Undercoat: Dealers still do this???

Old March 3rd 05, 04:22 AM

Default Undercoat: Dealers still do this???

My Dad had decided to get a Honda Odyssey, after me telling him
repeatedly it was the best of the bunch.

His favorite dealer was a Chevy/GM dealer, so Dad didn't even ask him
about a Honda, to spare his feelings.

Went to another dealer, farther away, and looked at their Odysseys.
They chat by the van for a bit, and the dealer actually says, "Oh, I'll
have to add $950 to the sticker price for the undercoat!!!!!" Dad was
immediately put off by this, even though he never watches Seinfeld!!

Dad finally mentions what's up to his favorite dealer, who says,
"Honda? I can get you one. Undercoat? Pure profit for the dealer,
waste of money!!" Now you see why he's Dad's favorite!!

Bonehead dealer calls my Dad, <furious> that Dad went with someone
else. <Demands> to know who it was, Dad refuses. Bonehead starts
calling all over the state, trying to find out who got his deal. Some
of these other dealers call my Dad's dealer, who tells my Dad.

I about fell over when Dad mentioned the undercoat. I figured after
Seinfeld made a gag out of it, that the dealers would think of some
other scam.

Guess not, eh?

Mike
O-

Old March 3rd 05, 06:23 AM
halo2 guy

It is certainly unecessary to perform the undercoating service. The point of
undercoating is supposed to prevent rust. However the undercoat can trap
moisture and make rust happen quicker. Some manufacturers won't warranty
such a claim if caused by undercoat.

The cars now days have been dipped in special chemicals and have lots of
plastic underneath so undercoating is not necessary. It may provide some
sound deadening but I would not pay more than $100 for it. I used to apply
the undercoating to new cars when I worked at the dealer.

oups.com...