emissions trouble

Old November 27th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wastedtallent

Default emissions trouble

I have a 94 sc2 and it has failed the massachusettes emmission test. I've
replace with new the ox sencor and the catalitic converter, it still
failed, any suggestions??

Old November 27th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:01:14 -0500, "wastedtallent"
> wrote:

>I have a 94 sc2 and it has failed the massachusettes emmission test. I've
>replace with new the ox sencor and the catalitic converter, it still
>failed, any suggestions??

Failing how?? What are readings?
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old November 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wastedtallent

it is reading a high hydrocarbons i don't have thenumbers here but will get
them when i get back home.

Old November 27th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article outautos.com>, "wastedtallent" > wrote:
>it is reading a high hydrocarbons i don't have thenumbers here but will get
> them when i get back home.

Hydrocarbons in the exhaust means unburned gasoline. That, in turn, usually
means an ignition problem of some sort. Start with the simplest thing: have
you replaced the spark plugs, or at least checked them?

--
Regards,

Old November 28th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

wastedtallent wrote:
> I have a 94 sc2 and it has failed the massachusettes emmission test. I've
> replace with new the ox sencor and the catalitic converter, it still
> failed, any suggestions??

You really need to take it to a mechanic that has an exhaust gas
analyzer and the proper diagnostic equipment in order to troubleshoot
this. You'll spend a fortune replacing parts that don't need replacing,
for something that will most likely be something minor like a
disconnected hose or wire.

Not sure if MA has a "gross polluter" designation, but be careful. In
California, if you try to "fix" your emissions problems and make it
worse you can end up as a gross polluter and then you're really in for a
lot of hassle. What would cost you a couple of hundred dollars in
repairs, can end up costing upwards of a thousand dollars.
Old November 29th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Yes, I had the same result when the coolant temperature sensor went
bad.
Replacing it turned my "Fail" into a "Pass".
(I've been through this with both my 94 and 95 SC2 and I've seen this
solve two similar problems on this board.)
It also made the engine idle at a more reasonable RPM.
The sensor resistance was ridiculously high - something like 5 Megohms.
It should have been about 50K ohms at freezing, 100 ohms at 100 degrees
(something like that, anyway)
It caused the engine to think it was running much cooler than it
actually was - apparently running rich to "catch up".
(Although I am aware that a LEAN mixture raises exhaust gas
temperature)

You are definately running too "rich" it the test shows excess
hydrocarbon emmissions.

If this isnt the problem, you've got an injector problem - but I'd bet
the sensor is your culprit. They should be available for less than
$10. You'll loose coolant in the procedure, so drain it down first.
-WaV

Old November 29th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article .com>, "wavy" > wrote:
>Yes, I had the same result when the coolant temperature sensor went
>bad.
>Replacing it turned my "Fail" into a "Pass".

[...]
>If this isnt the problem, you've got an injector problem

Not so fast there... all it takes is one spark plug firing only intermittently
to put a pretty fair amount of unburned gasoline (hydrocarbons) in the
exhaust. There are a number of other things that will cause that symptom, too,
and to say that if it's not 'A' then it must be 'B' is simply incorrect.

--
Regards,