'04 Jetta pricing - good or bad deal?

Old May 25th 04, 10:24 AM
Kevin Gibbons

Default '04 Jetta pricing - good or bad deal?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T right now, and I've been
doing considerable homework online to ensure I'm getting the best
price. However, even though there are so many research websites
nowdays that will give you MSRP vs. Invoice pricing... you still can't
take these numbers as 100% fact, because you still have manufacturer
to dealer incentives that you can use as a haggling tool. Only
problem is, it's almost impossible to find out just what these
manufacturer to dealer incentives are in most cases.

So one of the better research tools I've used is CarsDirect.com They
don't come right out and tell you what the manufacturer to dealer
incentives are, but they give a "Target Price" that the customer
should aim for that's almost always well below Invoice price. So I
would have to guess that they ARE factoring in current incentives on
top of invoice pricing.

So when I put together this GLS 1.8T with all the options I want, the
Target Price comes out to $20,948 Here's a screencap of the
CarsDirect page with all the options added in:
http://www.kgibbons.com/carsdirect-screencap.jpg

Now when I look up this same car on Edmunds.com, I get a higher "TMV"
price -- but Edmunds does tell you an actual number on the
Manufacturer to Dealer incentive -- which they're reporting is $1500
until 06/01/04

So long story short... as I expected, the local dealers tell you that
the internet research is wrong and they won't come down to match these
prices. They're somewhat close, but still around $700 more than the
CarsDirect target pricing.

And the reason for this is because the dealer is telling me the actual
VW to dealer rebate is $750, not $1500 But of course I can't verify
this... so they kind of stick you on this one. I think they're flat
out lying to me on this one -- so if anyone knows of a good website
that gives this information out, by all means let me know.

Their bottom line price for this car with the same options comes out
to $21,653 And in this price workup, they're tacked on some very
odd-looking charges. Check these out:

Clean fee - $130
Locate Fee - $100
Floor Plan - $142
Port Fee - $25
Ad Fees - $100

All total, these little misc. fees add up to $497

Now I could be ignorant on this one, but I've never once seen any
dealer flat out charge the customer a "Clean fee" for a new vehicle.
It's just always been my understanding that new cars are delivered to
customer clean... and the customer isn't charged for it!

And these other fees such as "Floor plan" and "Ad Fees" -- for those
knowledgable pricing gurus out there, does it look like this dealer is
trying to squeeze an extra $500 out of me here? Because it certainly
looks that way to me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated... since I'll most
likely be making this purchase within the week. And I have absolutely
no problem traveling a little bit to another dealer to get this deal
right

Many thanks in advance!

KG