1980 ford hard no start

Old August 13th 05, 08:53 AM
Martik

Default 1980 ford hard no start

Cannot start unless I pour 1-2 oz of gas down the carb, then it idles
and drives ok but will not restart after turning off. Choke fully opens from
almost closed
as engine is warmed up. This problem just started with no prior symptoms.
I've
tried starting with pedal floored, part way and not depressed at all. Gas
squirts out both jets in the carb when I depress the accelerator. This is
not a VV carb. Motorcraft 2150 I think.

Attached Images
File Type: gif dot_clear.gif (43 Bytes, 65 views)
Old August 14th 05, 11:54 AM
Al Bundy

Martik wrote:
> Cannot start unless I pour 1-2 oz of gas down the carb, then it idles
> and drives ok but will not restart after turning off. Choke fully opens from
> almost closed
> as engine is warmed up. This problem just started with no prior symptoms.
> I've
> tried starting with pedal floored, part way and not depressed at all. Gas
> squirts out both jets in the carb when I depress the accelerator. This is
> not a VV carb. Motorcraft 2150 I think.

One guess is that you have a leaky fuel line under the car and fuel
drains back every time you shut down. It could be in an area where the
line runs up next to the frame and all the rust absorbs the gas fast.
Still, I would expect to smell and see something evident. The gas is
going somewhere because apparently it's not staying in the fuel bowl.
It's not running into the engine so it must be going the other
direction.

Old August 16th 05, 09:27 PM
Mike Romain

I would suspect a leak in the gas line on the suction side of the pump.
They will not drip much but let air in when it sits essentially vapor
locking it.

I would look where the rubber hoses join the steel line at the frame and
where the clips hold it to the frame for a small gas stain.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's