Just bought a 2004 with 29,000 miles

Old December 19th 04, 04:14 AM
Jah Free I

Default Just bought a 2004 with 29,000 miles

I just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT with 29,000 miles (for $19,888).

I didn't get get extended warranty since it still has factory 6,000 more
factory warranty miles left.

Is the reliability of this vehicle good, or should I purchase the warranty
before the 6000 miles is up?

Old December 19th 04, 05:09 PM
Big Bill

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:14:31 -0500, Jah Free I
> wrote:

>I just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT with 29,000 miles (for $19,888).
>
>I didn't get get extended warranty since it still has factory 6,000 more
>factory warranty miles left.
>
>Is the reliability of this vehicle good, or should I purchase the warranty
>before the 6000 miles is up?

I often wonder about questions like this...
Isn't it a little late to be wondering about the reliability of a this
vehicle? You already bought it.
Not addressed to *YOU* you, but the generic asker of the question.

To be more on topic; the cost of the extended warranty will be pegged
to the warranty maker's opinion of the reliability of the vehicle the
warranty applies to. IOW, it doesn't really matter what *we* think
about the warranty, as the warranty's cost will be adjusted already
according to the reliability fo the vehicle.
If, for example, we all think your truck will fail 3 days after the
factory warranty dies, the cost of an extended wearranty will be very
high, and you'll need it.
OTOH, if we think your truck will probably last until it has 250K
miles or 8 years (whichever comes first), the warranty won't cost as
much, and you'll probably not need it.
So, check on the costs of the warranty from various vendors, and make
your decision: does the cost match your desire to protect your
investment? If so, buy one. If not, don't.

Personally, I've only bought one extended warranty for a vehicle, and
it paid for itself on the one repair it needed and was covered for,
for what that's worth.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 19th 04, 06:22 PM
Jim Warman

Bill..... after everything I've said in the past about extended
warrantys.... I finally bought one - on Mrs mechanics new washing machine. I
found out the computer board was most of the cost of the machine and figured
that this (combined with the fact it lives in a water machine) might be
wise.

I'll be the first to let everyone know how it works out....

Old December 20th 04, 01:10 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:22:29 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Bill..... after everything I've said in the past about extended
>warrantys.... I finally bought one - on Mrs mechanics new washing machine. I
>found out the computer board was most of the cost of the machine and figured
>that this (combined with the fact it lives in a water machine) might be
>wise.
>
>I'll be the first to let everyone know how it works out....

Well, I did say "for a vehicle".
I've bought them for other items occasionally, and I don't think I've
come out ahead.
The most use I got out of them was for digital cameras; I've had two
repaired under extended warranty.
But the others haven't paid off, for the most part. But they provide
peace of mind (strangely, for SWMBO, more than myself).

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 20th 04, 02:58 AM
Jim Warman

SWMBO???? You go to the woodworking NGs by any chance????? Not often you see
that acronym....

BTW, that's where I learned DAMHIKT!!

Old December 20th 04, 05:18 PM
Ted

Ahhh She Who Must....etc! I'm a woodworker too.

Back to our story:
If you have the option to buy the warranty for the same $'s now or 5500
miles later, why not wait? See how good it is as long as you're still
covered, then consider it's reliability then so far. I rarely buy them
for anything, but I'm also a pretty mechanical guy and can fix alot
myself.

Ted

Old December 20th 04, 06:56 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:58:51 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>SWMBO???? You go to the woodworking NGs by any chance????? Not often you see
>that acronym....

No, I don't do woodworking much lately.

>BTW, that's where I learned DAMHIKT!!

I had to look that one up!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old January 1st 05, 03:12 AM

Jah Free I wrote:
> I just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT with 29,000 miles (for $19,888).
>
> I didn't get get extended warranty since it still has factory 6,000 more
> factory warranty miles left.
>
> Is the reliability of this vehicle good, or should I purchase the warranty
> before the 6000 miles is up?

I just bought a similar vehicle -- Explorer XLT with 22,000 miles,V6,
4WD, nicely equipped. It was a rental vehicle -- local dealers all had
4-6 of these on their used car lots, each of them with 20-25K miles,
similar equipment -- looks like Hertz must be trading in their Explorer
fleet.

Anyway, this is the first U.S.-made vehicle I have purchased in 30 years
(except for an F150 that I bought in 82 and sold in 85) -- everything
else has been Nissans.

I have NEVER purchased an extended warranty on anything -- appliances,
computers, vehicles. However, I bought the 5 yr/75,000 mile extended
warranty on my Explorer. The warranty covers damn near every part of
the vehicle -- and I just bailed out my daughter to the tune of $700 for
repairs on her Ranger's transfer case (which was out of warranty). I
figure the price of the extended warranty is good insurance on my Explorer.

Old January 5th 05, 05:35 AM
Blinky

Jah Free I > wrote in
news
> or should I purchase the warranty ... ?

Thanks! I think I will take them up on their offer .... maybe next month.

I'm new to 4x4s AND Fords, so I better act responsibly :-)
Old January 5th 05, 08:19 PM
Ivanoff

I bought a '98 XLT in 2000 that had 28k miles on it. It had a 60k
extended warranty. I bumped it up to 100k warranty and am glad I did.
The ball joints and some other stuff went out on it and the warrenty
paid for everything and paid for itself. Make sure it is a FORD
warranty ONLY, and NOT a 3rd party warranty.