replacing timing belt

Old January 14th 05, 11:13 AM
Sven Agardh

T wrote:
> Sven Agardh wrote:
>
>> I have a Passat TDI '00. When I asked the VAG dealer how much he would
>> charge me for replacing the timing belt the price he gave me was, at
>> least to my ears, very high. The specification of the price included a
>> new water pump. When I asked him why, he answered that you always
>> replace the water pump while replacing the timing belt. Is that true?
>> Shouldn't the water pump last a lot longer than the timing belt? I've
>> never done that on my previous car. On that car the original water
>> pump was replaced after 550 000 km.
>>
>> /Sven

> Well, based on your model year I would think this is the type of pump
> that is (of course) running off the timing belt, partly built into the
> block as opposed to the early style that was running off a 'fan belt' (v
> belt) from a second pulley on the crank. Same kind of belts also ran the
> Alt, and the P/S-A/C if you had em.
>
> In the old style you could do them separately but in _your_ case the
> timing belt needs to be disturbed to replace the water pump so this is
> one of those thing where you might as well do them while you are in there.
>
> It's partly a preventative measure and partly a 'pay me now or pay me
> later' type thing.
>

> What is the replacement interval for the belt? For the water pump?
>

> TBerk

According to my Haynes manual the replacement interval for the timing
belt is 90 000 km, but no interval is stated for the water pump, so I
assumed it was something that was replaced when broken. Does the Bentley
manual say something else? My only other experience with water pumps is
a pump that broke down after 550 000 km, so I thought they almost last
forever. I could understand that you replace the timing belt when you
replace the water pump, as mad8vskillz stated, but not the other way around.

According to a701440 they don't last that long anymore, so I guess I'd
better replace the water pump too.

Thanks to all who answered to my question.

/Sven
Old January 14th 05, 11:47 AM
R J Carpenter

"rat" > wrote

> IT is INSANE to think that VW would make such a change for cost
> reasons.

I have a relative who works for an automobile manufacturer. The word
came from "on high" that costs HAD to be reduced X% per year. That's
hard to do.

Old January 14th 05, 12:49 PM

rat wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2005 07:50:42 -0800, "a701440" > wrote:
>
> >Sven Agardh wrote:

> >In order to cut costs the past several years. VW started to install
> >water pumps that have plastic impeller rather than a metal one.

These
> >plastic impellers routinely crack and fall apart in about 70,000

miles.
> >That's why it is recommended to replace it with the timing belt

since
> >the pump would be easily accessible then. I think you can purchase

an
> >aftermarket water pump for 1.8T that has a metal impeller. Otherwise
> >your VW dealer would just put another plastic one in.
> >

> Cut costs?? Do you have any idea how TINY if any at all that change
> would reduce costs?? We are talking a penny per water pump!!!!!

A penney eh? Think again. It is small when compared to the purchase
price for sure, but as already been stated, the mfgs look for the sweet
spot on cost.

Old January 14th 05, 01:48 PM

$100 i can give you the numbers of about 100 local (pennsylvania)
garages that can do it for that or less.

Old January 14th 05, 10:09 PM
Woodchuck

If your water pump runs off the t-belt, then by all means replace it when
replacing the t-belt.

Old January 14th 05, 10:20 PM
rat

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:47:04 -0500, "R J Carpenter"
> wrote:

>"rat" > wrote
>>
>> IT is INSANE to think that VW would make such a change for cost
>> reasons.

>I have a relative who works for an automobile manufacturer. The word
>came from "on high" that costs HAD to be reduced X% per year. That's
>hard to do.

I know all about the automotive industry. I work for a major supplier
of lubricants to the US auto industry and know first hand about how
they squeeze their suppliers. But make no mistake, there is NO
lowering of quality standards. The Japanese cars will KILL them if
they do. I seriously doubt VW is any different.

Old January 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Erik Dillenkofer

Replace the timing belt on a TDI for $100? You're dreaming.

It's $53.00 for the belt and $37.00 for the tensioner (at discount pricing ... not dealer pricing). That's $90.00. Then there's the
"one use only" motor mount stretch bolts that have to be replaced. Parts alone are over $100.00 ... add 4 hours labor to that. I
assume these mechanics also have all the correct tools for the TDI such as the cam lock and the injection pump locking pin to keep
everything aligned ... and the Vag-Com tool the set the injection pump timing once the belt's on?

Old January 15th 05, 12:08 AM
Rob Guenther

At the dealer it's about $105CND for the belt and around the same for the
tensioner, and 74 bucks times 4 for labour.

Plus 15% tax, and you're looking at a nice little bill.

My 91' Golf (1.8 Digifant) was a little cheaper... I think $250 to do the
whole job... still was a 3 hour job if I recall.