325is 1994 starting problem...

Old April 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 325is 1994 starting problem...

When my 325 is has been sitting for 24 hours or more, I turn the key
and nothing happens, the second time I might hear just a click. Then
the third or 4th time it will catch and start up as normal. Should I
get the starter replaced? or could it have as well to do with my need
to top up my coolant level every week or so for the last three months?
Something my mechanic cannot pin down... is the starting problem mostly
electrical or could the two be related? many thianks in advance....

Old May 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Freebase wrote:
> When my 325 is has been sitting for 24 hours or more, I turn the key
> and nothing happens, the second time I might hear just a click. Then
> the third or 4th time it will catch and start up as normal. Should I
> get the starter replaced? or could it have as well to do with my need
> to top up my coolant level every week or so for the last three months?
> Something my mechanic cannot pin down... is the starting problem mostly
> electrical or could the two be related? many thianks in advance....

Sounds to me more like an ignition switch problem than a starter
problem, but it could be either. I think it's unrelated to coolant
level problems, but as you probably already know, you should get that
fixed too. I'd be worried about where that coolant was going, for instance.

Ed
Old May 1st 06, 09:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
Freebase > wrote:
> When my 325 is has been sitting for 24 hours or more, I turn the key
> and nothing happens, the second time I might hear just a click.

If you get a click it sounds like the switch and relay are operating -
although relay contacts can go bad so I'd change that first. I dunno your
model but there might be an identical one for an other purpose fitted to
the car which you can swop it with to check.

Next to check is the pull in solenoid for the starter pinion jamming
through dirt or corrosion. It's the cylindrical thing mounted on the
starter motor. After it engages the pinion contacts operate the starter
motor.

> Then the third or 4th time it will catch and start up as normal. Should
> I get the starter replaced?

If it is the solenoid that depends on the labour cost of finding out what
is wrong. The solenoid can be cleaned/replaced on its own.

> or could it have as well to do with my need
> to top up my coolant level every week or so for the last three months?
> Something my mechanic cannot pin down... is the starting problem mostly
> electrical or could the two be related? many thianks in advance....

Many minor leaks are difficult to trace because the coolant evaporates off
on a hot engine, and the leak stops when cold with no pressure in the
system. The way to find these is to use a special dye in the coolant and
pressurise the system cold using compressed air. A prime candidate for
this sort of leak is the water pump.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.