Driver on Indy Toll Road caught going 130 mph

Old July 1st 06, 08:00 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Driver on Indy Toll Road caught going 130 mph

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:23:59 -0700, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:38:24 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
> wrote:
>
>> According to the TollRoadNews a driver on the Indiana Toll Road was caught
>>on an off road gas station for going an average of 106 mph but up to 130 mph
>>on may 31st by using his toll ticket and determining his speed and travel
>>time between exits. He went 28 miles in 15 minutes and 51 seconds.
>>http://www.tollroadsnews.com/cgi-bin...EdqcEYJ61nsxIA
>>
>>First I think the court might throw out the reckless driving charge because
>>I don't think they can determine speed based on a toll ticket.

>Physically or legally?

Either one. The clocks at either end, unless they're set or observed to be
accurate before and after the incident, and legally calibrated and tested not
to have anomalies in their timekeeping, may give meaningless results.

>>They would have to use a radar gun to clock his speed.

>Using the timestamps on the toll ticket is not materially different
>than using VASCAR, which is definitely legal.

Yes, it is - the VASCAR is designed for the purpose, and is tested to be sure
that it is accurate.

>>Second do you really think Indiana will let the Toll Road Speed Limit be
>>raised to 95mph?

><shrug> They have to do SOMETHING to get people to want to live
>there...

Ha! Shows what you know about Indiana. Its a damn nice place to live, and way
ahead of Virginia, where I live now. The _only_ thing about Virginia that is
better than Indiana is the weather. Otherwise, there's more things to do, more
places to do 'em, less bull**** legal hasseling for doing everyday things in
cars, and its all a _lot_ cheaper in Indiana than in Virginia. Plus, you don't
have to drive as far to get there, no matter where in Indiana it is...

Dave Head
Old July 2nd 06, 04:49 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Gman[_1_]

Dave Head wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:23:59 -0700, Scott en Aztlán >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:38:24 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> According to the TollRoadNews a driver on the Indiana Toll Road was caught
> >>on an off road gas station for going an average of 106 mph but up to 130 mph
> >>on may 31st by using his toll ticket and determining his speed and travel
> >>time between exits. He went 28 miles in 15 minutes and 51 seconds.
> >>http://www.tollroadsnews.com/cgi-bin...EdqcEYJ61nsxIA
> >>
> >>First I think the court might throw out the reckless driving charge because
> >>I don't think they can determine speed based on a toll ticket.

> >Physically or legally?

> Either one. The clocks at either end, unless they're set or observed to be
> accurate before and after the incident, and legally calibrated and tested not
> to have anomalies in their timekeeping, may give meaningless results.
>

> >>They would have to use a radar gun to clock his speed.

> >Using the timestamps on the toll ticket is not materially different
> >than using VASCAR, which is definitely legal.

> Yes, it is - the VASCAR is designed for the purpose, and is tested to be sure
> that it is accurate.
>
> >>Second do you really think Indiana will let the Toll Road Speed Limit be
> >>raised to 95mph?

> ><shrug> They have to do SOMETHING to get people to want to live
> >there...

> Ha! Shows what you know about Indiana. Its a damn nice place to live, and way
> ahead of Virginia, where I live now. The _only_ thing about Virginia that is
> better than Indiana is the weather. Otherwise, there's more things to do, more
> places to do 'em, less bull**** legal hasseling for doing everyday things in
> cars, and its all a _lot_ cheaper in Indiana than in Virginia. Plus, you don't
> have to drive as far to get there, no matter where in Indiana it is...
>
> Dave Head

Yeah well I like Indiana too, except for up around Gary or Lake
Station. Too much big time Chicago commute and 40 zillion trucks on a
1 zillion roadway (I80/90)

Old July 2nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 09:35:11 -0700, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>>> Ha! Shows what you know about Indiana. Its a damn nice place to live, and way
>>> ahead of Virginia, where I live now.

>Everything is relative.
>
>I grew up in Chicago and have been to IN many times. The only people
>who think it's a nice place to live are those who have never lived
>someplace better.

'Cuz there are damn few places that _are_ better. Other places are mostly more
expensive, have dumbass unnecessarily regulations like vehicle inspections,
excessive pollution regulations requiring even more vehicle inspections, etc.,
dumbass regulations against self defense with a firearm, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

>>Yeah well I like Indiana too, except for up around Gary or Lake
>>Station. Too much big time Chicago commute and 40 zillion trucks on a
>>1 zillion roadway (I80/90)

>Or the bitterly cold winters... Or the "cornfields surround" aspect to
>most of the state.

Yeah, I _said_ the weather in Virginia is better than the weather in Indiana.
Its the _only_ thing about Virginia that's better than Indiana.

You get cornfields surrounding things after about mid-July until harvest in
Indiana, but in Virginia there's forests everywhere, all the time. There's no
more boring road than one that is run thru "tree canyons" where there's nothing
to see but a wall of trees on both sides of the road. Besides the basically
featurless landscape that that causes, the woods then hides the damn deer until
the last second, when they jump out of there and into the path or the side of
your vehicle. At least in Indiana, most of the time, they have to cross some
open are before getting to a lot of the roads, so's you can see 'em coming.

Dave Head