528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions

Old January 12th 05, 06:05 AM
FSJ

Default 528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions

Hello All,

BMWCCA member with three past BMW's in my history including a 1983 533i,
1993 325i, and a 1997 528I.

My question is this. My 528i was a wonderful vehicle and saved my life in a
bad accident however the other drivers insurance company fixed the car for
some unknown reason and I wasn't smart enough back then to dispute or push
for it to be totaled. Needless to say I encountered all types of problems
afterwards and traded it in for a Chevy Silverado as I was going to need the
hauling and towing capacity it offered.

So I have been in a BMW withdraw and oh how it hurts for almost two years.
Reliability wise which is the best model and or years to go after? I like
the 2001 on wide screen navigation screens and would love the Six Speed gear
box in the 540i. What is the difference reliability and cost wise between
the inline sixes and the 540i?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,

FSJ

Old January 12th 05, 06:45 AM
Jim Levie

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:05:57 +0000, FSJ wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> BMWCCA member with three past BMW's in my history including a 1983 533i,
> 1993 325i, and a 1997 528I.
>
> My question is this. My 528i was a wonderful vehicle and saved my life in
> a bad accident however the other drivers insurance company fixed the car
> for some unknown reason and I wasn't smart enough back then to dispute or
> push for it to be totaled. Needless to say I encountered all types of
> problems afterwards and traded it in for a Chevy Silverado as I was going
> to need the hauling and towing capacity it offered.
>
> So I have been in a BMW withdraw and oh how it hurts for almost two years.
> Reliability wise which is the best model and or years to go after? I like
> the 2001 on wide screen navigation screens and would love the Six Speed
> gear box in the 540i. What is the difference reliability and cost wise
> between the inline sixes and the 540i?

From what I see the 525 or 530 has the lower TCO and are more reliable
than the 540. I'll confess to being a bit biased in that I'm perfectly
willing to give up the additional power and torque of the 540 in favor
of the better balance of the in-line six powered cars (I like the
twisties more than straight line acceleration). Besides, there's nothing
that sounds quite as good as an in-line six at 6000rpm. Unless it might be
a v12 at 9000rpm.

The late versions of the 530 with the dual Vanos are surprisingly peppy,
especially once you get over 3k. And the 525 isn't bad either. If you are
patient you should be able to find good used 525/530 with a manual (and
maybe even a sport package) at a fairly reasonable price. But in any case
go out and drive a 525, 530, and 540 of 2001 or later vintage. I think
you'll like what you see.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 12th 05, 04:13 PM
bfd

"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:05:57 +0000, FSJ wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> BMWCCA member with three past BMW's in my history including a 1983 533i,
>> 1993 325i, and a 1997 528I.
>>
>> My question is this. My 528i was a wonderful vehicle and saved my life in
>> a bad accident however the other drivers insurance company fixed the car
>> for some unknown reason and I wasn't smart enough back then to dispute or
>> push for it to be totaled. Needless to say I encountered all types of
>> problems afterwards and traded it in for a Chevy Silverado as I was going
>> to need the hauling and towing capacity it offered.
>>
>> So I have been in a BMW withdraw and oh how it hurts for almost two
>> years.
>> Reliability wise which is the best model and or years to go after? I like
>> the 2001 on wide screen navigation screens and would love the Six Speed
>> gear box in the 540i. What is the difference reliability and cost wise
>> between the inline sixes and the 540i?
>>

> From what I see the 525 or 530 has the lower TCO and are more reliable
> than the 540. I'll confess to being a bit biased in that I'm perfectly
> willing to give up the additional power and torque of the 540 in favor
> of the better balance of the in-line six powered cars (I like the
> twisties more than straight line acceleration). Besides, there's nothing
> that sounds quite as good as an in-line six at 6000rpm. Unless it might be
> a v12 at 9000rpm.
>
> The late versions of the 530 with the dual Vanos are surprisingly peppy,
> especially once you get over 3k. And the 525 isn't bad either. If you are
> patient you should be able to find good used 525/530 with a manual (and
> maybe even a sport package) at a fairly reasonable price. But in any case
> go out and drive a 525, 530, and 540 of 2001 or later vintage. I think
> you'll like what you see.

Good advice. I would test drive a 530i with 5spd and sport suspension and
compare it to a similarly equipped 540i and decide. If you can forgo the V8,
the 2001-2003 E39 530i with 5speed manual is the "best buy"....

Old January 12th 05, 04:34 PM
fbloogyudsr

"bfd" > wrote
> "Jim Levie" > wrote Good advice. I would test drive
> a 530i with 5spd and sport suspension and compare it to a similarly
> equipped 540i and decide. If you can forgo the V8, the 2001-2003 E39 530i
> with 5speed manual is the "best buy"....

Just a nit: late versions of 530i (and 330i) had a 6 speed.

Floyd

Old January 12th 05, 05:57 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"FSJ" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> BMWCCA member with three past BMW's in my history including a 1983 533i,
> 1993 325i, and a 1997 528I.
>
> My question is this. My 528i was a wonderful vehicle and saved my life in

> bad accident however the other drivers insurance company fixed the car for
> some unknown reason and I wasn't smart enough back then to dispute or push
> for it to be totaled. Needless to say I encountered all types of problems
> afterwards and traded it in for a Chevy Silverado as I was going to need

the
> hauling and towing capacity it offered.
>
> So I have been in a BMW withdraw and oh how it hurts for almost two years.
> Reliability wise which is the best model and or years to go after? I like
> the 2001 on wide screen navigation screens and would love the Six Speed

gear
> box in the 540i. What is the difference reliability and cost wise between
> the inline sixes and the 540i?

I owned a 530 and then a 540 (thinking I was moving up) and have come to the
easy conclusion the 530 is the better car. Though neither of mine had
significant problems the record shows the 530 more reliable than the 540 and
better resale value as a percentage of original cost. I like the singing of
the 3.0 at high revs and I like the balance of the car almost as much as I
like the R&P steering over the numbness (by comparison) the steering of the
540 provides.

I just think the 530 is really a better driver (auto to auto, stick to
stick, Sport to Sport). The single advantage in the 540 was that in a
straight line it gave a performance the 530 really couldn't come close to
equaling, but...and I have read it here before, the 530, in my mind, was
easily the best example of the E39 model range. It is a particularly
enjoyable car in the mountains.

Old January 12th 05, 08:02 PM
John Carrier

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "bfd" > wrote
>> "Jim Levie" > wrote Good advice. I would test drive
>> a 530i with 5spd and sport suspension and compare it to a similarly
>> equipped 540i and decide. If you can forgo the V8, the 2001-2003 E39 530i
>> with 5speed manual is the "best buy"....

> Just a nit: late versions of 530i (and 330i) had a 6 speed.

Untrue. I have a very late production 2003 530 SP 5-speed. The 6-speed was
never offered on the E39 6-cylinder cars. A shame because a 6-speed with a
3.15 or 3.26 would enliven the performance and give slightly better mileage.

R / John

Old January 12th 05, 08:17 PM
fbloogyudsr

"John Carrier" > wrote
> "fbloogyudsr" > wrote
>> "bfd" > wrote
>>> "Jim Levie" > wrote Good advice. I would test
>>> drive a 530i with 5spd and sport suspension and compare it to a
>>> similarly equipped 540i and decide. If you can forgo the V8, the
>>> 2001-2003 E39 530i with 5speed manual is the "best buy"....

>> Just a nit: late versions of 530i (and 330i) had a 6 speed.

> Untrue. I have a very late production 2003 530 SP 5-speed. The 6-speed
> was never offered on the E39 6-cylinder cars. A shame because a 6-speed
> with a 3.15 or 3.26 would enliven the performance and give slightly better
> mileage.

REALLY!? I just assumed because the 325/330 got the 6 speed!
More cost cutting, I guess.

Floyd

Old January 13th 05, 12:24 AM
Tom Korth

"pete" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:05:57 GMT, "FSJ"
>
> I have 535 V8 that is pure luxury with power but it only does 20 mpg
> when it isn't broke so my choice would be a 530D as long as it was
> also an auto and had all the stuff that my car has. I have horsepower
> and speed I will never or at least rarely use so I would much prefer
> the economy of a diesel. But here again when I get my car working
> again and the sun is shining I will probably be glad I have my motor
> as long as it isn't broke again this year;-)
> pete

How long has the 530d been available in the U.S.A? (see thread title)

Tom

Old January 13th 05, 12:57 AM
Bradburn Fentress

"Tom Korth" > wrote in message
news

> "pete" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:05:57 GMT, "FSJ"
> >
> > I have 535 V8 that is pure luxury with power but it only does 20 mpg
> > when it isn't broke so my choice would be a 530D as long as it was
> > also an auto and had all the stuff that my car has. I have horsepower
> > and speed I will never or at least rarely use so I would much prefer
> > the economy of a diesel. But here again when I get my car working
> > again and the sun is shining I will probably be glad I have my motor
> > as long as it isn't broke again this year;-)
> > pete

> How long has the 530d been available in the U.S.A? (see thread title)

Not to mention that BMW places a premium on their diesel autos (unlike
Mercedes) so one has to drive approximately 250,000 miles or so before that
fuel economy covers the added cost of the engine (at least at US diesel
prices, currently $ 1.95 p/g). I realize some people will, but the majority
will not drive one car for that many miles. I think that is one of the
reason we don't see them on our shores quite yet. The economy really isn't
there until you have driven a long long time and Americans in general don't
do that in one car.

Old January 13th 05, 04:10 AM
FSJ

Hello All,

First thank you for all the replies, discussion, and view points of these
awesome vehicles.

Second I sure wish they had offered a Six Speed in the E39 Inline Six cars.

Sounds like the considered opinion of the group is a late model 530i,
manual, then I will tack on the navigation, heated seats, sport package, and
window shades or am I wanting too much hopefully not!

Once again THANK YOU ALL,

FSJ