Advice needed regarding 540 E39

Old December 26th 04, 10:59 PM
RAFA KRAWCZYK

Default Advice needed regarding 540 E39

Hi,
I already had a 528 BMW a couple of years back but in 2002 I managed to
destroy it. Now I want to get a 540. I'm debating between the 99, 2000 and
2001 models (UP to around 15000 Euro). Since most people here have quite
in-depth knowledge about these cars, I was wondering if anyone could let me
know which one should I choose (price to future expenses ration, what
modifications were made over these years and what are the parts that are
most likely to fail). I had the 1997 528 which was fantastic and except for
changing oil, there was nothing that I needed to do. I really liked the
sports pack that I had in my old car (i.e. stiffer suspension, sports seats,
M series stearing wheel etc) so that's what I'd like to have, BUT now I'll
be using this car in Poland where the roads are horrible, so would it be
better to get the sports suspension (m-spotsfawek or however it's written)
or the normal one? What would you suggest considering the fact that the 2000
model is much cheaper than the 2001 (from what I've seen in the ads in
Germany). Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Raphael
Ps. Does anyone know any good online sites with BMW adds in germany? I'm
using www.mobile.de and it seems good, but would like to have a look in
other places.

PS. Watch the spam trap...

Old December 27th 04, 01:43 PM
GRL

I think you are making a mistake looking for the V8 vs. the large I6. The
fuel consumption will eat you alive.

If you stay on well paved roads most of the time, get the sport suspension.
If not, get the regular one. I have not tried the 5-Series with and without
sport suspension, but I have tried the 3-Series (and own a ZHP 330i), and
the difference is not all that great. It's not like if you were going to get
the teeth-rattling M3 suspension, in either case.

But get a six, whatever you do.

- GRL

Old December 27th 04, 05:54 PM
John Carrier

I'll second the advice toward the I6. Certainly the V8 has the power
(approx 1 sec quicker to 100KPH), but it's a function of how often you
want/need the extra performance versus the price you pay (higher initial
cost, higher fuel bills, higher maintenance costs, and somewhat reduced
reliability). You might find a 2001 530 for a similar price to the 2000
540. Whatever you choose, I'd put a premium on well-documented maintenance
(above and beyond recommended intervals for oil changes) and low miles.

Re sport suspension. If poor roads are a significant factor, go with
standard suspension. The lower profile tires and somewhat stiffer
suspension of the sport will make for an unpleasant ride. Handling won't
quite be there, but it's still the best of class. I've taken my 530 SP over
some abominable roads (fortunately not a frequent occurrence) and didn't
like the experience.

R / John