1996 saturn sl1 - starting problems

Old November 25th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
enduro

Default 1996 saturn sl1 - starting problems

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1, it is not always making contact with the
starter. The problem is intermittant. I have replaced the starter
with a used one. The battery checks out fine. The positive cable has
continuity on each end. There are times it will start and an hour
later it will not start. At times I can hear the solenoid clicking.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Erich

Old November 25th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"enduro" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 1996 Saturn SL1, it is not always making contact with the
> starter. The problem is intermittant. I have replaced the starter
> with a used one. The battery checks out fine. The positive cable has
> continuity on each end. There are times it will start and an hour
> later it will not start. At times I can hear the solenoid clicking.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Erich

Are you 100% sure the starter that you installed was good?

Old November 26th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
enduro

Old November 27th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"enduro" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> NapalmHeart wrote:
>> "enduro" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I have a 1996 Saturn SL1, it is not always making contact with the
>> > starter. The problem is intermittant. I have replaced the starter
>> > with a used one. The battery checks out fine. The positive cable has
>> > continuity on each end. There are times it will start and an hour
>> > later it will not start. At times I can hear the solenoid clicking.
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Erich
>> >

>> Are you 100% sure the starter that you installed was good?
>> I purchased the starter-solenoid from auto recycler. They said they bench
>> tested it. When i put it in was fine for about aweek then the
>> intermittent starting problems started. Before the new starter was put in
>> i had the intermittent problems. I am thinking it could be the starter
>> again but unsure. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Since it was installed so recently, I guess I'd try checking the mounting
bolts to make sure they haven't loosened. If they have, you could get
binding and/or a weak connection on the ground side. I like to check the
simple stuff that doesn't cost much if any money before I start buying parts
that I'm not 100% sure are the problem..

Ken

Old December 1st 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mac1833

its either a bad starter or a bad ignition switch.