Spilled milk in boot - what a pong!

Old January 11th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Spilled milk in boot - what a pong!

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from the
carpet in my E39's boot?

I thought I'd cleaned it up at the time but now it really honks!

I've tried Febreze - absolutely useless as I expected...

I've tried a can of Simoniz carpet shampoo which seemed to work but
after a couple more days the smell came back, this time with a
slightly chemical edge to it!

Suggestions I have had a

Blast the thing with a pressure washer, then soak it with Zoflora,
leave it a while then blast it again

Baking powder

White wine vinegar

Will any of these actually work? Any other suggestions?

Am I just better off getting a new carpet (from BMW or a breakers)?

TIA
--

Shevek

I'm selling a Sony Ericsson T630 and Bluetooth headset on eBay!
http://snipurl.com/al43 (Not an affiliate link!)

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/report...?showuser=2011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493

Get Firefox!
Old January 11th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I had a similar problem when two cartons of prawn curry fell into the
passenger footwell of an Triumph 2500TC I had over twenty-five years ago -
had to sell it in the winter.

Take the carpet out.

Make sure that you have cleaned out any crevices underneath.

White wine vinegar sounds promising.

Otherwise lots of cold water and then leave it in the sun for a while until
the milk has completely broken down.

Old January 11th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Shevek > haute in die Tasten:

> Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from
> the carpet in my E39's boot?

Milk? Uh-oh! The most efficient smell removing treatment I have heard
of is a flooding with ozone gas. There are companies which do these
jobs for money, you could ask a second hand car dealer for a contact.
The cheapest yet recommendable solution I have ever heard of is
taking a pound of freshly milled coffee powder, pour it into a
shallow soup dish and place the dish in the trunk for two days. I
doubt that this solution will entirely remove the smell of sour milk.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old January 11th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Shevek" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from the
> carpet in my E39's boot?
>
> I thought I'd cleaned it up at the time but now it really honks!
>
> I've tried Febreze - absolutely useless as I expected...
>
> I've tried a can of Simoniz carpet shampoo which seemed to work but
> after a couple more days the smell came back, this time with a
> slightly chemical edge to it!
>
> Suggestions I have had a
>
> Blast the thing with a pressure washer, then soak it with Zoflora,
> leave it a while then blast it again
>
> Baking powder
>
> White wine vinegar
>
> Will any of these actually work? Any other suggestions?
>
> Am I just better off getting a new carpet (from BMW or a breakers)?

Get yourself some antibiotic capsules (not tablets). About 20 or so will do.
After washing the carpet in plain water, open the capsules while the carpet
is still damp, and sprinkle the powder onto the stain.
The smell is caused by the bacteria, not the milk. The antibiotics will kill
all of the bacteria stone dead. End of problem.
I have successfully used this method both on the carpets and inside the air
vents of a 735. (I had to brake pretty suddenly and fogot the litre of
chocolate milk sitting on the console didn't have a lid on it!!)

JB

Old January 11th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> Shevek > haute in die Tasten:
>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from
>> the carpet in my E39's boot?
>>

> Milk? Uh-oh! The most efficient smell removing treatment I have heard
> of is a flooding with ozone gas. There are companies which do these
> jobs for money, you could ask a second hand car dealer for a contact.
> The cheapest yet recommendable solution I have ever heard of is
> taking a pound of freshly milled coffee powder, pour it into a
> shallow soup dish and place the dish in the trunk for two days. I
> doubt that this solution will entirely remove the smell of sour milk.

Don't for the love of God use Ozone! It will *eat* all of the rubber-based
components it touches, and many plastics too. Some rubbers go very 'tacky',
while some go brittle. It just ain't worth the risk. Pretty toxic too.

JB

Old January 11th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:19:30 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>I had a similar problem when two cartons of prawn curry fell into the
>passenger footwell of an Triumph 2500TC I had over twenty-five years ago -
>had to sell it in the winter.
>
>Take the carpet out.
>
>Make sure that you have cleaned out any crevices underneath.
>
>White wine vinegar sounds promising.
>
>Otherwise lots of cold water and then leave it in the sun for a while until
>the milk has completely broken down.

Heh, sun, in the UK, in January, heh.

;-)

.. .

Old January 11th 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:26:33 -0000, "JB" > wrote:

>"Shevek" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from the
>> carpet in my E39's boot?
>>
>> I thought I'd cleaned it up at the time but now it really honks!
>>
>> I've tried Febreze - absolutely useless as I expected...
>>
>> I've tried a can of Simoniz carpet shampoo which seemed to work but
>> after a couple more days the smell came back, this time with a
>> slightly chemical edge to it!
>>
>> Suggestions I have had a
>>
>> Blast the thing with a pressure washer, then soak it with Zoflora,
>> leave it a while then blast it again
>>
>> Baking powder
>>
>> White wine vinegar
>>
>> Will any of these actually work? Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Am I just better off getting a new carpet (from BMW or a breakers)?
>>

>Get yourself some antibiotic capsules (not tablets). About 20 or so will do.
>After washing the carpet in plain water, open the capsules while the carpet
>is still damp, and sprinkle the powder onto the stain.
>The smell is caused by the bacteria, not the milk. The antibiotics will kill
>all of the bacteria stone dead. End of problem.
>I have successfully used this method both on the carpets and inside the air
>vents of a 735. (I had to brake pretty suddenly and fogot the litre of
>chocolate milk sitting on the console didn't have a lid on it!!)
>
>JB

Sounds good, thanks...
--

Shevek

Old January 12th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:07:40 +0000, Shevek > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions how to remove a milk stain from the
>carpet in my E39's boot?
>
>I thought I'd cleaned it up at the time but now it really honks!

Ultimately, the best fix may be to replace all the carpets and
padding. I had a bottle of wine break in the boot, and that's what I
ended up doing. Until I did that, I couldn't get rid of a smell like
a wino had been kipping and throwing up in there.
--
Dan.
Old January 12th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Shevek" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:19:30 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:

>>Otherwise lots of cold water and then leave it in the sun for a while
>>until
>>the milk has completely broken down.

> Heh, sun, in the UK, in January, heh.
>
> ;-)

You never said you were in the UK!

Old January 12th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:16:15 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>"Shevek" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:19:30 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"
>> > wrote:

>>>Otherwise lots of cold water and then leave it in the sun for a while
>>>until
>>>the milk has completely broken down.

>> Heh, sun, in the UK, in January, heh.
>>
>> ;-)

>You never said you were in the UK!

Ah, yeah, er, missed that bit!

I really don't want to wait for July with that smell.. Maybe I'll put
it under a sunbed ;-)
--

Shevek