2000 Acord LX Engine Light code P1457

Old January 24th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
frank777

Default 2000 Acord LX Engine Light code P1457

few month ago, "check engine light" came on. Honda dealer diagnosed (tech
pulled evap leak code P1457) and
checked the car and did not find anything wrong (2x), just reset the light
and replaced the gas cap.
On my third visit, (wander why it took so long) they found:
Sticking vent shut valve and canister, and gave me price $375 to fix it.
I do some work on my car. I think I found the valve under the car, just in
front of the gas tank, next to the fuel pump. It does not look like a big
job to change it.
Anybody did this before and are there any tricks I should be aware of?
How much are the parts (vacuum canister solenoid valve and possibly the
canister itself, if
it should be replaced too?
Thanks for any help.

Old January 24th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"frank777" > wrote in
news
> few month ago, "check engine light" came on. Honda dealer diagnosed
> (tech pulled evap leak code P1457) and
> checked the car and did not find anything wrong (2x), just reset the
> light and replaced the gas cap.
> On my third visit, (wander why it took so long) they found:
> Sticking vent shut valve and canister, and gave me price $375 to fix
> it. I do some work on my car. I think I found the valve under the car,
> just in front of the gas tank, next to the fuel pump. It does not look
> like a big job to change it.
> Anybody did this before and are there any tricks I should be aware of?
> How much are the parts (vacuum canister solenoid valve and possibly
> the canister itself, if
> it should be replaced too?
> Thanks for any help.

This is covered unner TSB 03-001.

Ask you dealer to print this out for you.

Or you can get it he
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login with
username: lib
Password: access
Choose "Auto Repair Reference Center" from menu at left, then navigate to
your car.

Some people manage to get TSB repairs for free. This depends on your
dealer, and your relationship with that dealer.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 25th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
frank777

Tegger, thanks for the insight. I will call the dealer tomorrow.
Frank

Old January 25th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

You can get the TSB from this link:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Brows...DA/ACCORD.aspx
see No. 52

DTC is he
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/Specific/Honda.aspx

Old February 7th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
frank777

"frank777" > wrote in message
> Tegger, thanks for the insight. I will call the dealer tomorrow.
> Frank
>
> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "frank777" > wrote in
>> news >>
>>> few month ago, "check engine light" came on. Honda dealer diagnosed
>>> (tech pulled evap leak code P1457) and
>>> checked the car and did not find anything wrong (2x), just reset the
>>> light and replaced the gas cap.
>>> On my third visit, (wander why it took so long) they found:
>>> Sticking vent shut valve and canister, and gave me price $375 to fix
>>> it. I do some work on my car. I think I found the valve under the car,
>>> just in front of the gas tank, next to the fuel pump. It does not look
>>> like a big job to change it.
>>> Anybody did this before and are there any tricks I should be aware of?
>>> How much are the parts (vacuum canister solenoid valve and possibly
>>> the canister itself, if
>>> it should be replaced too?
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>

>> This is covered unner TSB 03-001.
>>
>> Ask you dealer to print this out for you.
>>
>> Or you can get it he
>> http://search.ebscohost.com/
>> Login with
>> username: lib
>> Password: access
>> Choose "Auto Repair Reference Center" from menu at left, then navigate to
>> your car.
>>
>> Some people manage to get TSB repairs for free. This depends on your
>> dealer, and your relationship with that dealer.
>>

>> --
>> Tegger
>>
>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Just an update.
I did call Honda and they agreed to pay for the parts. They fixed the
problem and I just paid for labor costs (1 hour).
Appriciate the excellent advice. Thanks a lot Tegger.
Frank

Old February 8th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"frank777" > wrote in
:

> Just an update.
> I did call Honda and they agreed to pay for the parts. They fixed the
> problem and I just paid for labor costs (1 hour).
> Appriciate the excellent advice. Thanks a lot Tegger.

Excellent! Two thumbs up! Thanks for the update.

The P1457 problem is very common and is due to EPA mandates. I'd ordinarily
say it's too bad the automakers have to soak up the costs imposed on them
by the EPA, but Honda is so overweeningly
enviro-weenie-ish I figure it serves them right.