dealer replaced radio, still doesn't work

Old November 18th 04, 03:56 PM
caburnham

Default dealer replaced radio, still doesn't work

Any advice would be appreciated:
I have a 1998 528i. The radio started going dead, even the time
didn't show in the display area. Off/on switch did nothing.
Periodically the time will reappear, then the radio works for
a while. First dealer trip - radio is bad, ordered and replaced
($$$) and the same thing happened immediately. Second dealer trip
- new radio is defective, ordered another. Third dealer trip to
install second new radio, say need help from BMW, BMW knows about it,
pickup my car until they get information.
Any ideas? Maybe there's a short somewhere and it never was a
radio problem? I have kept the car serviced/inspections done.
Do you think I will ever hear back from the dealer? Any experience
when the dealer says waiting on help from BMW?
Old November 19th 04, 12:58 AM
Randolph

caburnham wrote:

> Any advice would be appreciated:
> Any ideas? Maybe there's a short somewhere and it never was a
> radio problem? I have kept the car serviced/inspections done.

A short you probably don't have. You probably have an intermittent
connection in either the power or the ground wire to the radio.
Old November 19th 04, 04:16 PM
caburnham

Many thanks for the replies.

- when new radio was installed the horn quit working
and the CD did not work even during times the radio did.
- third trip they replaced the ignition switch which
was the horn problem. Dealer has talked to me
and said the new radio is not compatible with a 1998
528i, they are waiting for BMW to determine how to make
it work. The original model is no longer available. However,
the radio has worked so far after the ignition switch replaced
(but not the CD).
- My intuition is the ignition switch was the original problem
as Frank suggested.

I agree this is a terrific car. Due to commute I have 125k miles
and it still responds like new. Every time I'm on a winding road
I'm thrilled with the feel. It's worth some angst to keep, to
me it's better and better looking than the new ones.
Old November 20th 04, 06:08 PM
caburnham

Again thanks for the help. I will wait for a response for a
few more days and then follow your advice. I will also post
the eventual outcome - in my searches I hadn't found a similar
problem.

Main Dealer or Independent Service Richard Goulding Audi 10 November 15th 04 12:25 PM
Is dealer pulling a fast one? mjc BMW 11 October 4th 04 09:57 AM
Bad Relay? Wipers, Radio, Computer, Locks Kaput! Sandjicpl BMW 0 September 28th 04 02:32 PM
Recommend an alfa dealer Steve A Alfa Romeo 2 July 21st 04 12:59 PM
NAV PLUS RADIO bad reception SAPO Audi 4 July 20th 04 10:39 PM