ATF Leak 93 Passat VR6

Old October 31st 04, 05:15 PM
Paul

Default ATF Leak 93 Passat VR6

I had a small ATF leak on my 93 Passat GLX VR6 with 104,000 miles.
Otherwise the transmission is quiet and shifts great. The dealer said that
VW does not recommend servicing this kind of leak on a car with this many
miles, just occasionally top off the fluid. They say that draining out the
old ATF and associatied clutch particles would start the clutches wearing
and quickly kill the transmission. Sounded weird, but they were emphatic.
After a while the leak stopped. So my two questions. Is the dealer right?
and Second, do I check the fluid level in the traditional way, with a hot
transmission in Drive and my wife's foot on the brake? I don't have a
proper manual for this car. It has a traditional dipstick.

Thanks!

Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 07:01 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
pierburg 2e3 leak Peter Parker VW air cooled 0 November 16th 04 11:20 PM
Passat or New Passat? Jeff Bailey VW water cooled 11 October 16th 04 06:33 PM