Body swap (63 for 70)

Old July 18th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Default Body swap (63 for 70)

Will a 70 (Standard Beetle) body fit on a 63 chasis?

I have a spare body lined up and rather than replace heater channel's
and various other rusted bits, this would be easier if no modifications
are nessecary.

Cheers

Old July 18th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"zigford" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Will a 70 (Standard Beetle) body fit on a 63 chasis?
>
> I have a spare body lined up and rather than replace heater channel's
> and various other rusted bits, this would be easier if no modifications
> are nessecary.
>
> Cheers

the rear body mount(in rear wheelwells) will have to be moved upward(i
believe it is upward). this is a relatively simple modification....the only
other spot I'm unsure of is where the body(70) usually bolts to the front
beam(under fuel tank) might be different than the chasis....this is not
something i am sure of, but the 70 did have a different front beam, so not
sure....someone with more experience with ealier cars may have to speak up
here...Speedy, Speedy, where are you Speedy?

Old July 18th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "zigford" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Will a 70 (Standard Beetle) body fit on a 63 chasis?
>>
>>I have a spare body lined up and rather than replace heater channel's
>>and various other rusted bits, this would be easier if no modifications
>>are nessecary.
>>
>>Cheers
>>

> the rear body mount(in rear wheelwells) will have to be moved upward(i
> believe it is upward). this is a relatively simple modification....the only
> other spot I'm unsure of is where the body(70) usually bolts to the front
> beam(under fuel tank) might be different than the chasis....this is not
> something i am sure of, but the 70 did have a different front beam, so not
> sure....someone with more experience with ealier cars may have to speak up
> here...Speedy, Speedy, where are you Speedy?

You rang??

I don't have any hands-on with that swap, but you're probably right
about both items. No big deal though.

One thing I would be concerned about before doing the
swap is exactly what *your* state BMV requires for titling when
there are **TWO** VIN numbers. Some states don't give a hoot,
but others really do care. Just a heads up.

Jim
Old July 19th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
om...
> Joey Tribiani wrote:

> You rang??

nice to be "needed" isn't it....<G>

> I don't have any hands-on with that swap, but you're probably right
> about both items. No big deal though.
>
> One thing I would be concerned about before doing the
> swap is exactly what *your* state BMV requires for titling when
> there are **TWO** VIN numbers. Some states don't give a hoot,
> but others really do care. Just a heads up.
>
> Jim

good point Jim....didn't even consider the red tape involved...here in VA
the DMV used to not really "care" which you used, but prefered the chasis
vin.... now i think they require the chasis vin to be the one that is used
for title requests...

Old July 19th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Peter

The front mounts above the beam are the same, so no problem there. However,
as mentioned already the rear mounts are lower on the chassis, so you will
need to weld extensions onto the body brackets. You will need to use the
later engine seal, although I am not sure how well it matches with the
earlier tin.

How to swap 1965 body on a 1970 pan [email protected] VW air cooled 6 February 9th 06 08:14 PM
Body off - body support? Remco VW air cooled 15 July 19th 05 01:23 PM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM