Anyone buy/lease/drive a Magnum RT yet?

Old July 16th 04, 02:58 AM
Jeff

Default Anyone buy/lease/drive a Magnum RT yet?

Hey all,

My father is in the market for a new car soon, and due to his needs,
it has to be a station wagon. He currently drives a 1995 Audi A6, and
while this car has been a completely workhorse for him (150,000 miles
and counting with very little trouble), the new A6 wagons and Audi
Allroads are out of his price range due to the popularity of the
Audi/VW brand at the moment. (Given the reputation of VW/Audi lately,
I'm suprised the manufacturer can command those prices. Anyhoo...)

He's a tall dude, 6'5 or so, and he absolutely needs to have enough
room when driving. The second (and last) requirement is AWD.

Does the Magnum qualify?

I've been speaking to him about it, and I'm pushing him further and
further toward the RT model of the Magnum, with the V8. I understand
it uses some sort of computer-controlled method to shut off cylanders
when not in use. A friend of mine test-drove one and he said he
punched it on a local highway at 40mph, and it was a "neck snapper".
How is the gas mileage on it?

To me, this Magnum RT model at the current pricing structure sounds
like a complete steal.. The only thing I 'worry about' is the jump in
HP from his current Audi to the Dodge. The Audi has a 190hp V6, and
coupled with the weight of this car, translate's to a damn slow
automobile. If you're doing 60mph and need to get to 80mph, you're
fine. It's those dead-stop to 45mph that are a bit rough. The Dodge,
I assume, at ~340hp won't have this problem.

Thanks

-Jeff

'05 Hemi magnum REAL mileage GRL Dodge 16 June 22nd 04 11:42 PM
I drove an '05 Magnum Mr. A Dodge 6 May 29th 04 12:48 AM
Dodge Magnum, seen one? GRL Dodge 3 April 14th 04 04:06 PM