95 Accord AC problems - NEED ADVICE!

Old June 22nd 05, 03:39 AM
Casey Chester

Default 95 Accord AC problems - NEED ADVICE!

Hi all,

I have a 95 Accord EX that is blowing hot air from the AC. I asked the
mechanic to take a look at it when I had it in the shop getting a new master
cylinder. He said he found the evaparator core was rusted out and would not
hold freon at all - this would need to be completely replaced. The part from
Honda ran ~$500. Does this sound about right? Would this type of thing be
too much for a DIY'r? What is the best manual to help me though it? TIA

Old June 22nd 05, 06:59 AM
Randolph

Casey Chester wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 95 Accord EX that is blowing hot air from the AC. I asked the
> mechanic to take a look at it when I had it in the shop getting a new master
> cylinder. He said he found the evaparator core was rusted out and would not
> hold freon at all - this would need to be completely replaced. The part from
> Honda ran ~$500. Does this sound about right? Would this type of thing be
> too much for a DIY'r? What is the best manual to help me though it? TIA

If all the refrigerant (R134a, NOT freon) has leaked out, you don't have
to worry about the recovery part of the process. Installing a new
evaporator can be done by a home mechanic. You should also replace the
dryer (or receiver/dryer, depending on the type of system). You
absolutely need to evacuate the system with a good vacuum pump before
charging it with R134a. Unless you have / have access to a good vacuum
pump, you should leave this job to the pro's.

If you decide to do this yourself, get the factory service manual from
http://www.helminc.com. Pricey, but worth every penny.

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
Old June 22nd 05, 11:15 PM
duckbill

I would get a second opinion. I have worked on loads of auto AC units and
have NEVER seen an evaporator ever even begin to rust out. I have
however, seen loads of bad "O" rings at connection points. I suggest you
put some R-134A in the system and spray all connections with soapy water.
Remember you have gas and oil circulating in the system so don't forget to
add the correct Honda refrigeration oil to your system after the leak is
repaired but before you evacuate the system and add freon. When freon
leaks out, so can the oil. You also might be able to find the leak by
finding an oily connection on one of your AC lines. Good luck!

Old June 23rd 05, 04:07 AM
chip

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:15:07 -0400, "duckbill"
> wrote:

>I would get a second opinion. I have worked on loads of auto AC units and
>have NEVER seen an evaporator ever even begin to rust out. I have
>however, seen loads of bad "O" rings at connection points. I suggest you
>put some R-134A in the system and spray all connections with soapy water.
>Remember you have gas and oil circulating in the system so don't forget to
>add the correct Honda refrigeration oil to your system after the leak is
>repaired but before you evacuate the system and add freon. When freon
>leaks out, so can the oil. You also might be able to find the leak by
>finding an oily connection on one of your AC lines. Good luck!

they don't rust, they are aluminum! they do corrode though. and
this year accord is famous for it. It's not an o-ring.
replace the expansion valve and drier while you're at it.
Chip
Old June 24th 05, 12:41 AM
duckbill

First, I'm sure we were all using rust as a layman's term for corrosion.
Second, I would still get a second opinion and do a leak check myself.
Third, I would do a search on Evaporator Leaks in this very fine forum.
You will find the following quote: "the pressure switch and the evaporator
are known problems" I'm not an Accord expert but I have a 95 Civic EX with
187K and a 98 Civic EX and both have had AC problems that are now fixed.
The 98's problem turned out to be a bad O ring. Good luck.

Old June 24th 05, 03:27 AM
chip

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:41:22 -0400, "duckbill"
> wrote:

>First, I'm sure we were all using rust as a layman's term for corrosion.
>Second, I would still get a second opinion and do a leak check myself.
>Third, I would do a search on Evaporator Leaks in this very fine forum.
>You will find the following quote: "the pressure switch and the evaporator
>are known problems" I'm not an Accord expert but I have a 95 Civic EX with
>187K and a 98 Civic EX and both have had AC problems that are now fixed.
>The 98's problem turned out to be a bad O ring. Good luck.

the civics didn't have the evap problems, the accords are always
leaking. as for the pressure switch, use a sniffer on a brand new
car, unplug the pressure switch and test, it will leak, that's why
that connector has an o-ring in it, it's one of the only ones that
does.
i replace evaps on a weekly basis on this body style though.
Chip