Enable DRL on 2005 US Spec CR-V?

Old October 22nd 04, 02:00 AM
RWM

Be that generalization as it may, my carrier (not AAA) does, and is now
doing so on our other car.

Old October 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
Abeness

Larry wrote:
> To be honest, other than AAA, I no of no other insurance carrier offering a
> discount for DRL's. I'd assume there may be a couple more out there, but
> the insurance industry in general does not offer that discount.

GEICO does, and they're a pretty big operation here in the US.
Old October 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
RWM

Timothy J. Lee wrote:

>In article >, RWM > wrote:
>

>>Timothy J. Lee wrote:

>>>Just make it a habit to turn on the low beam headlamps all the time if
>>>you want DRLs. Don't use the high beams, because they can annoy other
>>>drivers with excessive glare in low light conditions.
>>>

>>Sadly, good habits in this area don't yield insurance discounts.
>>

>If you are intent on having DRLs for the insurance discount, use the low
>beams, not the high beams. You really don't want to have the DRLs on in
>low light conditions (e.g. overcast) blinding someone with too much glare,
>causing him/her to crash into you.
>
>And don't use the turn signals as DRLs either, unless you want to increase
>the chance of giving false signals.

While I appreciate your views and concerns, NHTSA and FMVSS 108 allow
for numerous DRL configurations, including the use of turn signals (most
GM and many Chrysler), high beams at reduced intensity, low beams, and
in some cases, auxiliary lights.

I wish NHTSA paid as much attention to the blinding glare produced by
poorly designed headlight systems, beam cutoffs, aiming and
inappropriate use of fog lights and "kewl" overwattage
bulbs/inserts/capsules.
Old October 22nd 04, 05:38 AM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...
>Larry wrote:
>> To be honest, other than AAA, I no of no other insurance carrier offering a
>> discount for DRL's. I'd assume there may be a couple more out there, but
>> the insurance industry in general does not offer that discount.

>GEICO does, and they're a pretty big operation here in the US.

I should of guessed. Geico will never get my business. This stupidity
is another reason to add to the list.
--------------
Alex

Old October 22nd 04, 01:55 PM
Brian Smith

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message

> I should of guessed. Geico will never get my business. This stupidity
> is another reason to add to the list.

What is stupid about having a system that increases the visibility of
vehicles, and their direction of travel?

--
Brian

Ever stop to think... and forget to start again?

Old October 22nd 04, 03:25 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >, RWM > wrote:
>Timothy J. Lee wrote:
>>If you are intent on having DRLs for the insurance discount, use the low
>>beams, not the high beams. You really don't want to have the DRLs on in
>>low light conditions (e.g. overcast) blinding someone with too much glare,
>>causing him/her to crash into you.
>>
>>And don't use the turn signals as DRLs either, unless you want to increase
>>the chance of giving false signals.

>While I appreciate your views and concerns, NHTSA and FMVSS 108 allow
>for numerous DRL configurations, including the use of turn signals (most
>GM and many Chrysler), high beams at reduced intensity, low beams, and
>in some cases, auxiliary lights.

Simply because NHTSA / FMVSS 108 allows really bad DRL configurations
does not mean that you have to install a really bad DRL configuration
in your car. Since it allows better DRL configurations (low beams or
white auxiliary lamps), it would make sense to use one of these better
configurations if you want to install DRL on your vehicle.

Timothy J. Lee
Old October 22nd 04, 09:05 PM
Brian Smith

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message

> When poorly executed, as it often is, it blinds other drivers on the road.

Perhaps it is the general lack of concern executed by vehicle drivers, that
is the cause of the blinding glare. For example, the improperly loaded trunk
or pickup bed, that has the vehicle's lights aimed higher than legally
permitted.

--
Brian

Did you ever notice, that; the Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL?

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle BMW 34 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 07:35 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM