High-beams broken?

Old January 24th 05, 09:30 PM
Old Wolf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Alexander Rogge wrote:
>
> > They look like the usual Toyota DRLs, but I noticed that the
> > parking lights were also on. Do the DRLs stay on if you turn
> > the headlamp switch to the parking lights position?

> An unenforced provision in US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
> Standard 108 reuqires that DRLs extinguish when the headlamp
> switch is in ANY "on" position (i.e., turning on the parkers
> is *required* to extinguish the DRLs).

I have a Toyota with running lights in the bumper. They're every
bit as bright as the main head lamps (when not on full beam, that is).
It's actually *not possible* to turn them on without turning the
headlamps on (ie. the RL switch has no effect if the headlamps are
off).

Old January 25th 05, 03:48 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Old Wolf wrote:

> I have a Toyota with running lights in the bumper. They're every bit as
> bright as the main head lamps (when not on full beam, that is). It's
> actually *not possible* to turn them on without turning the headlamps on
> (ie. the RL switch has no effect if the headlamps are off).

No, you have a Toyota with FOG lamps in the bumper. This discussion is
about North American Daytime Running Lights, which are not legal in your
country. Please learn what your lights are for (fog lamps are not for
"running") and use them correctly. Do the same with Usenet threads.
Old January 25th 05, 01:08 PM
N8N

Timothy J. Lee wrote:
> In article ch.edu>,
> Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
> >On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Alexander Rogge wrote:
> >
> >> They look like the usual Toyota DRLs, but I noticed that the

parking
> >> lights were also on. Do the DRLs stay on if you turn the headlamp
> >> switch to the parking lights position?

> >A poorly-thought-out provision in Canada Motor Vehicle Safety

Standard 108
> >requires that DRLs remain illuminated until the actual headlamps are
> >switched on (i.e., turning on the parkers is not permitted to

extinguish
> >the DRLs).
> >
> >An unenforced provision in US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard

108
> >reuqires that DRLs extinguish when the headlamp switch is in ANY

"on"
> >position (i.e., turning on the parkers is *required* to extinguish

the
> >DRLs).

> Some car companies get around those regulations by not having any

parking
> lamp position on the switch. I.e. you have two choices: DRL, or

full
> headlamps on. Not the best thing in the world if you actually need

> have just the parking lamps (without DRLs or headlamps) on.

At least on a VW, this is easily solved by purchasing a Euro headlight
switch, which wouldn't be legal in Canada but is perfectly spiffy for
the US.

nate

Old January 25th 05, 08:08 PM
Old Wolf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Old Wolf wrote:
>
> > I have a Toyota with running lights in the bumper. They're every
> > bit as bright as the main head lamps (when not on full beam,
> > that is). It's actually *not possible* to turn them on without
> > turning the headlamps on

> No, you have a Toyota with FOG lamps in the bumper. This discussion
> is about North American Daytime Running Lights, which are not legal
> in your country. Please learn what your lights are for (fog lamps
> are not for "running") and use them correctly.
> Do the same with Usenet threads.

Well, thanks for the polite response. If they are fog lights then
they aren't very useful ones (if your page on fog lights is
anything to go by). Also, the local police refer to them as
'running lights' . (I have a friend with a 1997 MR2, which has
lights in the same position in its bumper, except they point
a bit more downwards whereas mine point straight ahead). He was
issued a caution for having them on at night, the policeman said
that he was only allowed to have them on in the daytime.

Old January 25th 05, 09:52 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Old Wolf wrote:

> > > I have a Toyota with running lights in the bumper. They're every bit
> > > as bright as the main head lamps (when not on full beam, that is).
> > > It's actually *not possible* to turn them on without turning the
> > > headlamps on

> > No, you have a Toyota with FOG lamps in the bumper. This discussion is
> > about North American Daytime Running Lights, which are not legal in
> > your country. Please learn what your lights are for (fog lamps are not
> > for "running") and use them correctly. Do the same with Usenet
> > threads.

> If they are fog lights then they aren't very useful ones

That's a common affliction among factory or dealer-optional fog lamps.

> Also, the local police refer to them as 'running lights'.

Your local police probably know/care about as much about automotive
lighting function and implementation as the local police everywhere I've
ever lived (in North America -- cops in Europe are generally more tuned
into the matter).

> He was issued a caution for having them on at night, the policeman said
> that he was only allowed to have them on in the daytime.

Entirely possible. There are many strange lighting-usage laws around the
world, and "Must not use fog lamps after dark" can be found in a few
jurisdictions.

DS

92 SL2 - Broken Odometer/Trip Meter Elson Trinidad Saturn 2 January 10th 05 03:52 AM
1988 Olds 88 3800V6 keeps blowing cam sensors, high HC, CO emissions Glen Cooper Technology 9 January 5th 05 04:18 AM
Extremely high idle question stinknugget Saturn 2 December 6th 04 11:26 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
"Oil prices rise to 13-year high, threaten economy" Mike General 0 March 18th 04 09:16 PM