2005 Ion, turn signal problem?

Old November 29th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ion Owner

Default 2005 Ion, turn signal problem?

I have a 2005 Ion with a sick turn signal. One of the two filaments
burned out. Saturn conveniently made the replacement operation
tool-free. Replaced the bulb and it still doesn't blink.

Checked the bulb and in-headlamp assembly wiring with an ohmmeter and
by hooking it up to a 12 volt supply. That leaves the control
circuitry.

I've heard of this happening on 2003's and 2004's. Anybody run into
this on a 2005?

And last, the bulb has 2 filaments, one higher wattage than the other.
Which way is it supposed to go in? The bulb is symmetrical with no
polarity markings.

Thanks!
Old November 30th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bookman

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:15:37 GMT, BläBlä
. S!RCRE4P.C0M> wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> I have a 2005 Ion with a sick turn signal. One of the two filaments
>> burned out. Saturn conveniently made the replacement operation
>> tool-free. Replaced the bulb and it still doesn't blink.

>Check underhood fuse block.

Will do, thanks!

>> Checked the bulb and in-headlamp assembly wiring with an ohmmeter and
>> by hooking it up to a 12 volt supply. That leaves the control
>> circuitry.

>Hopefully you didnt backfeed into the BCM.

I did the checks after taking the assembly into the house. It's dark
and cold at night. Have to say, I like how they mount the lamp
assembly. There's nothing like no-tool installation.

>> I've heard of this happening on 2003's and 2004's. Anybody run into
>> this on a 2005?

>Not related.
>
>> And last, the bulb has 2 filaments, one higher wattage than the other.
>> Which way is it supposed to go in? The bulb is symmetrical with no
>> polarity markings.
>>
>> Thanks!

>Polarity does not matter to a light bulb. One filament is for the
>hazard/parking lights, the other is for the turn signal. If you still
>have problems check all of your bulbs.

The phrase polarity wasn't quite right; there aren't + and - terminals
on a bulb. However, plug it in one way and the parking light gets the
brighter filament. Take it out, rotate 180 and plug back in, the
parking light gets the dimmer filament. This seems like an
application begging for a key/tab/asymmetric layout.

Thanks!