Add cruise control to S-Series?

Old November 4th 04, 05:53 AM
Matt O'Toole

Default Add cruise control to S-Series?

I've been looking at used Saturns, especially the SW2. Many of them are great,
but don't have cruise control. Is it practical to add it? What's needed, and
how much do the parts cost?

Matt O.

Old November 4th 04, 01:47 PM
C. E. White

http://tinyurl.com/65x96

Old November 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Jeff McDonald

I did the audiovox JC whitney thing. Worked, but was a pain. Had to mount
the thing inside, activating gas pedal, as no adequate way under hood. Had
to bring vacuum inside to make it work; would buy non-vacuum model if I had
to do again.

Old November 5th 04, 05:02 AM
Matt O'Toole

Jeff McDonald wrote:

> I did the audiovox JC whitney thing. Worked, but was a pain. Had to
> mount the thing inside, activating gas pedal, as no adequate way
> under hood. Had to bring vacuum inside to make it work; would buy
> non-vacuum model if I had to do again.

I wouldn't touch a vacuum retrofit with a ten foot pole. Electrical/electronic
stuff is just so much more reliable, and vacuum leaks are a real PITA.

Actually, I was hoping to find a factory-parts solution. You can install
factory cruise control in a BMW pretty easily, so I'm wondering about Saturn
too.

Matt O.

Old November 5th 04, 01:46 PM
C. E. White

Jeff McDonald wrote:

> I did the audiovox JC whitney thing. Worked, but was a pain. Had to mount
> the thing inside, activating gas pedal, as no adequate way under hood. Had
> to bring vacuum inside to make it work; would buy non-vacuum model if I had
> to do again.

They have a non-vacuum model - http://tinyurl.com/5nnrc .

Ed
Old November 8th 04, 06:28 PM
micven55

I added the vacuum type to my car and it works ok. As soon as the road
starts heading up the car slows and won't kick down unless I stomp on the
gas myself. Once it has kicked down the car will climb back to the set
speed without my foot on the gas and once the road flattens out it will
shift back up again. I don't know if the electric ones have the same
issue, but it's much better than nothing.

Old November 8th 04, 07:34 PM
Oppie

It slows down most likely because the engine manifold vacuum is diminishing
under load. That is, assuming that all the linkages were properly tightened.
Many cars with vacuum operated SC used a combination of manifold vacuum and
ported vacuum (from the venturi of the throttle body). The ported vacuum is
zero at idle but increases with engine load.

Not the same if an electric one is used.

lkaboutautos.com...