The EV is on fi Don't cut that orange wire

Old January 25th 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default The EV is on fi Don't cut that orange wire

http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html

bob
Old January 25th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

bob urz > wrote in :

> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>
> bob

Nice to know, but not really "news".

First Responders have been educated on such things since 2001, the first
year the Toyota Prius (274V battery) was on the market. The Volt isn't much
different than the Prius in that manner.

Can't you find something actually /new/ to post?

--
Tegger
Old January 25th 11, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:02:05 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>bob urz > wrote in :
>
>> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>>
>> bob

>Nice to know, but not really "news".
>
>First Responders have been educated on such things since 2001, the first
>year the Toyota Prius (274V battery) was on the market. The Volt isn't much
>different than the Prius in that manner.
>
>Can't you find something actually /new/ to post?

The article is only a week old. And if, and I don't doubt you, this
is old news, why is the gvt throwing almost $5M into this private
companies hands to develop more training. Seems like they could have
accomplished teh same thing with a couple videos on youtube and an
email to the mayors of every city asking them to pass the info on to
their local first responders. Gvt never does anything with an eye to
saving money....
Old January 25th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> why is the gvt throwing almost $5M into this private
> companies hands

Good question. And I think you know the answer...

--
Tegger
Old January 25th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> bob urz > wrote in :
>
>> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>>
>> bob

> Nice to know, but not really "news".
>
> First Responders have been educated on such things since 2001, the first
> year the Toyota Prius (274V battery) was on the market. The Volt isn't much
> different than the Prius in that manner.

And most of us also carry the updated guides for ALL the alternative
fuels vehicles. The manufacturers publish them and send them out free
for the asking.

Orange is not the only color you don't want to cut...

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old January 25th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:02:05 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>> bob urz > wrote in :
>>
>>> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>>>
>>> bob

>> Nice to know, but not really "news".
>>
>> First Responders have been educated on such things since 2001, the first
>> year the Toyota Prius (274V battery) was on the market. The Volt isn't much
>> different than the Prius in that manner.
>>
>> Can't you find something actually /new/ to post?

> The article is only a week old. And if, and I don't doubt you, this
> is old news, why is the gvt throwing almost $5M into this private
> companies hands to develop more training. Seems like they could have
> accomplished teh same thing with a couple videos on youtube and an
> email to the mayors of every city asking them to pass the info on to
> their local first responders. Gvt never does anything with an eye to
> saving money....

Gee, The Government is tossing more of OUR money to a company to teach
courses that are already out there and FREE! Gee what a shock...

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old January 25th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> bob urz > wrote in :
>
>> http://eetweb.com/applications/EV_fi...111/index.html
>>
>> bob

> Nice to know, but not really "news".
>
> First Responders have been educated on such things since 2001, the first
> year the Toyota Prius (274V battery) was on the market. The Volt isn't much
> different than the Prius in that manner.
>
> Can't you find something actually /new/ to post?

http://www.albertavx.com/index.php?o...d=5&Ite mid=4

http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/ERGs.aspx

http://www.emergencytrainingsolution...hicle_info.htm

http://www.extrication.com/ERG.htm

Are just a few of the training and resource guides out there.

OH and the NFPA is great at developing guidelines that **** away money
and cause no end to the grief for Emergency Responders. They are also
REALLY good at coming up with ways to help companies make BIG money off
the same people by ramming through legislation using friendly lawmakers
that forces people to follow their "guidelines" (NFPA has NO AUTHORITY
to write laws or regulations) by making it part of the state or federal
laws.

Case in point. A new "guideline" now requires a FD to throw out turn-out
gear after 10 years regardless of actual use. Doesn't matter if it was
never worn in a fire or even taken out of the box. 10 years after it was
sold by the company it HAS to be tossed out.
Doesn't sound like much of a big deal until you realize they mean ALL of
the gear, IE: boots, bunkers, coat, gloves, hood, helmet. Total cost of
the lowest end set - around $1,500.00 per fireman.

Another standard wants fire engines, aerials and other vehicles replaced
at 20 years, again regardless of use or condition, Average cost of one
new EPA compliant Engine - $500,000.00 Care to guess how many of those
will be getting replaced...

--
Steve W.
Old January 25th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"Steve W." > wrote in
:

> Gee, The Government is tossing more of OUR money to a company to teach
> courses that are already out there and FREE! Gee what a shock...

I smell government employees trying to justify their department's existence
and continued expansion...

Don't cut the orange wire, cut government budgets instead.

--
Tegger
Old January 25th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in
> :
>

>> Gee, The Government is tossing more of OUR money to a company to teach
>> courses that are already out there and FREE! Gee what a shock...
>>

> I smell government employees trying to justify their department's existence
> and continued expansion...
>
> Don't cut the orange wire, cut government budgets instead.

The NFPA LOVES to **** away money.

The latest stuff from them is going to add close to $60,000.00 to the
price of a rig. And it will NOT improve firefighter safety one bit!!!!

But it will allow more intrusion into operations and funding options...

--
Steve W.
Old January 27th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message >>

> I smell government employees trying to justify their department's
> existence
> and continued expansion...
>
> Don't cut the orange wire, cut government budgets instead.
> Tegger

I grouse as much as, if not more than, anyone else about the government's
waste of money. But there is also another side....if they REALLY slowed
their spending very much, our sick economy would get even worse.

From a personal viewpoint, what does one do when he has spent beyond
his ability to pay, cannot raise his income, and has his credit cards maxed
out? We all know the answer, I think.