de-stinking a car interior

Old January 26th 11, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
jim

Default de-stinking a car interior

Tegger wrote:

> Nate Nagel > wrote in news:ihnvvj08q0
> @news3.newsguy.com:
>

> > you could have just said "I've often wondered why Microsoft products are
> > so damnably difficult."
> >
> > I love how every new version of Office seems to have a completely
> > different menu/button structure for the various programs...

> One of our suppliers' employees is getting an intermittent bounce when
> attempting to send to one of our employees. The bounce message doesn't give
> any information other than, basically "username does not exist". It does
> not say which server is reporting that error, which is what I want to know.
>
> So, I investigate, and discover that supplier is using Outlook. Then I
> discover (online) that Outlook REMOVES headers from messages when it stores
> the messages! The guy I'm dealing with is clueless with computers, and his
> IT department is unresponsive. I have to go there tomorrow anyway, and the
> guy is willing to let me futz around on his computer until I find what I
> want.

How do you plan on "finding out what you want"
if the data is not stored like you claim it isn't?

Old January 26th 11, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Tegger > wrote in
:

> So, I investigate, and discover that supplier is using Outlook. Then I
> discover (online) that Outlook REMOVES headers from messages when it
> stores the messages! The guy I'm dealing with is clueless with
> computers, and his IT department is unresponsive. I have to go there
> tomorrow anyway, and the guy is willing to let me futz around on his
> computer until I find what I want.

OK, I futzed around for a bit this morning and came up with....nothing.

The computer in question has Office 2003.

Microsoft's online help was useless. Google turned up numerous ways of
viewing headers, but none of them matched up with any of the menu dialog
boxes I saw, and I could not find any menus at all where I had the option
of getting at the headers.

This is stupid.

--
Tegger
Old January 27th 11, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer

On 1/26/11 5:41 PM, in article ,
"Tegger" > wrote:

> Tegger > wrote in
> :
>

>> So, I investigate, and discover that supplier is using Outlook. Then I
>> discover (online) that Outlook REMOVES headers from messages when it
>> stores the messages! The guy I'm dealing with is clueless with
>> computers, and his IT department is unresponsive. I have to go there
>> tomorrow anyway, and the guy is willing to let me futz around on his
>> computer until I find what I want.
>>

> OK, I futzed around for a bit this morning and came up with....nothing.
>
> The computer in question has Office 2003.
>
> Microsoft's online help was useless. Google turned up numerous ways of
> viewing headers, but none of them matched up with any of the menu dialog
> boxes I saw, and I could not find any menus at all where I had the option
> of getting at the headers.
>
> This is stupid.

If you can find the actual message file(s), try dumping it out with a fully
functional editor (I like emacs).

Old January 27th 11, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Tegger wrote:
> Tegger > wrote in
> :
>

>> So, I investigate, and discover that supplier is using Outlook. Then I
>> discover (online) that Outlook REMOVES headers from messages when it
>> stores the messages! The guy I'm dealing with is clueless with
>> computers, and his IT department is unresponsive. I have to go there
>> tomorrow anyway, and the guy is willing to let me futz around on his
>> computer until I find what I want.
>>

> OK, I futzed around for a bit this morning and came up with....nothing.
>
> The computer in question has Office 2003.
>
> Microsoft's online help was useless. Google turned up numerous ways of
> viewing headers, but none of them matched up with any of the menu dialog
> boxes I saw, and I could not find any menus at all where I had the option
> of getting at the headers.
>
> This is stupid.

I disliked MS readers too. My younger staff set me up with
ThunderBird email/news.
It's a free software program. Click [V]iew, [H]eaders.
Toggle normal or full display. Even I can manage that.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old January 27th 11, 12:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"E. Meyer" > wrote in
:

> If you can find the actual message file(s), try dumping it out with a
> fully functional editor (I like emacs).

Outlook REMOVES the headers from the message. The headers are stored
SEPARATELY, but linked to the appropriate message somehow. It is that
separate store which I cannot find.

Outlook Express, Thunderbird and other email clients I have used do NOT
split their messgaes up in the manner of Outlook.

--
Tegger
Old January 27th 11, 01:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer

On 1/27/11 6:28 AM, in article ,
"Tegger" > wrote:

> "E. Meyer" > wrote in
> :
>

>> If you can find the actual message file(s), try dumping it out with a
>> fully functional editor (I like emacs).
>>

> Outlook REMOVES the headers from the message. The headers are stored
> SEPARATELY, but linked to the appropriate message somehow. It is that
> separate store which I cannot find.
>
> Outlook Express, Thunderbird and other email clients I have used do NOT
> split their messgaes up in the manner of Outlook.

I confess I never use Outlook. Started to set it up once, but it was so
cryptic and dysfunctional I just stick with Outlook Express when I have to
use PC's. Moved to a Mac in '02 and have never looked back.

This page ( http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/viewheaders.htm ) & the
additional links in it appear to have some reasonable looking ideas to get
the headers. I don't have an Outlook set up right now to try any of them.
Looks like a big mess. I guess its one of those things that depends on how
badly you need it.