new key programming problems

Old July 18th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
toxicated101

Default new key programming problems

Hi

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I have just purchased a key from ebay and
had it cut at my local key cutting store. I have come to follow the
steps but the SKIS indicator light never turns on:

B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On
C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off
D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on
E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash
F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on
G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is
programmed

Both keys I have will start the car, I have put key 1 into the ignition
and turned it it to on (by on I assume its the position that you drive
in rather than the start position) all the indicator light show up the
dash beeps 4 times all light go out, so 5 seconds after turning key is
about the time the beeps stop, turn the key to off (all lights go out)
put the second key in and turn to on, all lights go on, 5 beeps, lights
off, continue waiting but the SKIS indicator never starts to flash.

Am I doing something wrong , should the jeep beep 4 times ( I assumed
that it is just checking gauges)

Cheers

Matt

Old July 18th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jerry Bransford

I dunno but I bought a security key for my wife's JGC and it took maybe
a few programming attempts before I figured out the instructions fully
but it finally worked. Several years later the key still works fine.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I don't get the problem.....

You say the programming worked fine because the key works right?

Maybe the light bulb is bad?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 19th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Practice makes perfect: http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 19th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Seahag

Seems to me I remember something about having to have 2
pre-programmed keys to make more. I only got one with my
Jeep and the dealer charged $80 (40 for parts and 40 for
labor) for another one, which we proceeded to lose...

Seahag

ups.com...

Old July 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jerry Bransford

Mine required just one pre-programmed key to get the new one working.

Old July 19th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

What am I missing? He says both keys will now start the engine....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 19th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I only got 1 key when I bought my WJ. I bought two blank transponder keys
on eBay and then had a local locksmith cut and program the first key with
their computer interface machine using the SKIM code I got from the Jeep
dealership PARTS department. The cutting and programming cost $24.99 and
the key blanks were $11.99 each.

I then programmed the second key myself after getting it cut by using the
directions on http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm#PROGRAM

I would recommend following the "Quick Steps" as the extra information in
the "Detailed Steps' initially led to some confusion.
Quick Steps:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut

Old July 19th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

[...]

The reason I got 2 keys made was so I would have a total of three, if I lost
one I would not have to pay another programming fee.

Old July 19th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
toxicated101

Hi

Maybe I didn't make my self clear, I got the jeep with 2 keys both work
and start the car, I have now purchased a 3rd key had it cut and it is
this key I am having problems programming.

Key A (Original Key starts car)
Key B (Original/spare Key starts car)
Key C (New Key has been cut, needs programming)

I insert Key A and turn to on, wait between 3 and 15 seconds, turn to
off.
I then insert Key B and turn to on (withing 15 seconds) and wait, but
no SKIS light comes on.

I assume the SKIS light is the one of the picture of the key with the
line going through it. Which works because it comes on during the
initial lamp test, you know when you turn the key to on and all the
lights light up, then go out after a few seconds.

I have followed the instructions , they don't seam so complicated,
insert one key turn to on wait 5 seconds, turn off, insert key 2 , turn
to on wait 10 seconds light and a beep should be heard , insert new
key, but no light or beep.

Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers

Matt