k&n air filters

Old June 5th 14, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
woody

Default k&n air filters

I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000 miles.
Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled
the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so good I guess.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/k-n-...rs-114589-.htm

Old June 5th 14, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 6/4/2014 9:19 PM, woody wrote:
> I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000
> miles.
> Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled
> the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so
> good I guess.

When I rebuilt our big shop air compressor, I added a K&N
automotive filter because it was so much better than the
original style and cheap too. Only took a few minutes of
modification to mount well.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old June 5th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
money2noise

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:19:02 PM UTC-6, woody wrote:
> I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000 miles.
>
> Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled
>
> the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so good I guess.
>

> --
>
> posted from
>
> http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/k-n-...rs-114589-.htm
>
> using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
>
> rec.autos.tech and other automotive groups

I used them with a CAI on a 2000 Silverado. After 15k miles, took it off to clean it and noticed dust in the intake tube. That truck was off road a lot and I ran sand dunes with it so it was extreme conditions but I'll never use another. No issues with paper.
Old June 5th 14, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-06-05, money2noise > wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:19:02 PM UTC-6, woody wrote:
>> I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000 miles.
>>
>> Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled
>>
>> the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so good I guess.
>>

>> --
>>
>> posted from
>>
>> http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/k-n-...rs-114589-.htm
>>
>> using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
>>
>> rec.autos.tech and other automotive groups

> I used them with a CAI on a 2000 Silverado. After 15k miles, took it
> off to clean it and noticed dust in the intake tube. That truck was
> off road a lot and I ran sand dunes with it so it was extreme
> conditions but I'll never use another. No issues with paper.

Yep. I noticed the same in the folds of my street driven '97 Mustang's
intake tube. Went back to paper. I don't think what is let through
amounts to anything except over a very long period of time for a street
driven car, but I keep my cars for very long periods of time.

Old June 5th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
me

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:14:16 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
> On 2014-06-05, money2noise > wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:19:02 PM UTC-6, woody wrote:

> >> I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000 miles.

> >> Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled

> >> the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so good I guess.

> >> --

> >> posted from

> >> http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/k-n-...rs-114589-.htm

> >> using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to

> >> rec.autos.tech and other automotive groups

> > I used them with a CAI on a 2000 Silverado. After 15k miles, took it

> > off to clean it and noticed dust in the intake tube. That truck was

> > off road a lot and I ran sand dunes with it so it was extreme

> > conditions but I'll never use another. No issues with paper.

> Yep. I noticed the same in the folds of my street driven '97 Mustang's
>
> intake tube. Went back to paper. I don't think what is let through
>
> amounts to anything except over a very long period of time for a street
>
> driven car, but I keep my cars for very long periods of time.

I too keep my cars forever (at least until not feasible to keep them anymore). GM actually had a warranty exclusion clause on the use of oiled filters. I guess if they are over oiled, they gum up the MAF and somehow burn up the transmission. I liked the noise that came out of it but saw no performance or MPG gain at all.
Old June 5th 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 12:55:32 -0700 (PDT), me >
wrote:

>On Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:14:16 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

>> > I used them with a CAI on a 2000 Silverado. After 15k miles, took it

>> > off to clean it and noticed dust in the intake tube. That truck was

>> > off road a lot and I ran sand dunes with it so it was extreme

>> > conditions but I'll never use another. No issues with paper.

>> Yep. I noticed the same in the folds of my street driven '97 Mustang's
>>
>> intake tube. Went back to paper. I don't think what is let through
>>
>> amounts to anything except over a very long period of time for a street
>>
>> driven car, but I keep my cars for very long periods of time.

>I too keep my cars forever (at least until not feasible to keep them anymore). GM actually had a warranty exclusion clause on the use of oiled filters. I guess if they are over oiled, they gum up the MAF and somehow burn up the transmission. I liked the noise that came out of it but saw no performance or MPG gain at all.

Testing has shown the K&N to be essentially worthless. At best you
might gain 4 HP at WOT. Lots of people have experienced MAF
malfunctions from the oil from them getting on the MAF wire. Tests
show they do a lousy job of filtering the air compared to paper
filters. Why switch from something that works well, a paper filter,
to something that has proven to do a poorer job of the main thing you
use a filter for, filtering.

Filtrete Miele K/K Synthetic Bags and Filters, 5 Bags and 2 Filters [email protected] Technology 0 May 22nd 09 01:54 PM
So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate Don Byrer Technology 88 December 8th 06 05:59 AM
K & A Air Filters Armand Honda 7 March 15th 06 01:47 AM
Air Filters Rufio Corvette 5 March 11th 06 10:37 AM
Are cotton air-filters the only type of filters with good air-flow? socraticquest Technology 8 July 6th 05 09:50 PM