Valve guides - Jeep I-6

Old January 3rd 05, 11:30 PM
Ralf

Default Valve guides - Jeep I-6

Can the valve guides be replaced on an in-line 6 without pulling the head?
sorry for dumb questions and thanks.

R. Griffith

Old January 3rd 05, 11:44 PM
Jeff Strickland

In theory, yes. In practice? That's another matter.

You have to remove the cam shaft, then you can pressurize the cylinders one
at a time, and remove the valve springs, then take the guides out and put
new ones in.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
DougW

Ralf did pass the time by typing:
> Can the valve guides be replaced on an in-line 6 without pulling the head?
> sorry for dumb questions and thanks.

"The only dumb question is the one left unasked."

And yes, they can. But, you need something to keep the valves from
falling in. Either compressed air into the cylinder (leakdown kit
if you have one, or a long bit of cord you can pack in.

You can also rotate the engine so the pistons are up for the cylinders
your working on. Then use a bit of vac hose to hold onto the valves.
(don't use vicegrips it farks up the surface) ... I know someone who
did this then wondered why his new seals wore so fast. :/ amazing.

While your in there you might want to go ahead and replace the valve
springs. It's fairly cheap and the springs do weaken over time.
Also check the push rods/rockers for proper wear pattern.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 4th 05, 12:05 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ralf,
"Valve Guides" are an machinist operation, and done to an empty
head, clamped to a gig, as part of a valve grind.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 4th 05, 01:19 AM
Jo Bo

Do you mean valve seals? As another replied, guides are part of rebuilding
the head. Off the jeep and with valves removed.

JoBo

Old January 4th 05, 03:20 AM
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:
> Ralf did pass the time by typing:
>> Can the valve guides be replaced on an in-line 6 without pulling the head?
>> sorry for dumb questions and thanks.

> "The only dumb question is the one left unasked."
>
> And yes, they can. But, you need something to keep the valves from
> falling in. Either compressed air into the cylinder (leakdown kit
> if you have one, or a long bit of cord you can pack in.
>
> You can also rotate the engine so the pistons are up for the cylinders
> your working on. Then use a bit of vac hose to hold onto the valves.
> (don't use vicegrips it farks up the surface) ... I know someone who
> did this then wondered why his new seals wore so fast. :/ amazing.
>
> While your in there you might want to go ahead and replace the valve
> springs. It's fairly cheap and the springs do weaken over time.
> Also check the push rods/rockers for proper wear pattern.

Ack!.. but there are dumb answers to questions.

Seals, yes, guides, no, that's a head-off and take it to the shop
operation.

--
DougW

Old January 4th 05, 09:46 PM