Electrical Problem Solved 6v slow start

Old March 29th 05, 04:46 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default Electrical Problem Solved 6v slow start

It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt meter.
With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check. Only it
wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything that
could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything checked out
A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought I see how old the
battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the month, Oct. 1, then I wiped
more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975 (29+ year
old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v. In
anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems, at least
for now.
-tom

Old March 29th 05, 05:01 PM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:46:15 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> wrote:

>It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt meter.
>With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check. Only it
>wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything that
>could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything checked out
>A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought I see how old the
>battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the month, Oct. 1, then I wiped
>more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975 (29+ year
>old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v. In
>anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems, at least
>for now.
>-tom

That's actually pretty impressive the battery lasted for so long! I
thought my parents Toyota did well after 12 years.

Make sure that you either fit the original cover (if you have it), or
some rubber sheet over the top of the battery - you don't want it to
short out on the seat springs.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old March 29th 05, 05:29 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:46:15 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt

meter.
> >With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check. Only

it
> >wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything that
> >could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything checked out
> >A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought I see how old the
> >battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the month, Oct. 1, then I

wiped
> >more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975 (29+

year
> >old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v. In
> >anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems, at

least
> >for now.
> >-tom

> That's actually pretty impressive the battery lasted for so long! I
> thought my parents Toyota did well after 12 years.
>
> Make sure that you either fit the original cover (if you have it), or
> some rubber sheet over the top of the battery - you don't want it to
> short out on the seat springs.
>
> --
> Howard Rose
> 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
> 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe
> 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Funny that you mentioned battery cover. When I was doing electricial checks
I didn't have the cover on for test rides to charge the battery (old battery
that is). The cover strap grounded the positive side of the battery and
when I checked voltage the next morning it read zero.
I purchased a 6v battery from Bugformance in San Jose, CA, one that I know
would fit and cover could be used. It's also important to keep the plastic
shield intact after installing the postive cable before putting on the
cover.

The 66 Beetle I purchased had a little over 72, 000 miles, complete
original, always garaged, CA car. The lady was 84 years old and drove it
very little. I took it down to DMV paid $27.in registration fees, $3.
transfer fee, and the last registration was in 1969.
-tom

Old March 29th 05, 06:58 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:46:15 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt

meter.
> >With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check. Only

it
> >wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything that
> >could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything checked out
> >A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought I see how old the
> >battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the month, Oct. 1, then I

wiped
> >more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975 (29+

year
> >old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v. In
> >anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems, at

least
> >for now.
> >-tom

> Bwahahaaha. I'm surprised it had any voltage at all. Don't you hate when
> it's just something simple that you've overlooked?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> 1970 VW Beetle "Millennium Sparrow"

Troubleshooting did take a lot out of me, mostly mental. I remember my wife
saying in the early stages of electrical tracing; "did you check the
battery?" To add insult to injury, I was in the garage with my voltmeter
yesterday, and Bev (my wife) drives up, she rolls down the window and says:
"do you know what today is?" Dumb me says; "ah Monday?" as I was
desperately going through B-day dates in my head. She said; "get dressed,
we're going out to dinner!" Finally it hit me, it was wedding anniversary,
that was close, one foot in the "Dog House". Pretty shocking experience.
-tom

Old March 29th 05, 10:34 PM
TerryB

"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in
:

> "Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:46:15 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It's been over a week of checking the electrical circuit with a volt

> meter.
>> >With the advice of this group, I was able to perform a trace check.
>> >Only

> it
>> >wasn't anything anyone suggested, as I had triple checked everything
>> >that could possibly be checked, and the funny thing is, everything
>> >checked out A-OK. I was just about ready to give up, when I thought
>> >I see how old the battery was. I wiped off the grease to see the
>> >month, Oct. 1, then I

> wiped
>> >more of the grease to check the year, to my surprise, it read 1975
>> >(29+

> year
>> >old battery). I could believe it, because it was putting out 6.32v.
>> >In anycase I put in a new battery 6v, and no more starting problems,
>> >at

> least
>> >for now.
>> >-tom

>> Bwahahaaha. I'm surprised it had any voltage at all. Don't you hate
>> when it's just something simple that you've overlooked?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Cecil
>> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
>> 1970 VW Beetle "Millennium Sparrow"

> Troubleshooting did take a lot out of me, mostly mental. I remember
> my wife saying in the early stages of electrical tracing; "did you
> check the battery?" To add insult to injury, I was in the garage with
> my voltmeter yesterday, and Bev (my wife) drives up, she rolls down
> the window and says: "do you know what today is?" Dumb me says; "ah
> Monday?" as I was desperately going through B-day dates in my head.
> She said; "get dressed, we're going out to dinner!" Finally it hit
> me, it was wedding anniversary, that was close, one foot in the "Dog
> House". Pretty shocking experience. -tom

Well it has happened 28 times, and you still forgot?? LOL

Men.

Oh that would be me too........RIGHT!!! I had an out of man's body
moment there, sorry!

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS
Old March 30th 05, 03:11 PM
Tom Nakashima

"TerryB" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in
> :
> >
> > Troubleshooting did take a lot out of me, mostly mental. I remember
> > my wife saying in the early stages of electrical tracing; "did you
> > check the battery?" To add insult to injury, I was in the garage with
> > my voltmeter yesterday, and Bev (my wife) drives up, she rolls down
> > the window and says: "do you know what today is?" Dumb me says; "ah
> > Monday?" as I was desperately going through B-day dates in my head.
> > She said; "get dressed, we're going out to dinner!" Finally it hit
> > me, it was wedding anniversary, that was close, one foot in the "Dog
> > House". Pretty shocking experience. -tom
> >

> Well it has happened 28 times, and you still forgot?? LOL
>
> Men.
>
> Oh that would be me too........RIGHT!!! I had an out of man's body
> moment there, sorry!
>

> --
> Terry B
> AKA VDUBBS
> Buggin in Bama
> http://vdubbs64.tripod.com

Yea, as my wife says, "MEN, can't live with them, can't live without them!"
After all these years of marriage, I could probably count the romantic times
in the past year on my left hand...but on our anniversary, I could honestly
say I did get my battery charged.
-tom