Curb rush how to cope

Old March 10th 14, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Default Curb rush how to cope

I have 17"ers that have curb rush from the bouts with the curbs
and from idiot importers who have mishandled them when the car arrived
(used).

Given that I have my heart bleed each time I get another mark on the
wheel (parking arrangements in the ****ing city make parallel parking
pretty much a daily occurrence, **** the mayour and the local enforcement).

So I plan to give up and get a set of 15" steelies going
from 235 45 R17 to 205 or 195 65 R15s sacrificing the handling in summer
(I already run 195 65R15s steels in winter).

Go for it or bite the bullet and pay out of the nose for a set of 17"
rubber? the all season conti "pro" contacts are almost gone on the those
stock alloys and the plan is to avoid squeaky "all season" "highway"
grade of rubber at all costs, though I don't suppose I can
get semislicks win 65 profile even here in urop.

so the plan is to shop something around UHP category which is probably
available in 65 profile.

any thoughts on the 15 vs 17 matter, etc?
the car is wearing true, albeit somewhat worn, sport suspenders (out of
the factory, as opposed to the Rice Boy School Bus Grade Springs Of Steel)
Old March 10th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-03-10, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please > wrote:
> I have 17"ers that have curb rush from the bouts with the curbs
> and from idiot importers who have mishandled them when the car arrived
> (used).
>
> Given that I have my heart bleed each time I get another mark on the
> wheel (parking arrangements in the ****ing city make parallel parking
> pretty much a daily occurrence, **** the mayour and the local enforcement).
>
> So I plan to give up and get a set of 15" steelies going
> from 235 45 R17 to 205 or 195 65 R15s sacrificing the handling in summer
> (I already run 195 65R15s steels in winter).
>
> Go for it or bite the bullet and pay out of the nose for a set of 17"
> rubber? the all season conti "pro" contacts are almost gone on the those
> stock alloys and the plan is to avoid squeaky "all season" "highway"
> grade of rubber at all costs, though I don't suppose I can
> get semislicks win 65 profile even here in urop.
>
> so the plan is to shop something around UHP category which is probably
> available in 65 profile.
>
> any thoughts on the 15 vs 17 matter, etc?
> the car is wearing true, albeit somewhat worn, sport suspenders (out of
> the factory, as opposed to the Rice Boy School Bus Grade Springs Of Steel)

Why not tires that better protect the lip of the wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=149

Old March 10th 14, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

[snip]
> Why not tires that better protect the lip of the wheels?
>
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=149

Because I live in a locale not serviced by tire rack where tire choices
are severely limited and prices in 17" sizes are severely inflated :-]

Tirerack itself does not treat this article seriously, otherwise
scoffguard would've been in their search option.

Thank you for the pointer though. Maybe some curb rush victim in
the states could make a use of this info.

Also I fear A4 wheel wells might not clear anything much fatter than
235s in 235 45 R17 and that clearance issue might be the reason
why tirerack search might have become unwieldly complex (on
implemntation side) if they tried to
incorporate scoffguard into the search pages.

Though I should say tirerack is pretty good tracking down
if you have ordered something that would not work for one reason or
another and contacting the client about the issue.

I was very pleased with the service when I lived in the states.

Old March 10th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-03-10, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please > wrote:
> [snip]
>> Why not tires that better protect the lip of the wheels?
>>
>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=149
>>

> Because I live in a locale not serviced by tire rack where tire choices
> are severely limited and prices in 17" sizes are severely inflated :-]

I was not saying to buy from them. They happened to have an article with
photographs to illustrate what I was getting at. Picture
1000 words. Availaibility of 17" tires is a different problem than curb
rash, but such a feature is pretty common on 17" tires.

> Tirerack itself does not treat this article seriously, otherwise
> scoffguard would've been in their search option.

Well, such tires have spared my wheels (17" on one car) on more than one
occasion.

Old March 12th 14, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Spelling Police

Dog-Damned SunOverBeach!
Some things just make me go AAARRGG!!!!!.

> otherwise scoffguard would've been in their search option.

Scuff Guard.
It's a "U".
And it's right there on the page you read.
Twice.

> Thank you for the pointer though. Maybe some curb rush victim

rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh.
With an "A".

Old March 15th 14, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 12:33 AM, Spelling Police wrote:
> Dog-Damned SunOverBeach!
> Some things just make me go AAARRGG!!!!!.
>
>> otherwise scoffguard would've been in their search option.

> Scuff Guard.
> It's a "U".
> And it's right there on the page you read.
> Twice.

Please do not scoff at his spelling.

>> Thank you for the pointer though. Maybe some curb rush victim

> rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh.
> With an "A".

I thought it was an odd European colloquialism.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 16th 14, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Default Curb rash how to cope

On 3/15/14, 19:12, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 3/12/2014 12:33 AM, Spelling Police wrote:
>> Dog-Damned SunOverBeach!
>> Some things just make me go AAARRGG!!!!!.
>>
>>> otherwise scoffguard would've been in their search option.

>> Scuff Guard.
>> It's a "U".
>> And it's right there on the page you read.
>> Twice.
>>

> Please do not scoff at his spelling.
>
>>> Thank you for the pointer though. Maybe some curb rush victim

>> rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh.
>> With an "A".

> I thought it was an odd European colloquialism.

Well, the city is run by a ****ing moron:
The parking arrangements are such that johnny come late
is face with a prospect to rush to a curb to park on the greens.
Hence the curb rush you see from the competing curb climbing
SUVs :-)))))

I kid you not, green strips, pedestrian walkways.
You spit in just about any direction : you'd risk hitting a car there.
It would've been understandable in the old developments,
but the newly built condominiums are just as ****ing bad.
They are ****ing built with an assumption that everyone
****ing walks.

So curb encounters are frequent. Dunno if a fatter tire sugested
with scuffguards would be an effective scuff deterrent
considering how popular of a sport the ****ing curb climbing is.
And participating in that moronic activity is pretty much
a given. See the mayor statement above.

To draw you a picture how ****ed up the place is.
The mayor was visiting some ****ing condominium
for **** knows what reason a few months back.
The news guys reported that the inner condo courtyard
was cleared of cars by the tow trucks moving the ****ing cars
to the nearby streets.

I'd think Ronald Regan had a very good idea what he was talking about
when he called this place the evil empire. The denial is ****ing
unbelievable.
Lets pretend there is no parking problem and keep sticking
the equivalent of "residents partking only" signs everywhere.

Where the **** the visitors are gonna park?
Can you imagine a sign on the DMV parking lot "employees only"?
Well, it's just on every single ****ing government office.
Self serving ****ers rule this country.

Old March 16th 14, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 3/16/2014 8:54 AM, I hate front wheel drive, send most
torque to the rear, please wrote:
> On 3/15/14, 19:12, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 3/12/2014 12:33 AM, Spelling Police wrote:
>>> Dog-Damned SunOverBeach!
>>> Some things just make me go AAARRGG!!!!!.

>>> Scuff Guard.
>>> It's a "U".
>>> And it's right there on the page you read.
>>> Twice.
>>>

>> Please do not scoff at his spelling.

>>> rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh rAsh.
>>> With an "A".

>> I thought it was an odd European colloquialism.
>>

> Well, the city is run by a ****ing moron:
> The parking arrangements are such that johnny come late
> is face with a prospect to rush to a curb to park on the
> greens.
> Hence the curb rush you see from the competing curb climbing
> SUVs :-)))))
>
> I kid you not, green strips, pedestrian walkways.
> You spit in just about any direction : you'd risk hitting a
> car there.
> It would've been understandable in the old developments,
> but the newly built condominiums are just as ****ing bad.
> They are ****ing built with an assumption that everyone
> ****ing walks.
>
> So curb encounters are frequent. Dunno if a fatter tire
> sugested
> with scuffguards would be an effective scuff deterrent
> considering how popular of a sport the ****ing curb climbing
> is.
> And participating in that moronic activity is pretty much
> a given. See the mayor statement above.
>
> To draw you a picture how ****ed up the place is.
> The mayor was visiting some ****ing condominium
> for **** knows what reason a few months back.
> The news guys reported that the inner condo courtyard
> was cleared of cars by the tow trucks moving the ****ing cars
> to the nearby streets.
>
> I'd think Ronald Regan had a very good idea what he was
> talking about
> when he called this place the evil empire. The denial is
> ****ing unbelievable.
> Lets pretend there is no parking problem and keep sticking
> the equivalent of "residents partking only" signs everywhere.
>
> Where the **** the visitors are gonna park?
> Can you imagine a sign on the DMV parking lot "employees only"?
> Well, it's just on every single ****ing government office.
> Self serving ****ers rule this country.

Pretty much all countries now. Your tale would describe most
cities, and mayors, in USA for example. Where are you again?

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old March 19th 14, 10:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Monday, March 10, 2014 7:11:03 PM UTC+8, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please wrote:

> any thoughts on the 15 vs 17 matter, etc?

Personally I favour a harder suspension rather than low-profile tyres to
improve handling.
17 inch or more you will get damaged rims.