Arco gas?

Old July 22nd 07, 05:45 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Arco gas?

I noticed that Arco is the cheapest priced gas around.
Is there anything wrong with it or it bad for Honda engines?

Old July 22nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:48:44 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>> Gas is gas, unless part of it is water :-(

>Gas is gas, until the vendor adds its additive packages.

In years past, Arco was always the highest octane at the pump as
tested by Union Oil Company technicians in Yorba Linda, Calif. My
uncle was one of them. Their premium was typically close to 100
octane. Now, they are just a low-cost seller like a lot of other
stations. The problem I have with Arco and other stations with three
pumps instead of two is that they are usually 85-octane, 88-octane,
and 92 octane (at least in the West.) The 85-octane pump will be a
little lower priced than the 87-octane at two-pump stations, but most
cars requiring regular need at least 87-octane unless you live at
higher altitude. So you buy the 88-octane and pay 10-cents more. If
you choose the 85-octane to save the 10-cents your car's computer will
just adjust the timing to avoid detonation, and you get less power and
less mileage. It's really a marketing ploy to get more money out of
the customers. I avoid 3--pump stations like the plague.

Dick

Old July 23rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Dick wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:48:44 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:

>>> Gas is gas, unless part of it is water :-(

>> Gas is gas, until the vendor adds its additive packages.

> In years past, Arco was always the highest octane at the pump as
> tested by Union Oil Company technicians in Yorba Linda, Calif. My
> uncle was one of them. Their premium was typically close to 100
> octane. Now, they are just a low-cost seller like a lot of other
> stations. The problem I have with Arco and other stations with three
> pumps instead of two is that they are usually 85-octane, 88-octane,
> and 92 octane (at least in the West.) The 85-octane pump will be a
> little lower priced than the 87-octane at two-pump stations, but most
> cars requiring regular need at least 87-octane unless you live at
> higher altitude. So you buy the 88-octane and pay 10-cents more. If
> you choose the 85-octane to save the 10-cents your car's computer will
> just adjust the timing to avoid detonation, and you get less power and
> less mileage. It's really a marketing ploy to get more money out of
> the customers. I avoid 3--pump stations like the plague.
>
> Dick

octane is not calorie content. it's calorie content that matters.
Old July 23rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
> Here's what you do: run several tanks of Arco, and figure out how many
> cents per mile it costs to run.
>
> Then run several tanks of Shell and figure out how many cents per mile
> it costs to run.
>
> It's all about the fuel cost per mile, and not at all about the price
> per gallon at the pump.

Unless you drive the same trip all the time, I think it'll take way more
than a few tankfuls to average out the noise in that measurement. I went
through ten tankfuls of regular in my car, and ten of premium, and got
slightly better gas mileage with regular (about 1%), which I don't believe
for an instant, especially since the car feels slightly better running on
premium.

It might be possible to make this measurement if your car has an MPG meter,
and you do the same test run on a particular piece of road at a particular
speed, on windless days.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 23rd 07, 02:58 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve Sobol

["Followup-To:" header set to ca.driving.]

> Gas is gas, until the vendor adds its additive packages.

Even then....