Consequences of micropassing/LLBing

Old June 19th 05, 07:21 AM
Old Wolf

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> Paul > was understood to have stated the following:
>
> Why is it LLBs are too stupid to realize this danger?

They think "slower is safer", and ignore any evidence
to the contrary.

Old June 20th 05, 03:22 AM
Brent P

In article et>, Paul wrote:

> IMO, to ride alongside/micropass any large truck is not a bright idea.
> Not just because of the fact that the driver might not see you, but you
> don't want to be next to him if a tire lets go. A few years ago, I was
> about 400 to 500 ft behind a dump truck who had one of his rear tires let
> go. Even at that distance, I felt the shock from the explosion and was
> showered with debris.

About a year ago I had just finished passing a semi in heavy traffic. A
part of the tie downs that held the load on the flat bed let go and
tumbled on to the road. This was just a large bolt or similiar.

Every so often in chicago a coil of sheet metal lets go on one of these
flat beds. Sometimes it kills someone.

I will not remain next to semis for any longer than I am forced to.

Old June 20th 05, 03:25 AM
Brent P

In article >, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
> This is *very* helpful when dealing with those pedestrians and
> cyclists who's parents never taught them to stay out of the road,

A bicycle is a legal, road going vehicle. Your priciple of being able to
dodge applies to drivers who dart out into the road as well. Darting into
the road using any vehicle or on foot is bad.

As a road bicyclist I've had to dodge countless people who have darted
out into the road in front of me with any number of vehicles or on foot,
not to mention pets.

Old June 20th 05, 07:32 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 6/19/2005 7:22 PM, Brent P wrote:

> About a year ago I had just finished passing a semi in heavy traffic. A
> part of the tie downs that held the load on the flat bed let go and
> tumbled on to the road. This was just a large bolt or similiar.
>
> Every so often in chicago a coil of sheet metal lets go on one of these
> flat beds. Sometimes it kills someone.

What appeared to be a large engine block breaking loose from a flatbed
and bouncing it's way across 4 lanes of light traffic (of course the
semi carrying it was a LLB!) was an absolutely terrifying sight to behold.

Thank goodness I beheld it in my rearview mirror...

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.