repairing the mower

Old April 29th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default repairing the mower

Hi,

I don't have car that I'm capable of working on at the moment so I
though I might pick on the mower.

It's an MTD type with a B&S engine. It is getting old and has been
very hard to start. The casing was rusting out, and there was a hole
in the tank, but after getting it started it would cut the lawn nicely.

So, I put some fibreglass matting in the wheel well, some poly resin on
the cracked seal in the fuel tank and degreesed the engine... also
fiddled with the carby mechanism to make shure the mechanisms looked
like they were doing things (no screw adjusting).

Now it won't start. well, it will start after pouring petrol down the
carby, but won't continue to run.

I've now pulled the carby float bowl off and it looked clogged up with
crap. I cleaned it and went to refit, but couldn't find the pin that
fits the float to the body. Now, I don't recall seeing a pin when I
removed the float bowl, but it looks as if there's supposed to be a pin
in the end of float? If I have lost this part, can I use something
like a paperclip to repair? Could the mower operate without this pin
fitted?

Cheers,

Old April 29th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"crmay" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I don't have car that I'm capable of working on at the moment so I
> though I might pick on the mower.
>
> It's an MTD type with a B&S engine. It is getting old and has been
> very hard to start. The casing was rusting out, and there was a hole
> in the tank, but after getting it started it would cut the lawn nicely.
>
> So, I put some fibreglass matting in the wheel well, some poly resin on
> the cracked seal in the fuel tank and degreesed the engine... also
> fiddled with the carby mechanism to make shure the mechanisms looked
> like they were doing things (no screw adjusting).
>
> Now it won't start. well, it will start after pouring petrol down the
> carby, but won't continue to run.
>
> I've now pulled the carby float bowl off and it looked clogged up with
> crap. I cleaned it and went to refit, but couldn't find the pin that
> fits the float to the body. Now, I don't recall seeing a pin when I
> removed the float bowl, but it looks as if there's supposed to be a pin
> in the end of float? If I have lost this part, can I use something
> like a paperclip to repair? Could the mower operate without this pin
> fitted?
>
> Cheers,

Yeah, you lost the pin. If you can find a substitute that fits without too
much loosness, use it. It has to have one.
Keep in mind that most repairs involve some expenses. A new pin might cost a
dollar. While you are at it, get a new carb gasket also.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old April 29th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

crmay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have car that I'm capable of working on at the moment so I
> though I might pick on the mower.
>
> It's an MTD type with a B&S engine. It is getting old and has been
> very hard to start. The casing was rusting out, and there was a hole
> in the tank, but after getting it started it would cut the lawn nicely.
>
> So, I put some fibreglass matting in the wheel well, some poly resin on
> the cracked seal in the fuel tank and degreesed the engine... also
> fiddled with the carby mechanism to make shure the mechanisms looked
> like they were doing things (no screw adjusting).
>
> Now it won't start. well, it will start after pouring petrol down the
> carby, but won't continue to run.
>
> I've now pulled the carby float bowl off and it looked clogged up with
> crap. I cleaned it and went to refit, but couldn't find the pin that
> fits the float to the body. Now, I don't recall seeing a pin when I
> removed the float bowl, but it looks as if there's supposed to be a pin
> in the end of float? If I have lost this part, can I use something
> like a paperclip to repair? Could the mower operate without this pin
> fitted?
>
> Cheers,

You just had to go screw around with the carburetor didn't you. If it
was full of crap, then you really did need to go there. Now you have
the added mechanical problem of the lost part. Make a pin or buy one
and fix that. However, I suspect the reason that motor won't run is
that the fuel passage out of the float bowl is plugged. The passage is
very small and might be mistaken for a piece of dirt the size of a
printed dot. Clean that with a wire or a pin and blow some air or carb
cleaner through it.

PS. I guess your other fixes are OK, but I would have favored sheet
metal and POP rivets for the body repair. It would stand up better to
the vibration and fuel. You can always do that if needed later.

Old April 29th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

crmay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have car that I'm capable of working on at the moment so I
> though I might pick on the mower.
>
> It's an MTD type with a B&S engine. It is getting old and has been
> very hard to start. The casing was rusting out, and there was a hole
> in the tank, but after getting it started it would cut the lawn nicely.
>
> So, I put some fibreglass matting in the wheel well, some poly resin on
> the cracked seal in the fuel tank and degreesed the engine... also
> fiddled with the carby mechanism to make shure the mechanisms looked
> like they were doing things (no screw adjusting).
>
> Now it won't start. well, it will start after pouring petrol down the
> carby, but won't continue to run.
>
> I've now pulled the carby float bowl off and it looked clogged up with
> crap. I cleaned it and went to refit, but couldn't find the pin that
> fits the float to the body. Now, I don't recall seeing a pin when I
> removed the float bowl, but it looks as if there's supposed to be a pin
> in the end of float? If I have lost this part, can I use something
> like a paperclip to repair? Could the mower operate without this pin
> fitted?
>
> Cheers,

If you have an abrasive cutoff tool, a small drill bit shank makes a
perfect replacement for the carb float pivot pins. But don't try to cut
with a hacksaw, you will just frustrate yourself. Or if you have a
small engine supply place nearby they probably have the right part (one
thing I miss about Detroit, you could actually find parts for stuff...
actually the small engine place was closer than the nearest decent FLAPS)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 30th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks Chaps!

As it turns out, the pin had just slid off to one side and lodged up
against the motor. So, I've now refitted the fuel bowl, a new spark
plug and sprayed the carby with cleaner. Still won't run!! It will
start first pull when I spray the cleaner in the carby, but won't
continue to run.

I really don't want to pull the carby apart... any other suggestions?

Old April 30th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

you'll need the pin, it is a l m parts house item, a paper clip will do,
a little small.

you need to clean the fuel system, maybe a can of auto stuff will help.

clean the air intake filters or replace, and install a new condenser and
points. (kit)

the air adjusting screw on the carb, screw it in easily, bottom-out, and
back-out 1-1/2 turns. (fine tune if necessary)

and, you'll be up and running.

mho
vƒe

Old April 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Apr 2006 17:31:39 -0700, "crmay" > wrote:

>Thanks Chaps!
>
>As it turns out, the pin had just slid off to one side and lodged up
>against the motor. So, I've now refitted the fuel bowl, a new spark
>plug and sprayed the carby with cleaner. Still won't run!! It will
>start first pull when I spray the cleaner in the carby, but won't
>continue to run.
>
>I really don't want to pull the carby apart... any other suggestions?

get it over with and pull the carb. Your problem is just a clogged
venturi fuel nozzle from gummy ( old ) fuel, and check the air filter
for cleanliness. Use a sliver of wood or a toothpick to clean the
fuel jet in the venturi. This takes all of 10 minutes.

Lg

Old April 30th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"crmay" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks Chaps!
>
> As it turns out, the pin had just slid off to one side and lodged up
> against the motor. So, I've now refitted the fuel bowl, a new spark
> plug and sprayed the carby with cleaner. Still won't run!! It will
> start first pull when I spray the cleaner in the carby, but won't
> continue to run.
>
> I really don't want to pull the carby apart... any other suggestions?

If it runs on carb spray only, then it is obviously not getting enough gas
through the carb. This engine may have a crank case pulse operated fuel
pump (usually a small rectangular device that the fuel line from the tank
goes to before going to the carb). If it does, then it may be clogged or
need repair. You may even have a clogged fuel line or fuel tank. Does the
carb fuel bowl fill up with gas? If it does, then that leaves only the carb
as the culprit. The only remedy is to remove and clean it thouroughly. New
seals and gaskets will be required. A new needle vave and seat is also
usually required. If the carb is corroded bad enough it might have to be
replaced.

Old April 30th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Joy!

I didn't initially understand Al's suggestion about cleaning the
passage from the float bowl to the carby until I did a bit more reading
on it.... anyway, it worked. I shoved a piece of thin copper wire up
from the needle? to the carb air inlet and hey presto... the engine is
purring like a kitten, though theres petrol leaking from the fuel bowl,
(getting the gasket to sit nicely is difficult) and the wheels rattle
like buggery, but I think it has a couple more years left in it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old April 30th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:06:36 -0500, "Kevin" > wrote:

>"crmay" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Thanks Chaps!
>>
>> As it turns out, the pin had just slid off to one side and lodged up
>> against the motor. So, I've now refitted the fuel bowl, a new spark
>> plug and sprayed the carby with cleaner. Still won't run!! It will
>> start first pull when I spray the cleaner in the carby, but won't
>> continue to run.
>>
>> I really don't want to pull the carby apart... any other suggestions?

>If it runs on carb spray only, then it is obviously not getting enough gas
>through the carb. This engine may have a crank case pulse operated fuel
>pump (usually a small rectangular device that the fuel line from the tank
>goes to before going to the carb). If it does, then it may be clogged or
>need repair. You may even have a clogged fuel line or fuel tank. Does the
>carb fuel bowl fill up with gas? If it does, then that leaves only the carb
>as the culprit. The only remedy is to remove and clean it thouroughly.

> New
>seals and gaskets will be required.

This part is REALLY IMPORTANT! You have to have an absolutely
airtight seal between the carb mounting flange and the engine. Use
some kind of gasket and coat it with Permatex or something before
mounting. Trust me on this. ANY air leak here, and you won't get the
proper venturi effect to suck the fuel from the float bowl.

Lg