Performing a Coolant Pressure Check on an '84 Diesel Rabbit

Old August 4th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bryan K. Walton

Default Performing a Coolant Pressure Check on an '84 Diesel Rabbit

I've got an '84 diesel Rabbit. The radiator doesn't have a cap on it.
The expansion tank is where you fill/top off the coolant. Now, I've
got a small coolant leak that I need to track down. I just had the
head gasket replaced in January, so I'm pretty confident that the
source of my coolant leak is either the expansion tank, hoses, or
radiator. The leak isn't big enough though that I ever see it
leaking. I can usally get away with topping off once a month.

According to the Bentley manual, the way to work through this problem
is by doing a coolant pressure check. Essentially, you hook up the
pressure check device to the cooling system, pump up the pressure, and
then watch it to see if the pressure goes down over the next few
minutes. If it does, you have a leak. Apparently, when the system is
under pressure, it will also be easier to find the source of the leak.

However, all of the pressure check devices I've found so far, attach
directly to the radiator fill cap (which I don't have). Does anybody
know if these devices can also be connected to the expansion tank? If
not, can anybody point me to a source that sells such a device that
will work with my particual Rabbit?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old August 4th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:03:05 -0000, "Bryan K. Walton"
> wrote:

>I've got an '84 diesel Rabbit. The radiator doesn't have a cap on it.
>The expansion tank is where you fill/top off the coolant. Now, I've
>got a small coolant leak that I need to track down. I just had the
>head gasket replaced in January, so I'm pretty confident that the
>source of my coolant leak is either the expansion tank, hoses, or
>radiator. The leak isn't big enough though that I ever see it
>leaking. I can usally get away with topping off once a month.
>
>According to the Bentley manual, the way to work through this problem
>is by doing a coolant pressure check. Essentially, you hook up the
>pressure check device to the cooling system, pump up the pressure, and
>then watch it to see if the pressure goes down over the next few
>minutes. If it does, you have a leak. Apparently, when the system is
>under pressure, it will also be easier to find the source of the leak.
>
>However, all of the pressure check devices I've found so far, attach
>directly to the radiator fill cap (which I don't have). Does anybody
>know if these devices can also be connected to the expansion tank? If
>not, can anybody point me to a source that sells such a device that
>will work with my particual Rabbit?
>
>Thanks,
>Bryan

There are adapters for that (somewhat unusual!) VW tank! <bg> But...
Some thoughts:

1. Don't ever rule out the head or other related gaskets. It can
happen that they fail right away for a number of reasons (including
improper installation, warped head/block, etc.)

2. Consider this... Clean the engine well. Very well. Bypass the
heater core (it's summer, right?) What happens?

3. Does the cooling system pressurize really quickly? Like in the
first few seconds of running? Does the pressure relieve ever kick in?
That is a sign of a leaking head gasket.

4. You cleaned the engine in #2 above. Now, a few weeks later,
carefully look for leaks. Did you knwo that Antifreeze when dryed is
not green usually? Look for light brown. Spray water, if that brown
turns green, that is where the leak is.
Old August 4th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

You can pressurize the system through that little hose going to the
expansion valve.
Be creative since you could probably use a tire/wheel valve, cut it so it
can fit, in that hose and a bicycle pump. ;-)
Of course block off the expansion bottle nipple and you can check pressure
by using a tire pressure gauge.

Remember that you probably shouldn't be able to put too much pressure in the
system since the cap will safely release excess pressure.
I have seen bad caps not hold enough pressure.

Geez I just thought of that idea and will have to use it myself? So let me
know if it works! lol
--
later,
dave

ink.com...

Flush Radiator Brian Mazda 15 November 15th 05 05:57 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Technology 58 September 2nd 05 06:47 AM
warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
Flush Radiator - Opinions Richard Saturn 7 April 4th 05 04:59 PM