Fuel problem?

Old February 12th 05, 08:52 PM
David C. Moller

Default Fuel problem?

Have something odd going on with my '99 TJ Sport. Just started in the
last couple of weeks... while driving, highway or city, any speed, the
Jeep will sometimes hesitate/lurch as if it's not getting any fuel.
Normally, I'd go right after the fuel filter *but*, here's the weird
part... it only seems to happen when the tank is about 1/4 full or
below. With a full tank, everything seems to be fine. Any
thoughts/suggestions?

Dave
Old February 12th 05, 10:13 PM
Peter D.

i put my money on the fuel pump (101 %)
i had the fuel pump replaced on my 92 caddy because it exhibited THE SAME
EXACT BEHAVIOR
you are describing
eventually, the problem evolved to a point where the engine would die unless
the tank was full
even then i had tremendous hesitation with the throttle half way down or
more
the car just wasn't drivable anymore
had the mechanic replace the fuel pump, $300 parts and labor, eng runs like
brand new
don't worry about the inline fuel filter, would not make any difference in
this case

the only thing that bothers me is the presence of this problem on a recent
car like yours
(unless your mileage is in the 150k neighborhood)
what's the matter with the quality of cars these days?!

Old February 13th 05, 04:42 PM
Paw

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? I had an issue like you
described, but it was w/ the tank at any level, so it may not apply. Just
throwing out some different ideas. Cleaned the throttle body and fixed the
issue of the intermittent lurching/hesitating.

Paul

Old February 13th 05, 09:43 PM
David C. Moller

Thanks Peter (and Paul) for the responses. I'll monitor the situation,
see how it goes. My mileage is rather high, approaching 99K, so I
guess it could be the fuel pump.

Dave

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:13:03 -0500, "Peter D."
> wrote:

>i put my money on the fuel pump (101 %)
>i had the fuel pump replaced on my 92 caddy because it exhibited THE SAME
>EXACT BEHAVIOR
>you are describing
>eventually, the problem evolved to a point where the engine would die unless
>the tank was full
>even then i had tremendous hesitation with the throttle half way down or
>more
>the car just wasn't drivable anymore
>had the mechanic replace the fuel pump, $300 parts and labor, eng runs like
>brand new
>don't worry about the inline fuel filter, would not make any difference in
>this case
>
>the only thing that bothers me is the presence of this problem on a recent
>car like yours
>(unless your mileage is in the 150k neighborhood)
>what's the matter with the quality of cars these days?!

.. .

Old February 13th 05, 09:47 PM
DougW

David C. Moller did pass the time by typing:
> Thanks Peter (and Paul) for the responses. I'll monitor the situation,
> see how it goes. My mileage is rather high, approaching 99K, so I
> guess it could be the fuel pump.

It isn't always the pump. Check the filter.
http://members.cox.net/douglas.wilson/badgas/

If it's easy to get at just drop it out and drain
it backwards. Give it a good shake and see what
comes out.

--
DougW

Old February 15th 05, 04:47 PM
David C. Moller

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:47:55 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>David C. Moller did pass the time by typing:
>> Thanks Peter (and Paul) for the responses. I'll monitor the situation,
>> see how it goes. My mileage is rather high, approaching 99K, so I
>> guess it could be the fuel pump.

>It isn't always the pump. Check the filter.
>http://members.cox.net/douglas.wilson/badgas/
>
>If it's easy to get at just drop it out and drain
>it backwards. Give it a good shake and see what
>comes out.

Thanks Doug.

Dave