume about as much energy as domestic
oil producers extract. Throw in all other uses of petroleum -- freight and
air travel, home heating and cooling, industrial uses, and electricity
production -- and one can see why our country needs to import about half of
the oil we use. "

And a third: http://www.pbs.org/now/science/autoemissions2.html

" Today, personal vehicles account for 40% of all U.S. oil consumption and
19% of all U.S. carbon emissions. "

Again, every site linked here seems to lean toward 30+% of total
consumption.

Of course, accepting the above facts forces the reader to look at his own
individual consumption which isn't always pleasant. Or, it forces them to
label me as a kook and continue on as before.

Bottom line: Oil is a finite resource.

We Americans are using it up as fast as we possibly can with no regard for
the consequences, or for the lives of subsequent generations who will
undoubtedly be forced to deal with those consequences.

Sad really. Most people give absolutely no thought whatsoever to the finite
limits of this planet and how much energy they use.

That will be our ultimate downfall as a society and a culture.

Old June 21st 05, 11:10 PM
Bob Flaminio

Cartrivision1 wrote:
> The sad truth whether you want to admit it or not is that most if not
> the majority of large trucks/SUV's are usually being driven around
> empty, snd/or not trailering anything. I have another term that I
> coined for those trucks....that is "Vanity Vrucks". You know, the
> ones with the shiny tool boxes, grille guards, no hitch, etc., and
> with not a speck of dirt or scratch to be seen.

They just need some of this stuff:
http://www.sprayonmud.com/

--
Bob

Old June 22nd 05, 04:26 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Roy Shroyer > wrote:

>It doesn't hurt to know that an economic meltdown is coming in this country,
>whether its due to oil prices or a collapsing real estate bubble or
>government insolvency.
>
>There, you've been warned.

Without more specifics, it doesn't help, either. If I know there's a
"real estate bubble" in my area which is going to crash in about 5
years time, I can sell my house in 4 years, rent for a while, and pick
up some cheap real estate. If I know oil prices are going to go to
300 dollars a barrel by 2010, I can make decisions based on that. If
the whole US government is going down, I can look into emigration
(though if it takes the whole world with it, that might not help).

But if all I know is that at least one of those things is going to
happen, in some unspecified time frame, I have no useful information.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old June 22nd 05, 04:39 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Roy Shroyer > wrote:

>Of course, accepting the above facts forces the reader to look at his own
>individual consumption which isn't always pleasant. Or, it forces them to
>label me as a kook and continue on as before.
>
>Bottom line: Oil is a finite resource.
>
>We Americans are using it up as fast as we possibly can with no regard for
>the consequences, or for the lives of subsequent generations who will
>undoubtedly be forced to deal with those consequences.

Naa, we could use it faster if we really put our minds to it.

Anyway, if it's finite, it WILL run out eventually. Us cutting down now
merely pushes things out slightly. Or, worse, it does no such thing
-- our reduction in consumption drives prices down and as a result
increases someone else's consumption. So we suffer, they benefit, and
future generations are unaffected.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old June 22nd 05, 05:38 PM
C. E. White

Cartrivision1 wrote:

> You know and I know that most people bought SUV's when they were in
> vogue because every other Suburban robot was buying one. Other
> vehicles like you described might not be as fuel efficent as let's say
> a Honda Civic, but those vehicles do not cause the same visual blight
> on the scenery that large SUV's and pickup trucks do which is one of my
> biggest gripes about the things.
>
> And on top of that, most if not all do not certainly "need" a vehicle
> which is bulkier/heavier than 2 "normal" sized sedans. Just because
> people have the freedom to do something does not make it acceptable.
> And yes, we ALL are suffering because of the extra fuel that these
> lumbering behemoths use. In fact right after my last reply to this
> thread I read a internet news article which blamed increased fuel use
> for the rising prices. So we all lose.

My SO sons has a BMW 740i. It gets worse gas mileage than a
Ford Explorer (and requires premium fuel too). It is wider
and longer than a Ford Explorer. But you apparently think
the 740i is OK, because it looks OK, and the Explorer is
evil because you don't like the way it looks. Explain how
the BMW is OK and the Explorer is not.

I personally am doing my best to decrease my gas mileage by
20% this year. I have several vehicles, so I try to drive
the most fuel efficient vehicle for the task. I am trying to
cut out unnecessary trips. I am trying to combine trips
where possible. I might not make my goal of reducing fuel
usage by 20%, but at least I am trying. It seems to me you
are just another person who wants the other guy, or the
government to do something about gas prices, while not
altering his behavior at all. You know, "it is those damn
SUV drivers fault" kind of person. Go look in the mirror
instead of trying to shift the blame.

And yes I own an SUV, (2 actually), and a pick-up, and a
Thunderbird (the little one). My Saturn Vue (4 cylinder VTi)
gets as good gas mileage as most any mini-van and more than
a few cars. My gas sucking Expedition is just the equivalent
of a 70's station wagon and is actually smaller (shorter /
narrower) than my Mothers 1972 Ford Station wagon and gets
similar mileage. It rarely moves unless I am towing a boat,
or hauling at least 2 people, or hauling farm stuff (tractor
parts, and things like that). However, I don't feel the
least bit guilty driving it, although I do hate filling it
up. The pick-up is used mostly off road, but on a long trip
it can get 20 mpg. I only drive the pick-up around 3000
miles a year now. Unless I am hauling something especially
nasty, or something bagged (seeds for example), I prefer to
use the Expedition, since it keeps things dry and safetly
locked inside.

I suspect the SUV "craze" is nearing an end. Better car
choice would help. Most of the Japanese cars are too
small/too low/too expensive/too unreliable. The only US
passenger car I like is the Ford 500 / Freestyle. At least
they are not so low I have to crawl into them. Of course,
you probably be complainign that they are blocking your
view....

Ed
Old June 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Paul" > wrote in message
th.net...
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:47:54 -0700, Ashton Crusher , said the following
> in rec.autos.driving...
>

> > Is your house bigger then 400 sq ft? Do you use more then $50 worth
> > of electricity a month? If so, shove you head up your ass as you are
> > ALSO wasting natural resources just as surely as someone with an SUV
> > that you happen to think they don't need.
> >

> So, you don't like it when people criticize you for your gargantuan suv,
> but you have no problem criticizing others. **** off, hypocrite.

That wasn't at all the point he was making. Perhaps you should re-read the
thread up to this point and give it some thought.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:21 PM
brink

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Roy Shroyer > wrote:
>>
>>It doesn't hurt to know that an economic meltdown is coming in this
>>country,
>>whether its due to oil prices or a collapsing real estate bubble or
>>government insolvency.
>>
>>There, you've been warned.

> Without more specifics, it doesn't help, either. If I know there's a
> "real estate bubble" in my area which is going to crash in about 5
> years time, I can sell my house in 4 years, rent for a while, and pick
> up some cheap real estate. If I know oil prices are going to go to
> 300 dollars a barrel by 2010, I can make decisions based on that. If
> the whole US government is going down, I can look into emigration
> (though if it takes the whole world with it, that might not help).
>
> But if all I know is that at least one of those things is going to
> happen, in some unspecified time frame, I have no useful information.

ding ding ding, we have a winner... *exactly* right.

brink

Old June 23rd 05, 06:46 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:49:05 -0400, Paul > wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:47:54 -0700, Ashton Crusher , said the following
>in rec.autos.driving...
>

>> Is your house bigger then 400 sq ft? Do you use more then $50 worth
>> of electricity a month? If so, shove you head up your ass as you are
>> ALSO wasting natural resources just as surely as someone with an SUV
>> that you happen to think they don't need.
>>

>So, you don't like it when people criticize you for your gargantuan suv,
>but you have no problem criticizing others. **** off, hypocrite.

Figures, you can't read and understand English. Try reading it again.