what's the purpose of windshield molding ?

Old February 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
Jim

Default what's the purpose of windshield molding ?

Hi,

Some car has the so called 'windshield molding'. I wonder what's the main
function of that thing ? It just looks like a seal around your
windsheild...

Old February 22nd 04, 05:34 PM
Dick C

Jim wrote in rec.autos.misc

> Hi,
>
> Some car has the so called 'windshield molding'. I wonder what's the
> main function of that thing ? It just looks like a seal around your
> windsheild...

Helps keep the rain out, and the windshield in, in addition to the
sealant used around the windshield. I have heard that the windshield
helps keep the roof up in case of a rollover, and the molding helps
keep it in.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Old February 27th 04, 12:42 AM
eddy eagle

Dick C > wrote in message . 136>...
> Jim wrote in rec.autos.misc
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some car has the so called 'windshield molding'. I wonder what's the
> > main function of that thing ? It just looks like a seal around your
> > windsheild...

> Helps keep the rain out, and the windshield in, in addition to the
> sealant used around the windshield. I have heard that the windshield
> helps keep the roof up in case of a rollover, and the molding helps
> keep it in.

The windshield is a structural part of the vehicle and performs a
function in rollover strength. The molding doesn't contribute much to
this aspect. The molding is not only aesthetic though. The edge of the
glass must be protected from any nicks whatsoever or the glass will
crack. It takes almost nothing on that edge to produce a crack either
at the time of the incident or weeks later.

92 Dynasty Windshield Wipers Bret Chrysler 26 January 8th 05 04:34 AM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 01:50 PM
Help! Front windshield wipers stopped working! GA Jeep 12 December 12th 04 04:35 PM
'94 SL2 Windshield... Scott MacIntyre Saturn 0 November 29th 04 08:29 PM
2003 Windshield Replacement...HELP! 2003HondaEXL Honda 6 October 17th 04 06:30 PM