Expensive engine noises update

Old July 16th 05, 07:55 PM
Jeff DeWitt

Default Expensive engine noises update

Went and visited my sick Jeep today and tried to figure out where the
noise was coming from. The stethoscope trick was a great idea, but
didn't really tell me much... the noise seemed to be a little louder at
the top of the engine but not by much, and where it's really noticeable
is underneath... as when I stick my head under the Jeep I can really
hear it.

I took off the valve cover (that was fun with a now warmed up engine!),
and started it back up again, hoping I could see a difference in how one
of the rockers was behaving, but they all seemed to be working the same,
and pressing down on them one by one (both on the valve end and the push
rod end) made no difference in sound at all.

If the problem was a collapsed/stuck lifter wouldn't it be apparent in
the way the rockers move? Just how DO you figure out what lifter is bad
when you have a bad one?

The noise seems to... not exactly quiet down but maybe smooth out a bit
at higher rpm's, if that means anything.

I love this old Jeep, but it's got 300,000 miles on it, and if it really
needs a new engine as much as I hate to say it I'm not sure it's worth
spending $2,000+ on a Jeep that won't be worth that when it's fixed.

Thanks,

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 16th 05, 09:16 PM
Earle Horton

I have seen people do a bottom-end overhaul in the driveway. You really
want to take the crank and the rods to the machine shop, but Plastigage
sometimes works OK. It doesn't have to be $2,000+. It could be more like
$500 and a lot of labor, that you supply yourself.

Earle

m...

Old July 16th 05, 09:35 PM
DougW

Jeff DeWitt did pass the time by typing:
> Went and visited my sick Jeep today and tried to figure out where the
> noise was coming from. The stethoscope trick was a great idea, but
> didn't really tell me much... the noise seemed to be a little louder at
> the top of the engine but not by much, and where it's really noticeable
> is underneath... as when I stick my head under the Jeep I can really
> hear it.

Have you done a compression test? That can point out several things.

--
DougW

Old July 16th 05, 11:31 PM
Jeff DeWitt

I thought about that, is it possible to remove the oil pan without
pulling the engine?

IF it is, and IF the crank isn't beat up from the bad bearing that might
just work.

Thanks,

Jeff DeWitt

Old July 17th 05, 04:57 AM
Earle Horton

Haynes says you can do it. Remove starter, exhaust, bell housing splash pan
first.