oil in the coolant liquid

Old September 20th 04, 03:48 PM
rouleau

Default oil in the coolant liquid

hello i have a saturn sedan le 1996
i find oil in the coolant liquid i wash the radiator a few time the coolant
still dirty ???

thank's

Old September 20th 04, 07:53 PM
Art

Blown headgasket. Needs to be fix immediately or engine will be ruined.

Old September 21st 04, 12:05 AM
Alex Marcuzzi

Maybe this site has the answer to your question.
http://www.complaints.com/directory/...uary/27/49.htm - 14k

Old September 21st 04, 04:16 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"Art" > typed until their fingers bled,
and came up with:

> Blown headgasket. Needs to be fix immediately or engine will be ruined.

is it a '96 Sl or SL1? if so, it may be the casting flaw that plauged that
engine. you'll need a new head.

Just replaced a friend's 2 weeks ago.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old September 21st 04, 11:49 PM
WTP07

I have heard some horror stories about Saturn's head gaskets...My brother's
04 ION has given him a pile of grief (not head gasket grief, no-start
greif)...

That being said, my 97 SW2 has 298 000 kms on it, with nothing more severe
than brakes, oil changes, tires, and one outer tie rod end....

Not all Saturns suck...but some certainly do...

just my $0.02 worth.

R.

Old September 22nd 04, 05:27 AM
Art

Lots of cars have headgasket issues..... even some Toyota models. Mostly
the 4 cylinder engines.

. ..

Old October 1st 04, 03:33 PM
Gerald Fay

Yea
I had a Mazda 626 in the late 80's that went thru 2 head gaskets before
20,000 miles. Mazada had to fix them. I heard it was for this reason,
and the poor design of their Wankle engine. That Ford had to bailed them
out

In article . net>,
says...

--
jerry
Old October 4th 04, 08:48 PM
rouleau

is it possible i find oil in the coolant liquid because the pcv is defect
????

"Gerald Fay" > a écrit dans le message
news: ...
> Yea
> I had a Mazda 626 in the late 80's that went thru 2 head gaskets before
> 20,000 miles. Mazada had to fix them. I heard it was for this reason,
> and the poor design of their Wankle engine. That Ford had to bailed them
> out
>
> In article . net>,

says...

Old October 6th 04, 12:56 AM
WTP07

Nope.

Not even remotely possible.

"rouleau" > wrote in message
.. .
> is it possible i find oil in the coolant liquid because the pcv is defect
> ????
>

> "Gerald Fay" > a écrit dans le message
> news: ...
> > Yea
> > I had a Mazda 626 in the late 80's that went thru 2 head gaskets before
> > 20,000 miles. Mazada had to fix them. I heard it was for this reason,
> > and the poor design of their Wankle engine. That Ford had to bailed them
> > out
> >
> > In article . net>,

says...

Old October 7th 04, 04:51 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"rouleau" > wrote in message
> hello i have a saturn sedan le 1996
> i find oil in the coolant liquid i wash the radiator a few time the

coolant
> still dirty ???
>
> thank's

Bad news:

See: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...rn_engine.html

You're well beyond the time that Saturn would repair it at their expense (6
years/100K miles). But if you're lucky <sic> it could just be a blown head
gasket, which would cost less than $1000 to replace.

Plan on around $2000 to repair it, but I don't think that it's worth it. You
could buy a 1996 vintage used Civic or Corolla for around $3000, or even
Camry or Accord for around $4000. Don't get a junkyard engine for the
Saturn, as it will likely have the same casting flaw.

Note that the coolant in the reservoir will always look a bit dirty due to
the Seal-Tabs that you have to put in after you change the coolant, but if
you flushed the radiator and the coolant is still oily, then it's more
serious.