what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ?

Old May 3rd 05, 12:34 PM
Shag

Default what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ?

3/4". ;-)

Old May 3rd 05, 02:28 PM
Remco

> what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley for Beetle?
>
> Yellow Godzilla

LOL - 3/4" - when I first read it, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Great minds must think alike, shag

I'm probably way off base here, but I'd imagine that with a smaller
pulley you put less strain on the engine (so technically you may get a
little more HP). Most likely the cooling and charging will suffer, so
that advantage may not be real.

I could be wrong, though, and am very interested in what the gurus have
to say about it.

Old May 3rd 05, 02:45 PM
Dennis Wik

Exactly, more HP but give up cooling capacity. For racing etc.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old May 5th 05, 07:44 PM
tedebare

Hi all- if you are talking about the gen/alt pulley, it will result in
better cooling (so I've been told) These are the prosche 356C pulleys. Ted
ups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 10:37 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"tedebare" > wrote in message
> Hi all- if you are talking about the gen/alt pulley, it will result in
> better cooling (so I've been told) These are the prosche 356C pulleys.

He's probably talking about the crank pulley. A smaller crank pulley will
make the fan run slower and be less of a drag. A larger one will make the
fan run faster and drag down the engine and with a high-reving engine, it
will stuff air, causing less cooling, and if the fan is a cheap, nonGerman
one a possible fan explosion.