What could cause a roundel to fade overnight?

Old November 11th 04, 02:32 AM
David Haqeman

Default What could cause a roundel to fade overnight?

I have a 2000 M5 with 38,000 miles that was showroom new 2 months ago.

I must confess I take it through a "brushless" car wash.

As a result the jet-black finish is not the same anymore. (2 months)
This place uses soft pad straps in front and rotary brushes made of
some kind of cloth in the middle.

They use a spray of something on the wheels to looses up the brake
dust.

At times over the years, I've had to stop them from spraying that crap
on a tree-sapped or bird dropped front hood. COuld this be the
culprit?

That front roundel was perfect....the mileage should make that clear.

It's completely embossed chrome now.

Other than that the only other thing put on the finish is their
hand-spray n' wipe wax...a mini detailing of sorts.

I've replaced these on my 97 5 series and 99M3..but the wear was a
gradual chipping. Nothing this fast.

Any other possibilities? Rapid overnight temperature drop?

David H.
Old November 11th 04, 02:37 AM
tech27

"David Haqeman" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a 2000 M5 with 38,000 miles that was showroom new 2 months ago.
>
> I must confess I take it through a "brushless" car wash.

SHAME ON YOU! Touchless (spray only - no brushes or pads), is okay in a
pinch (or winter if you are bad enough to drive the Beast in snow).

> As a result the jet-black finish is not the same anymore. (2 months)
> This place uses soft pad straps in front and rotary brushes made of
> some kind of cloth in the middle.

Don't worry about the 2 months. The damage was done in probably the first 2
or 3 sandings.

> They use a spray of something on the wheels to looses up the brake
> dust.

That can mess up your M5 OEM rims if they are hot when you go into the wash.

> At times over the years, I've had to stop them from spraying that crap
> on a tree-sapped or bird dropped front hood. COuld this be the
> culprit?

Not likely.

> That front roundel was perfect....the mileage should make that clear.
>
> It's completely embossed chrome now.

Very strange. Just pop a new one on. They are not that expensive.

> Other than that the only other thing put on the finish is their
> hand-spray n' wipe wax...a mini detailing of sorts.
>
> I've replaced these on my 97 5 series and 99M3..but the wear was a
> gradual chipping. Nothing this fast.
>
> Any other possibilities? Rapid overnight temperature drop?

Sounds more like a nasty chemical, or maybe it was just defective. I'd just
consider myself lucky that the paint is not really messed up.

Live and learn.

Sorry to hear about it.

Old November 11th 04, 02:43 AM
Dan Drake

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:37:16 -0500, "tech27"
> wrote:

>"David Haqeman" > wrote in message
. com...
>>I have a 2000 M5 with 38,000 miles that was showroom new 2 months ago.
>>
>> I must confess I take it through a "brushless" car wash.

>SHAME ON YOU! Touchless (spray only - no brushes or pads), is okay in a
>pinch (or winter if you are bad enough to drive the Beast in snow).

Bull.

It's just a car. Mine goes through a *brush* carwash once every two
weeks or so.
--
Dan Drake
Old November 11th 04, 03:33 AM
tech27

"Dan Drake" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:37:16 -0500, "tech27"
> > wrote:
>
>>"David Haqeman" > wrote in message
.com...
>>>I have a 2000 M5 with 38,000 miles that was showroom new 2 months ago.
>>>
>>> I must confess I take it through a "brushless" car wash.

>>SHAME ON YOU! Touchless (spray only - no brushes or pads), is okay in a
>>pinch (or winter if you are bad enough to drive the Beast in snow).

> Bull.
>
> It's just a car. Mine goes through a *brush* carwash once every two
> weeks or so.
> --
> Dan Drake

I agree. My M5 is just a car too. I don't spend hours detailing, washing,
waxing, polishing, or kissing it, etc. But, if I have a choice of going
through a touchless carwash instead of any of those that always scratch the
paint, well, it's not a choice - I just won't use the brush/pad washes and
let my car stay dirty.

If you have a grey car you're lucky, my old 325 was grey and the paint
didn't show swirl marks, etc. But the jet black paint on my M5 starts to
look bad if you just THINK about washing it roughly. You'd think with all
the advances in paint technology they could come up with something that
holds up better.

Old November 11th 04, 05:54 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree w/ tech27, if you've never lived with tempermental / beautiful black
paint, you cannot imagine! That guys paint may be impossible to polish out
at this point!

Chris

. verio.net...

Old November 11th 04, 11:07 AM
Dan Drake

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:54:13 -0600, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> wrote:

>I agree w/ tech27, if you've never lived with tempermental / beautiful black
>paint, you cannot imagine! That guys paint may be impossible to polish out
>at this point!

Black is a bitch, always has been, probably always will be. I've
sworn more than once that I'll never buy another black car. But I put
black cars through car washes, too. You'll usually get swirl marks on
a black car after a year or two no matter what, unless the car is just
a piece of garage jewelry, that is. My answer to the problem is to
take it to a detailer for a heavy duty buffing and waxing when I'm
ready to sell it.
--
Dan Drake
Old November 11th 04, 11:30 AM
Frank Kemper

"tech27" > haute in die Tasten:

> You'd think with all
> the advances in paint technology they could come up with something that
> holds up better.

Well, Mercedes did (they call it nano-coating). But either they did not offer a license
to BMW on that or BMW was not interested;-)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old November 11th 04, 11:47 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article o.net>,
tech27 > wrote:
> You'd think with all the advances in paint technology they could come
> up with something that holds up better.

They did years ago. But unfortunately not water based. Gave a better
gloss, too.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 11th 04, 03:25 PM
Don

David Haqeman wrote:
> That front roundel was perfect....the mileage should make that clear.
>
> It's completely embossed chrome now.
> David H.

The roundel is colored plastic over a chrome base (which is the silver
that shows through between the colored parts.)

Your plastic fell off. It happens. All that's left is the chrome base.
If you REALLY look at it - you'll see where it's recessed and has raised
lines that match where the colors were and weren't.

BTDT on all sorts of BMW Roundels. I rather like the plain chrome look
myself.

A new one at your friendly dealers is less than $20 (last time I bought
one it was $7USD.) - Takes 20 seconds to replace (get your fingernails
under the edge of the old one and pull straight out - it mounts in
rubber grommets - reassembly is the reverse. Push the new one into the
grommets.) If you're totally fuddlefingers you may be able to convince
the parts guy to walk outside and replace it for you.
Old November 11th 04, 04:32 PM
tech27

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> "tech27" > haute in die Tasten:
>
>> You'd think with all
>> the advances in paint technology they could come up with something that
>> holds up better.
>>

> Well, Mercedes did (they call it nano-coating). But either they did not
> offer a license
> to BMW on that or BMW was not interested;-)

More like the same idea where McDonald's wouldn't sell any trade secrets to
Burger King.