Mobil 3309 transaxle fluid

Old March 25th 16, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

Default Mobil 3309 transaxle fluid

My transaxle takes this fluid.

I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
I would prefer to buy it locally.

JWS3309

Mobil 3309 Automatic Transaxle Fluid
Old March 25th 16, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Andy K wrote:
> My transaxle takes this fluid.
>
> I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
> I would prefer to buy it locally.
>
> JWS3309
>
> Mobil 3309 Automatic Transaxle Fluid

JWS3309 is a standard that the fluid must meet.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Fluid
Toyota T-IV
Mobil ATF 3309
NAPA - AIC ATF0T4
AC Delco T-IV
Ford - XT-8-QAW Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid
AISIN - ATF-0T4

All meet the standard (the Toyota, Mobil, Delco and Ford are all the
same Mobil 3309 just badged for those companies)

--
Steve W.
Old March 25th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 9:14:58 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> Andy K wrote:
> > My transaxle takes this fluid.
> >
> > I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
> > I would prefer to buy it locally.
> >
> > JWS3309
> >
> > Mobil 3309 Automatic Transaxle Fluid

> JWS3309 is a standard that the fluid must meet.
>

> Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Fluid
> Toyota T-IV
> Mobil ATF 3309
> NAPA - AIC ATF0T4
> AC Delco T-IV
> Ford - XT-8-QAW Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid
> AISIN - ATF-0T4
>

> All meet the standard (the Toyota, Mobil, Delco and Ford are all the
> same Mobil 3309 just badged for those companies)
>
> --
> Steve W.

Thanks.

The Castrol was $5.50 vs. $8 for the Mobil.

Andy
Old March 25th 16, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Andy K > wrote:
>My transaxle takes this fluid.
>
>I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
>I would prefer to buy it locally.

Then why are you asking on the internet to people who aren't local? Ask
your FLAPS if they'd be willing to order it for you. Anyone who can get
Mobil 1 products should be able to get it.

>JWS3309

There are a few other competing ATF products that meet the JWS 3309
spec, including Toyota Type IV. So you aren't limited completely to
the Mobil product (although the Mobil product is good).
--scott
Old March 25th 16, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 7:28:17 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Andy K > wrote:
> >My transaxle takes this fluid.
> >
> >I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
> >I would prefer to buy it locally.

> Then why are you asking on the internet to people who aren't local? Ask
> your FLAPS if they'd be willing to order it for you. Anyone who can get
> Mobil 1 products should be able to get it.
>
> >JWS3309

> There are a few other competing ATF products that meet the JWS 3309
> spec, including Toyota Type IV. So you aren't limited completely to
> the Mobil product (although the Mobil product is good).
> --scott

See Steve W's. post.

Before his post, I thought the Mobil ATF was my only option.

Andy
Old March 25th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:54:37 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote:
> On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 7:28:17 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > Andy K > wrote:
> > >My transaxle takes this fluid.
> > >
> > >I can not find a local dealer who has it, only Ebay.
> > >I would prefer to buy it locally.

> > Then why are you asking on the internet to people who aren't local? Ask
> > your FLAPS if they'd be willing to order it for you. Anyone who can get
> > Mobil 1 products should be able to get it.
> >
> > >JWS3309

> > There are a few other competing ATF products that meet the JWS 3309
> > spec, including Toyota Type IV. So you aren't limited completely to
> > the Mobil product (although the Mobil product is good).
> > --scott
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> See Steve W's. post.
>
> Before his post, I thought the Mobil ATF was my only option.
>
> Andy

I found out that my car has no transmission drain plug. :-(

My mechanic charges $125 to drop pan and install new gasket and filter.

I thought about using a pump to change it out, but it still leaves a old filter in place.

Since I will only be changing about 1/3 of the ATF out, I may use a pump after the filter change.

My manual does not say what the total capacity of ATF in the transmission.

Andy

Old March 25th 16, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 11:15:52 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote:
> On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:54:37 AM UTC-5, Andy K wrote:

> > > Then why are you asking on the internet to people who aren't local? Ask
> > > your FLAPS if they'd be willing to order it for you. Anyone who can get
> > > Mobil 1 products should be able to get it.

> > > There are a few other competing ATF products that meet the JWS 3309
> > > spec, including Toyota Type IV. So you aren't limited completely to
> > > the Mobil product (although the Mobil product is good).
> > > --scott
> > > --
> > > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> > See Steve W's. post.
> >
> > Before his post, I thought the Mobil ATF was my only option.
> >
> > Andy

> I found out that my car has no transmission drain plug. :-(
>
> My mechanic charges $125 to drop pan and install new gasket and filter.
>
> I thought about using a pump to change it out, but it still leaves a old filter in place.
>
> Since I will only be changing about 1/3 of the ATF out, I may use a pump after the filter change.
>
> My manual does not say what the total capacity of ATF in the transmission.
>
> Andy

I got a fluid transfer pump.

Got out 2.5 quarts.

Will repeat 2 more times a month apart.

Andy
Old March 25th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

> I got a fluid transfer pump.
>
> Got out 2.5 quarts.
>
> Will repeat 2 more times a month apart.
>
> Andy

A Volvo dealership I worked at did tranny flushes by disconnecting one
of the tranny's radiator cooler hoses. The hose was directed into a 10
gallon bucket. Then they start engine , and add new fluid as the old
fluid pumped out, until it ran "clear as new".

Volvo also uses the 3309 fluid as part number 1161540.

Old March 25th 16, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

Default Mobil 3309 transaxle fluid - more

On 3/25/16 4:38 PM, Retired wrote:

>> I got a fluid transfer pump.
>>
>> Got out 2.5 quarts.
>>
>> Will repeat 2 more times a month apart.
>>
>> Andy

> A Volvo dealership I worked at did tranny flushes by disconnecting
> one of the tranny's radiator cooler hoses. The hose was directed
> into a 10 gallon bucket. Then they start engine , and add new fluid
> as the old fluid pumped out, until it ran "clear as new".
>
> Volvo also uses the 3309 fluid as part number 1161540.

IIRC the tech had a length of hose and a clamp he used to extend the
hose/tube in the car into the bucket.
Old March 25th 16, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andy K

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 4:00:35 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
> On 3/25/16 4:38 PM, Retired wrote:
> >

> >> I got a fluid transfer pump.
> >>
> >> Got out 2.5 quarts.
> >>
> >> Will repeat 2 more times a month apart.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > A Volvo dealership I worked at did tranny flushes by disconnecting
> > one of the tranny's radiator cooler hoses. The hose was directed
> > into a 10 gallon bucket. Then they start engine , and add new fluid
> > as the old fluid pumped out, until it ran "clear as new".
> >
> > Volvo also uses the 3309 fluid as part number 1161540.
> >

> IIRC the tech had a length of hose and a clamp he used to extend the
> hose/tube in the car into the bucket.

thanks for the good ideas.

Andy