Change over

Old January 9th 05, 12:56 PM
Basile1

Default Change over

I have a 1987 Chevy Asto van , and was wondering can I swap over from a
4.3 to a 5.7 350 with out much promblem??

Old January 9th 05, 04:14 PM
pater

Know a guy who did one, neat van but wouldn't do it unless your very
adept at fabrication & swapping all the electronics etc. from a full
size van that came with a 5.7. It's a tight squeeze but doable, be
prepared for some "fun" times. Good luck.

Old January 10th 05, 10:50 AM
BBA

> I have a 1987 Chevy Asto van , and was wondering can I swap over from a
> 4.3 to a 5.7 350 with out much promblem??

you won't be able to register in the US. engine has to be the same size as well
as the same year or later!

BBA

Old January 10th 05, 02:13 PM
HLS

"Basile1" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1987 Chevy Asto van , and was wondering can I swap over from a
> 4.3 to a 5.7 350 with out much promblem??

Even simple swaps take a good bit of work. I am including 'bolt up's.
But there is plenty of support for GM products of this type and it should be
reasonably straightforward.

You dont say anything about the transmission you presently have in the van.
It might, or might not, be compatible with the new engine.

The easiest swap might be to take everything including engine, tranny, ECM,
driveshaft, etc from the donor vehicle.

Old January 10th 05, 11:03 PM
dcg

That's bull.. It depends on how up tight the local emission rules are.
I wouldn't try it in Cali, but here in Texas you'd have absolutely no
problems in 95% of the cities. Technically, I believe you can't swap
to an older motor, but you can swap to one that is newer and retains
all emissions controls...

Most 4.3 to SBC swaps are "relatively" easy - when compared to going to
a totally new motor design. Ideally you'd have all the electronics to
do the swap... Still you'll need skills above your average part-time
mechanic and you'll probably have to purchase the GM service manuals
for both your van and the donor vehicle.

Tire change for 2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4cyl. grandma Honda 3 December 22nd 04 01:15 PM
BMW-525I - oil change frequency AGIND BMW 29 December 19th 04 02:11 PM
156 Selespeed dimming lights in gear change Azzy Alfa Romeo 3 September 11th 04 11:51 AM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM
THIS ADD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE jaman General 0 May 30th 04 07:05 PM