Intermittent stall 92 Century

Old January 20th 05, 04:55 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:47:52 GMT, aarcuda69062
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>
>> I do see your point. And furthermore, cannot find fault with it. So
>> I will return to the peanut gallery and watch the *experts* take over.
>> But to date, it seems even the *experts* have been ****ing into the
>> wind.

>Dunno about the ****ing in the wind thing, after all, we're only
>human, it is an intermittent and where ever Ken's car is, odds
>are my arms are too short to reach it from where I'm at.
>>
>> I only know the way it works on -my- car, so that is the end of it for
>> my input on the issue. The way it works on my car, from memory, is I
>> have 35 teeth on a cam wheel

>I believe you mean 'crank' wheel. The cam sensor only needs to
>see a raising or trailing edge of a wave signal to determine the
>camshaft position.

I meant the crankshaft wheel.

>> with 1 missing, which is the reference
>> point the ECM uses to determine timing, dwell angle, a lot of engine
>> parameters. But on my car, in the electrical diagram, the sensor goes
>> DIRECTLY to the PCM. Nothing in between, in the schematics.

>And on Ken's Buick, both the cam and crank signal first go to the
>ignition control module. Whole different animal.

Well now I know.

>> Now, the Saturn? I dunno, but can it be -all- that different?

>Yes, it is very different, and it's the fact that these
>differences exist is what I was attempting to instill in you
>Lawrence.

Well then why doesn't somebody HELP the poor *******? He's twisting
in the wind with this thing is the impression I get.

>> I don't have the Saturn Manual.
>> Do you have the Saturn Manual?

>Yes I do, I have the service manual for every popular vehicle
>sold in North America since 1983 on 2 DVDs, plus numerous text
>versions dating back to (IIRC) 1969.
>I also have numerous factory technical training manuals from GM,
>Ford and Chrysler and numerous aftermarket training manuals from
>various training entities.
>
>> Does comboverfish have the Saturn Manual?

>Don't know.
>
>> Does Ken have the Saturn Manual?

>Probably not, Ken seems to be more of the 'swap a part until it
>happens to run right' type.
>
>> WHO HAS THE SATURN MANUAL. ?!?

>Saturn has the training manual.
>
>> nobody.

>Impossible.
>
>> because if -anybody- had the Saturn Manual, they would have told Ken
>> by now how to test his CPK, and he would be moving on to something
>> else by now.

>What's a "CPK?" Or do you mean 'CKP?'
>
>> You blame me for *diverting resources.*

>Yes, you are a monkey wrench in the gears.

OK, I said I would get out of the thread, consider it DONE.

>Tell us the truth now Lawrence, you were the guy responsible for
>that $300 million dollar satellite that toppled off of the tilt
>fixture after someone swiped the hold down bolts, weren't you?

I don't know what you're talking about here.

>> There ARE no stinking
>> resources to divert !!!

>You want some cheese with that whine?

If you have the manual, go through the diagnostic chart and post it to
give him a chance.

Lg

Old January 20th 05, 06:28 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:47:52 GMT, aarcuda69062
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
> >
> >> I do see your point. And furthermore, cannot find fault with it. So
> >> I will return to the peanut gallery and watch the *experts* take over.
> >> But to date, it seems even the *experts* have been ****ing into the
> >> wind.

> >Dunno about the ****ing in the wind thing, after all, we're only
> >human, it is an intermittent and where ever Ken's car is, odds
> >are my arms are too short to reach it from where I'm at.
> >>
> >> I only know the way it works on -my- car, so that is the end of it for
> >> my input on the issue. The way it works on my car, from memory, is I
> >> have 35 teeth on a cam wheel

> >I believe you mean 'crank' wheel. The cam sensor only needs to
> >see a raising or trailing edge of a wave signal to determine the
> >camshaft position.

> I meant the crankshaft wheel.

Ya know, I couldn't help but notice over the last few months, you
tend to confuse things.
Free country and all that, but for someone who demands precision
and also brags of such, you sure don't exhibit it much.

> >> with 1 missing, which is the reference
> >> point the ECM uses to determine timing, dwell angle, a lot of engine
> >> parameters. But on my car, in the electrical diagram, the sensor goes
> >> DIRECTLY to the PCM. Nothing in between, in the schematics.

> >And on Ken's Buick, both the cam and crank signal first go to the
> >ignition control module. Whole different animal.

> Well now I know.
>
> >> Now, the Saturn? I dunno, but can it be -all- that different?

> >Yes, it is very different, and it's the fact that these
> >differences exist is what I was attempting to instill in you
> >Lawrence.

> Well then why doesn't somebody HELP the poor *******? He's twisting
> in the wind with this thing is the impression I get.

This problem -might- take a seasoned mechanic 4-6 hours to track
down -if- he had the vehicle in his possession, exactly what
miracles do you expect in a forum such as this?
Paul offered that if he had to pick one part that would exhibit
failure symptoms such as this, he'd pick the crank sensor, but
you shot him down right quick.
So, maybe we should shoot Paul for his suggestion and then at his
funeral, take up a collection and buy Ken a new car to replace
his 92 Buick, would that meet your standards for help Lawrence?

> >> I don't have the Saturn Manual.
> >> Do you have the Saturn Manual?

> >Yes I do, I have the service manual for every popular vehicle
> >sold in North America since 1983 on 2 DVDs, plus numerous text
> >versions dating back to (IIRC) 1969.
> >I also have numerous factory technical training manuals from GM,
> >Ford and Chrysler and numerous aftermarket training manuals from
> >various training entities.
> >
> >> Does comboverfish have the Saturn Manual?

> >Don't know.
> >
> >> Does Ken have the Saturn Manual?

> >Probably not, Ken seems to be more of the 'swap a part until it
> >happens to run right' type.
> >
> >> WHO HAS THE SATURN MANUAL. ?!?

> >Saturn has the training manual.
> >
> >> nobody.

> >Impossible.
> >
> >> because if -anybody- had the Saturn Manual, they would have told Ken
> >> by now how to test his CPK, and he would be moving on to something
> >> else by now.

> >What's a "CPK?" Or do you mean 'CKP?'
> >
> >> You blame me for *diverting resources.*

> >Yes, you are a monkey wrench in the gears.

> OK, I said I would get out of the thread, consider it DONE.
>
> >Tell us the truth now Lawrence, you were the guy responsible for
> >that $300 million dollar satellite that toppled off of the tilt
> >fixture after someone swiped the hold down bolts, weren't you?

> I don't know what you're talking about here.

My desktop picture... ... it's a picture of a multi-million
dollar communications satellite that crashed to the ground during
construction because someone had 'borrowed' the clamp down bolts,
the next shift came in and tilted the satellite to do some work
on it and down it went.
Two identifiable screw-ups at play here, both of which can easily
be defined by the word *assumed*.

> >> There ARE no stinking
> >> resources to divert !!!

> >You want some cheese with that whine?

> If you have the manual, go through the diagnostic chart and post it to
> give him a chance.

There is no diagnostic chart for his symptoms, and if there were,
be advised, those charts were designed by bottom of the rung
people who care only about how fast they can transfer out of the
department that they're currently stuck in, and they're designed
to be simple enough for dealership meatballs to understand.
Factory flow charts leave much to be desired, they almost always
end in "replace with known good part," not exactly my idea of a
well thought out test procedure, and according to Ken, one that
so far hasn't yielded much success.

If Ken wants, he can e-mail me, I have open time next week
Thursday or Friday, that gives him 1 week to get the car to me in
Wisconsin (barring any floods, hurricanes or blizzards), I -will-
find the problem, I always do, and it won't be by hanging parts
on it and hoping... He -will- pay by the hour for the time that
it takes me to locate the problem because I didn't build it, I
didn't sell it to him, I didn't put all those miles on it, I
didn't break it and I don't really care if the car is worth the
cost it takes to fix it. Whether or not there is value there is
for him alone to decide.

My impressions are that some circuit is getting spiked and then
latched up, that causes the stall but once the engine is
re-fired, what ever is getting latched is unlatching, or he's got
a typical ****ty GM ECM from that era with some cold solder
joints.
Old January 20th 05, 06:44 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:28:07 GMT, aarcuda69062
> [...]

>so far hasn't yielded much success.
>
>If Ken wants, he can e-mail me, I have open time next week
>Thursday or Friday, that gives him 1 week to get the car to me in
>Wisconsin (barring any floods, hurricanes or blizzards), I -will-
>find the problem, I always do, and it won't be by hanging parts
>on it and hoping... He -will- pay by the hour for the time that
>it takes me to locate the problem because I didn't build it, I
>didn't sell it to him, I didn't put all those miles on it, I
>didn't break it and I don't really care if the car is worth the
>cost it takes to fix it. Whether or not there is value there is
>for him alone to decide.
>
>My impressions are that some circuit is getting spiked and then
>latched up, that causes the stall but once the engine is
>re-fired, what ever is getting latched is unlatching, or he's got

Fine aa. You have the last word on this issue. I said I wasn't going
to comment on it anymore and I won't. I trust your judgement in this
matter more than mine, of course, since you do it for a living and I
only do it to save a buck if I can. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes
I do not. When I do not, I take it to somebody like you and pay up.

No hard feelings over here, hope you don't have any from me, and if
Ken wants his car fixed by somebody else that's always an option,
although I thought, IIRC < yes I'm losing it in the noggin department
a bit > he said he was a bit strapped for cash.

Relax, make yourself comfortable, enjoy.

Lg

Old January 20th 05, 09:46 PM
KENG

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:47:52 GMT, aarcuda69062
> > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>>

>>>I do see your point. And furthermore, cannot find fault with it. So
>>>I will return to the peanut gallery and watch the *experts* take over.
>>>But to date, it seems even the *experts* have been ****ing into the
>>>wind.

>>Dunno about the ****ing in the wind thing, after all, we're only
>>human, it is an intermittent and where ever Ken's car is, odds
>>are my arms are too short to reach it from where I'm at.
>>
>>>I only know the way it works on -my- car, so that is the end of it for
>>>my input on the issue. The way it works on my car, from memory, is I
>>>have 35 teeth on a cam wheel

>>I believe you mean 'crank' wheel. The cam sensor only needs to
>>see a raising or trailing edge of a wave signal to determine the
>>camshaft position.

> I meant the crankshaft wheel.
>

>>>with 1 missing, which is the reference
>>>point the ECM uses to determine timing, dwell angle, a lot of engine
>>>parameters. But on my car, in the electrical diagram, the sensor goes
>>>DIRECTLY to the PCM. Nothing in between, in the schematics.

>>And on Ken's Buick, both the cam and crank signal first go to the
>>ignition control module. Whole different animal.

> Well now I know.
>

>>>Now, the Saturn? I dunno, but can it be -all- that different?

>>Yes, it is very different, and it's the fact that these
>>differences exist is what I was attempting to instill in you
>>Lawrence.

> Well then why doesn't somebody HELP the poor *******? He's twisting
> in the wind with this thing is the impression I get.

I'm not exactly twisting in the wind, this is just a backup car, and
there is no real pressing need to have it. Of course tomorrow when
someone slides through that intersection on black ice, an t-bones my
truck, that priority might just go up a little. I'm just frustrated cuz
it's 901 (intermittent) and stores no code.

KenG

>>>I don't have the Saturn Manual.
>>>Do you have the Saturn Manual?

>>Yes I do, I have the service manual for every popular vehicle
>>sold in North America since 1983 on 2 DVDs, plus numerous text
>>versions dating back to (IIRC) 1969.
>>I also have numerous factory technical training manuals from GM,
>>Ford and Chrysler and numerous aftermarket training manuals from
>>various training entities.
>>

>>>Does comboverfish have the Saturn Manual?

>>Don't know.
>>

>>>Does Ken have the Saturn Manual?

>>Probably not, Ken seems to be more of the 'swap a part until it
>>happens to run right' type.

Actually I have the FSM on the vehicle, and it does mention the Crank
Position Sensor highly in the TS chart. BTW, I don't just swap and hope
it fixes it. The PO changed some of these parts. I do however want to
conserve funds as much as posible. CPS is at the top of my list, but in
this weather it is such a PITA to change, that while I'm waiting for
time and clear weather, I am eliminating the simple though less likely
posibilities. Also, I'm using junkyard parts for TS aids only, if I find
the cause for a few bucks, I would install a new part. On the CPS,
since it is such a PITA to change, I WOULD start with a new part.

KenG

Old January 20th 05, 09:53 PM
KENG

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> [...]

>>latched up, that causes the stall but once the engine is
>>re-fired, what ever is getting latched is unlatching, or he's got
>>a typical ****ty GM ECM from that era with some cold solder
>>joints.

> Fine aa. You have the last word on this issue. I said I wasn't going
> to comment on it anymore and I won't. I trust your judgement in this
> matter more than mine, of course, since you do it for a living and I
> only do it to save a buck if I can. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes
> I do not. When I do not, I take it to somebody like you and pay up.
>
> No hard feelings over here, hope you don't have any from me, and if
> Ken wants his car fixed by somebody else that's always an option,
> although I thought, IIRC < yes I'm losing it in the noggin department
> a bit > he said he was a bit strapped for cash.

Not strapped, I'm just CHEAP.

KenG

Old January 21st 05, 12:35 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> < yes I'm losing it in the noggin department
> a bit >

Understood, that's why I take the time to steer you back on
course.
Old January 21st 05, 12:48 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
KENG > wrote:

> >>Probably not, Ken seems to be more of the 'swap a part until it
> >>happens to run right' type.

> Actually I have the FSM on the vehicle, and it does mention the Crank
> Position Sensor highly in the TS chart. BTW, I don't just swap and hope
> it fixes it. The PO changed some of these parts. I do however want to
> conserve funds as much as posible. CPS is at the top of my list, but in
> this weather it is such a PITA to change, that while I'm waiting for
> time and clear weather, I am eliminating the simple though less likely
> posibilities. Also, I'm using junkyard parts for TS aids only,

Ken, that fits the definition of swap the part and hope it fixes
it. 8-) Considering that you really don't know whether that
junkyard part is any better than the one your replacing, you very
likely wind up going in circles.

> if I find
> the cause for a few bucks, I would install a new part. On the CPS,
> since it is such a PITA to change, I WOULD start with a new part.

PITA? It's a half hour job.
Put the car in the air, remove splash shield from RF corner, pop
the belts, pull the balancer (1 bolt) remove the CPS (2 screws).
Cut two strips of plastic from an anti-freeze jug, 1/2" X 6" or
longer and you have a tool (feeler gauge) for adjusting the gap
on the chopper wheel on the balancer. Button it up and you're
done.
Old January 21st 05, 01:01 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:35:08 GMT, aarcuda69062
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>
>> < yes I'm losing it in the noggin department
>> a bit >

>Understood, that's why I take the time to steer you back on
>course.

That is very _humane_ of you.

I can tell you're a good-hearted fellow.

Lg

Old January 21st 05, 02:52 PM
Comboverfish

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> Put the car in the air, remove splash shield from RF corner, pop
> the belts, pull the balancer (1 bolt) remove the CPS (2 screws).
> Cut two strips of plastic from an anti-freeze jug, 1/2" X 6" or
> longer and you have a tool (feeler gauge) for adjusting the gap
> on the chopper wheel on the balancer. Button it up and you're
> done.

Ah, I was thinking the toothed wheel was on the crank *inside* the
block. Thanks for the clarification. Good info!

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 21st 05, 09:06 PM
KENG

There's a frame rail about an inch and a half from the face of the
harmonic balancer.