98 concorde A/C problem

Old August 21st 05, 02:36 AM
xmirage2kx

Default 98 concorde A/C problem

A/C Works when I am driving, the faster i drive the colder it blows
(to normal extent). RPM’s have nothing to do with it. when I am stuck
in traffic, or even around town, it will overheat the car and not blow
cold. the system is fully charged, so I dont know whats up with it,
any suggestions?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict134583.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=653864
Old August 21st 05, 03:10 AM
Bill Putney

xmirage2kx wrote:
> A/C Works when I am driving, the faster i drive the colder it blows
> (to normal extent). RPM’s have nothing to do with it. when I am stuck
> in traffic, or even around town, it will overheat the car and not blow
> cold. the system is fully charged, so I dont know whats up with it,
> any suggestions?

Very likely you have an engine cooling fan problem. They do wear out
(fan motor bearings). Often, one fan motor goes bad, locks up, and
blows one of the fuses that runs both fans (there's a hi-speed fuse and
a lo-speed fuse). One or both fans not operating would explain all
symptoms that you describe.

To help you diagnose this, it will help you to know that the two engine
cooling fans are wired to run together (i.e., never would only one run
and not the other unless there is a problem). With the hood open and
engine running, the fans should be coming on (cycling). If neither or
only one comnes on, then you will have confirmed what I suspect.

The fan fuses are in the power distribution center (front driver's side
of engine compartment) - labeled "RAD FAN HI" and "RAD FAN HI/LO". You
might check those - replace if blown and see if either or both fans run,
but be prepared for it to blow again if it was blown (because of worn
out fan motor).

Get whatever the problem is fixed soon - you don't want to damage your
engine (head gasket, etc.). Which engine do you have?

There are also fan relays, but I would start by looking at the fan
motors and their fuses. Post back with what you find.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 21st 05, 09:12 PM
maxpower

"xmirage2kx" > wrote in message
news:1_653864_8094a1381723db5ffe0ca68cab1ee5d3@aut oforumz.com...
> A/C Works when I am driving, the faster i drive the colder it blows
> (to normal extent). RPM's have nothing to do with it. when I am stuck
> in traffic, or even around town, it will overheat the car and not blow
> cold. the system is fully charged, so I dont know whats up with it,
> any suggestions?
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-9...ict134583.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=653864

As Bill said, check both fans for proper operation

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech