Caravan , noise on changing gear

Old April 27th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default Caravan , noise on changing gear

Hi, is it normal for a 97 Dodge caravan 3.0 V6 with 3-speed trannie
to make a ratchet/thump/crunch noise when going from park to reverse,
neutral to drive, neutral to reverse? The noise stops as soon as it's
in gear.

It has caught up my attention recently.

I don't want any more major repairs. Air-Con rebuilt @ 45K, Head
Gasket serviced @ 55K and many many minor repairs (all sorts of gasket
and sensors blown at low mileage, ghost wiper, blown up radio, big
corrosions at both sliding doors from inside).
This Canadian built van sucks my money well.

Thanks ahead

Old April 27th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

--

"caravan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, is it normal for a 97 Dodge caravan 3.0 V6 with 3-speed trannie
> to make a ratchet/thump/crunch noise when going from park to reverse,
> neutral to drive, neutral to reverse? The noise stops as soon as it's
> in gear.
>
> It has caught up my attention recently.
>
> I don't want any more major repairs. Air-Con rebuilt @ 45K, Head
> Gasket serviced @ 55K and many many minor repairs (all sorts of gasket
> and sensors blown at low mileage, ghost wiper, blown up radio, big
> corrosions at both sliding doors from inside).
> This Canadian built van sucks my money well.
>
> Thanks ahead

It is normal for a 4 speed to make that ratchet noise. chances are that is
the trans that you have.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old April 27th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

that dosn't sound to bad check the transmission fluid maybe get a flush
it'll help a little bit, it's good to do every 60k miles.

Old April 28th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

ups.com...

Old April 28th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

caravan wrote:

> Hi, is it normal for a 97 Dodge caravan 3.0 V6 with 3-speed trannie
> to make a ratchet/thump/crunch noise when going from park to reverse,
> neutral to drive, neutral to reverse? The noise stops as soon as it's
> in gear.
>
> It has caught up my attention recently.

No. As you've already noted, it didn't USED to do this.

But make sure the fluid level is up where it's supposed to be,
and that the fluid is a nice red color, before you do anything else.
Old April 28th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:04:59 -0400, "maxpower"
> wrote:

>"caravan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Hi, is it normal for a 97 Dodge caravan 3.0 V6 with 3-speed trannie
>> to make a ratchet/thump/crunch noise when going from park to reverse,
>> neutral to drive, neutral to reverse? The noise stops as soon as it's
>> in gear.
>>
>> It has caught up my attention recently.
>>
>> I don't want any more major repairs. Air-Con rebuilt @ 45K, Head
>> Gasket serviced @ 55K and many many minor repairs (all sorts of gasket
>> and sensors blown at low mileage, ghost wiper, blown up radio, big
>> corrosions at both sliding doors from inside).
>> This Canadian built van sucks my money well.
>>
>> Thanks ahead
>>

>It is normal for a 4 speed to make that ratchet noise. chances are that is
>the trans that you have.

Rachet noise, or more of a whir/purr, lasts about a second or so,
right? If so, what is it that makes it do that - we had a 96 t+c with
a bad tranny for a work vehicle, kinda paranoid about it happening to
this 97.

Old April 29th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

flobert wrote:

> Rachet noise, or more of a whir/purr, lasts about a second or so,
> right? If so, what is it that makes it do that

From Daniel Stern's write-up:
[http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html]

It's the transmission fluid control solenoid valves opening and shutting
rapidly to make the fluid go where it's supposed to go to shift the
transmission. All the FWD/AWD 4 speed automatics make this sound with
every upshift, every downshift, and every gear selection.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old April 29th 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:27:05 -0400, Isaiah Beard
> wrote:

>flobert wrote:
>

>> Rachet noise, or more of a whir/purr, lasts about a second or so,
>> right? If so, what is it that makes it do that

> From Daniel Stern's write-up:
>[http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html]
>
>It's the transmission fluid control solenoid valves opening and shutting
>rapidly to make the fluid go where it's supposed to go to shift the
>transmission. All the FWD/AWD 4 speed automatics make this sound with
>every upshift, every downshift, and every gear selection.

Whew - makes me feel a lot better, and not worry so much.