2008 Kia Optima LX Steering wheel shake

Old March 26th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 2008 Kia Optima LX Steering wheel shake

Steering wheel shimmys from side to side increasing violently at speeds over 60mph. 42,000 miles to date.

Steps already taken:

All Tires balanced - Steering wheel still vibrates.

Balance rechecked - still vibrates.

Found and replaced wobbly rim(whole rim sways), reinstall and balance tire - vibration in steering wheel is *reduced* but still occurs at over 60mph.

What are possible next steps?

Thanks!
Old March 26th 14, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Kevin: How does one diagnose a slipped belt in a tire?
Old March 27th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:06:44 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff
> wrote:

wrote in
:

>> Steering wheel shimmys from side to side increasing violently at
>> speeds over 60mph. 42,000 miles to date.
>>
>> Steps already taken:
>>
>> All Tires balanced - Steering wheel still vibrates.
>>
>> Balance rechecked - still vibrates.
>>
>> Found and replaced wobbly rim(whole rim sways), reinstall and balance
>> tire - vibration in steering wheel is *reduced* but still occurs at
>> over 60mph.
>>

>> What are possible next steps?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>I would find the tire that has a slipped belt and replace it or them. KB

That should be noticeable at very low speeds.
Old March 27th 14, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Tegger:

They ran all 4 rims. Only one wobbled. The rim was replaced. Steering wheel jiggle is reduced but still present at higher speeds.
Old March 27th 14, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Bill Vanek > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:06:44 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff
> > wrote:

>>I would find the tire that has a slipped belt and replace it or them. KB

> That should be noticeable at very low speeds.

Bad mounting will mimic a slipped belt. I think the OP is the victim of
inept mounting.

--
Tegger

Car/steering shake [email protected] Honda 1 August 18th 12 07:52 PM
2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mphsince Paul in Houston TX Technology 2 November 7th 11 01:59 AM
2008 Kia Optima - Steering Wheel Vibration at speeds over 50mph since ChrisCoaster Technology 33 November 2nd 11 04:27 PM
Wheel Shake JDReich BMW 9 December 27th 07 02:45 AM
steering shake italian_72 VW water cooled 2 May 27th 05 03:28 PM