Soft Touch trunk won't stay closed on 740iL

Old December 29th 04, 03:47 PM

Default Soft Touch trunk won't stay closed on 740iL

A while back I asked for help on a problem with my '96 740iL....the soft
touch trunk would pull it closed, only to open back up by itself, almost
instantly other times by varying delays, some lasting up to minutes.
Also once in a while it wouldn't open at all, even by pushing the
release switch or remote control.

Some people had told me to unhook the battery and let it "reset", others
to unhook the battery, trip the latch manually with a screw driver, then
reconnect the battery to fix it when it got "out of sync". Neither of
these had any effect.

The trunk electronics in my car were located in the A1 module located
behind the glove box. It has four signals going to it:
1) Unlock trunk from inside the cabin (switch under dash by drivers door
2) Unlock trunk from push button on trunk
3) Motor closed position from switch mounted to rotating shaft that
pulls it closed
4) Trunk open/closed signal from latch assembly mounted in the trunk
lid, center (the part that fits over the pin).

Turns out the problem was the switch in the latch assembly (4). It has
dirty contacts and, depending on temperature and how many times it was
cycled, as well as ornerienous, it would make or break contact. I found
all this out by taking apart A1 and monitoring, with a scope, the
signals coming into the box. It was obvious that the signal from that
switch when closed was intermittent, not always staying grounded. (BTW,
the signal is not a simple +12v or ground, but a recurring pulse put out
by the computer that was held low (shorted out) when the switch was
closed).

The only way to get this switch is by buying the lock assembly. For sure
it is fixed.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help !
JC
--
Jim Collins
Sammamish, WA